Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes,
I might be transfering to San Diego from Washington with my job and was wondering where the places are to ride? I'm pretty much an trail and all-mtn rider. Also where would be some good areas to live that would be a good location for getting to trails? I'm also a part time roadie (I confess).:skep: I will be working at the San Diego airport and don't won't a huge commute. Thanks for any advice. Adios, Dave:confused:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
titusdc said:
I will be working at the San Diego airport and don't won't a huge commute. Thanks for any advice. Adios, Dave:confused:
Ha! Good luck with that. Though admittedly I'm not familiar with the airport area. When I lived in San Diego (near Qualcomm stadium) I had a 17 mile commute (one way) and it took over 45 mins in the morning. The evenings were worse. I can't imagine traffic has gotten much better down there since I moved an hour north. I know it's only getting worse here.

There are trails pretty much all over, just depends on what you are looking for. No "epics" right in town. Trail info:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/page.cfm?PageID=45

http://members.cox.net/garyfox/

·
used to be uno-speedo....
1,279 Posts
You can't have it all but you can compromise.

For a short commute the areas I'd look at are Point Loma, Ocean Beach or Pacific Beach. Preferably in that order. With that in mind you'll have PCH and Mount Soledad for road riding. Mountain biking you'd be looking at Rose Canyon and Florida Canyon, which is more what I'd call get a quick fix of trail riding. Otherwise all your other mountain biking trails would be a drive away.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
This thread looks like a good place for me to post rather than starting a new thread... I don't think this is hijacking since it's closely related...

I'll be in SD for a conference at the Convention Center sometime around Feb.4-7 and may have 1/2 day or more of free time (I'm hoping)... is there a good convenient shop where I could rent a XC/trail bike and ride one of those "quick fix" trails (Rose Canyon or Florida Canyon) within a short window of time, say 3-5 hours from the Convention Center? I figured that maybe a 5-15 mile ride in the hills would be awesome.

It's probably wishful thinking that I can work this out, but I'm thinking wishfully :)

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
uno-speedo said:
You can't have it all but you can compromise.

For a short commute the areas I'd look at are Point Loma, Ocean Beach or Pacific Beach. Preferably in that order. With that in mind you'll have PCH and Mount Soledad for road riding. Mountain biking you'd be looking at Rose Canyon and Florida Canyon, which is more what I'd call get a quick fix of trail riding. Otherwise all your other mountain biking trails would be a drive away.
This sounds pretty good, although Pacific Beach (also known as PB) isn't real close. Ocean Beach (you guessed it: OB) has its good and bad parts. In OB, I'd stay away from the area near the rivermouth and pier. As you go up on the hills or down towards Sunset Cliffs, it gets more stable and less transient. Ocean Beach, Loma Portal, Sunset Cliffs, and Point Loma are all communities on the geographical feature called Point Loma. There are some nice neighborhhods north of downtown as well, but not living in that area any more I hesitate to recommend any. I will note that areas on either side of the airport do suffer from jet noise.

I used to live in San Diego. San Diego seems like one big urban sprawl, but has lots of distinct districts and neighborhoods. Because of the bays, river, hills and canyons, there are very few streets that run in straight lines for any distance. I highly recommend getting one of those Thomas Brothers street atlases. They are super helpful for finding your way around, as they have a drill down map system of regional and local street maps, all indexed in the back with page and grid numbers. You should be able to pick one up at a bookstore or at Costco.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
What kind of housing are you looking for? Are you single/married? Kids? Is your work schedule flexible? You might want to look at the La Mesa/San Carlos area. You could hop onto the 125 and then the 94 to take you straight to the airport. I'm sure that there will be traffic, but it is generally manageable (as far as I know). There is good road riding in that area and Mission Trails, Sycamore Canyon and Sweetwater are all within a relatively short drive.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Rich A. said:
This thread looks like a good place for me to post rather than starting a new thread... I don't think this is hijacking since it's closely related...

I'll be in SD for a conference at the Convention Center sometime around Feb.4-7 and may have 1/2 day or more of free time (I'm hoping)... is there a good convenient shop where I could rent a XC/trail bike and ride one of those "quick fix" trails (Rose Canyon or Florida Canyon) within a short window of time, say 3-5 hours from the Convention Center? I figured that maybe a 5-15 mile ride in the hills would be awesome.

It's probably wishful thinking that I can work this out, but I'm thinking wishfully :)
The only time I've ever rented a bike was before I ever bought one, from http://www.bike-tours.com in the downtown area. They used to rent FS and HT bikes. Check out their site for info/contact and possibly a map to see how far away you'll be. I'm not familiar with riding in that area at all, though.

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
titusdc said:
Hey Dudes,
(snip) I will be working at the San Diego airport and don't won't a huge commute. Thanks for any advice. Adios, Dave:confused:
Well, there are a bunch of areas you can live that are close(er) to trails. Won't comment on them as I haven't lived there but most don't seem close to the airport to me.

But if bicycle commuting is something you're interested in...

I've lived in Ocean Beach for 16 years now and part of the reason I've stayed is the Point Loma Peninsula ride and various local road loops with a an awesome view for most of the ride. We're not talking all day affairs here, but great bang-it-out training rides and what not. I can ride for 1.5 hours and only go through one traffic light (that you usually don't have to stop for). The area referred to in another post (by the river mouth) is still the "less nice" area but no longer referred to as the "Warzone" (which was a HUGE exaggeration in its day anyway). You didn't say much about yourself but OB is a beach town but more laid back/mellow/local than most - still bars and clubs but not the mass insanity of many beach areas in socal. From OB, the airport is about a 15 - 30 minute bike ride with one or two brief climbs (15 or so in roadie mode, 30 on a beach cruiser).

Point Loma is inland directly from OB making the airport even closer with no climbs depending on where you actually are. Still a bike ride to the beach.

Pacific/Mission Beach - not that much further north but your trip to the airport is considerably more complicated - by bike or car. That's more your "wild" beach scene complete with frat boyz, gangstas, and stupid traffic and crowds every weekend.

If you're more an urban type, the area inland from the airport known as Little Italy, Mission Hills, and Old Town are also very close to the airport with the airport being largely downhill or at least flat from there. Cool hang outs around there too. You could probably walk to work from Little Italy.

Sorry about the rent (not my fault!) but hope ya like it here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everybody, Thanks.

Hey all who responded, Thanks a lot for the info. I thought I would fill anybody in with more info about myself incase they wanted to give me more info?
I'm a 44 year old, single male and I am not that much into the party scene or clubbing much anymore. Occassionally I like to go out for some night life. It's not real important for me to live near any places with bars and clubs. It would be cool to live near some cool cafes and restauarants that I could walk or ride to. I thought it would be cool to be near the beach but it is not a big deal for me. I kind of like living in the outskirts of the cities I've lived in. I currently live in a 2 bed 2 bath condo with a one car garage here in Vancouver, Wa. which works out pretty good for me. It would be cool to find similar in San Diego but not sure if this could be done for the most I could afford ($250,000).
I haven't totally decided if I'm going to take the transfer or not. As I get older up here in the north I get less tollerent of the cold, gray and wet climate up here. If anybody else has made the move and could give me some feedback that would be sweet.
Thanks a lot, Dave:thumbsup:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,800 Posts
titusdc said:
Hey all who responded, Thanks a lot for the info. I thought I would fill anybody in with more info about myself incase they wanted to give me more info?
I'm a 44 year old, single male and I am not that much into the party scene or clubbing much anymore. Occassionally I like to go out for some night life. It's not real important for me to live near any places with bars and clubs. It would be cool to live near some cool cafes and restauarants that I could walk or ride to. I thought it would be cool to be near the beach but it is not a big deal for me. I kind of like living in the outskirts of the cities I've lived in. I currently live in a 2 bed 2 bath condo with a one car garage here in Vancouver, Wa. which works out pretty good for me. It would be cool to find similar in San Diego but not sure if this could be done for the most I could afford ($250,000).
I haven't totally decided if I'm going to take the transfer or not. As I get older up here in the north I get less tollerent of the cold, gray and wet climate up here. If anybody else has made the move and could give me some feedback that would be sweet.
Thanks a lot, Dave:thumbsup:
Wow good luck finding anything for $250,000 in San Diego. Anything that is any where close to what you are used to.

·
Registered
490 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Wow good luck finding anything for $250,000 in San Diego. Anything that is any where close to what you are used to.
$250,000, I think you can scratch Fairbanks Ranch of your list, in San Diego for $250,000 you can get a 750 Sq.Ft, two bedroom, one Car garage Condo in the following areas North Park 92104, Normal Heights 92116, College 92115, Santee 92071, Rancho Penaquitos 92129, Clairemont Mesa 92117, there are other areas in SD but you will need to buy a gun.:skep:

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
TCB said:
$250,000, I think you can scratch Fairbanks Ranch of your list, in San Diego for $250,000 you can get a 750 Sq.Ft, two bedroom, one Car garage Condo in the following areas North Park 92104, Normal Heights 92116, College 92115, Santee 92071, Rancho Penaquitos 92129, Clairemont Mesa 92117, there are other areas in SD but you will need to buy a gun.:skep:
Actually, I think I would buy a gun for just about all those places you mentioned. But, then again, I like guns. I looked into moving to North Park once, then I checked the sex offender website. I've never seen so many little colored dots clustered in such a small space. No thanks! I'm surprised there is much available anywhere in SD for that price.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,800 Posts
Pinch said:
Actually, I think I would buy a gun for just about all those places you mentioned. But, then again, I like guns. I looked into moving to North Park once, then I checked the sex offender website. I've never seen so many little colored dots clustered in such a small space. No thanks! I'm surprised there is much available anywhere in SD for that price.
Actually I think all those places that he named, a gun is included in the purchase price.:thumbsup: So in that respect it's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
those areas arent that bad. you want to avoid city heights, logan heights, parts of imperial beach, golden hills...

250 wont buy much, but they are advertising. maybe not with a garage tho. 1 bedrooms are going for less. condo prices have dropped a bit, but maybe not bottomed out yet. rents are still reasonably affordable (compared to buying), you may just save the money (and hoa fees). besides, that gives you time to check out the different areas before making a mistake.

there's only a few ways of getting into and out of town. traffic at rush hours can be a major *****, especially in the winter when it's dark during rush. people just have no idea how to drive in the dark, let alone the rain.

normal heights, university heights, north park, south park, hillcrest, mission hills are centrally located, diverse communities that are not suburban sprawls, not strip mall "developments". can get noisy at night with the ghetto birds flying around (police choppers) and it seems some one dies or is dying every night, what with the emergency vehicle traffic. and the "women" walking down el cajon in 30 degree weather wearing only a mini skirt are not on their way to grandma's.

i'd say look in normal heights first. there are some really nice areas, ok rents, some small condos/condo conversions (though you may want to stay away from those), close to some decent/great bars/cafes/eats, fairly easy commute (or bike ride) to downtown/airport.

for trails, i really like rancho penasquitos. pretty much the same distance to rose/aliso canyon, but more varied terrain. gets somewhat crowded on the weekends tho. 45 mins north of town are daley ranch and elfin forest. fun riding there. an hour+ east is noble canyon, where all the cool kids go. florida canyon is right in the middle of town next to balboa park/museum. close, good for a ride when you dont want to drive, but short and kinda boring.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
titusdc said:
Anybody made the move to SoCal from the Northwest? What's your take on it? Dave
I've lived in So Cal my entire life. If it wasn't for family and the lack of snow, I'd move. :)

That being said, with the population influx in the last 20 years obviously millions of people move here and love it. Can't beat the weather and having the beach and mountains so close.

If you like having four seasons or don't like traffic/overpopulation I'd say maybe reconsider.

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
Rich A. said:

Rent a bike? Hmmm. I dunno. However, the trails - here's is the deal: Florida canyon is riding distance and approx 5-10 min drive from the convention center. Florida canyon is small, however, it does give you the quick fix (30 min to ride it all). Next up would be San Clemente canyon. It is more rideable as far as length, but, it is about 15-20 min drive from the Convention Center. Both spots used to be my after work spins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.