Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off my bike for almost 7 months now and the urge to ride is killing me, the problem is I don't know where to ride. I moved to Oakland from Reno in March so I don't know the area at all.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions on decent trails. Thanks in advance :)
 

·
Mtb Bum
Joined
·
144 Posts
Welcome to Oakland

space said:
I've been off my bike for almost 7 months now and the urge to ride is killing me, the problem is I don't know where to ride. I moved to Oakland from Reno in March so I don't know the area at all.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions on decent trails. Thanks in advance :)
Welcome to the East Bay!

I'm not sure what type of trails you are looking for, or what level rider you are, but there is riding in the East Bay. If you have time in the evenings, you can join some of our group rides...hook up with some locals...learn the area: http://www.btceb.org/grouprides.php

If you are adventurous enough to head out on your own, Joaquin Miller park has some fine singletrack not too far from your new home in Oakland.

If you want, shoot me an email, I'll send you some more ideas.

Ride on!

Erik
President
BTCEB
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
around Oakland: Joaquim Miller, best and only legal single track in the east bay
Redwood Park: nice work out fireroads that you can link with JMP for a nice loop
South of Redwood Park: Lake Chabot, all fire roads with a few illegal single tracks thrown in if you're willing to risk the fine.

Further out: in Marin, China Camp, great single tracks, 30 mn across the bay from Oakland.

Rockville: 45 mn from Oakland in Fairfield, nice technical single track.

There's more, but that's a good start.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Right on...

space said:
I've been off my bike for almost 7 months now and the urge to ride is killing me, the problem is I don't know where to ride. I moved to Oakland from Reno in March so I don't know the area at all.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions on decent trails. Thanks in advance :)
Lots of us in the area. I am in Oakland, and JRM is nearby. Dan'ger, STMike, Plim, Biggz, are also over the hill in Coco county. There is usually something going on every weekend. This weekend is the 24 Hours of Adrenalin.

We're doing a Tuesday night Briones night ride if you are interested. Keep an eye on this board, and come along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
other east bay rides..

welcome to the east bay!!

in addition to those mentioned above, here are a few more places to ride on our side of the bay bridge....

1. briones-large regional park in lafayette/martinez. all fire roads, but lots of climbing and some great views. good for workouts.
2. mt diablo--in addtion to road riding there are trails all over the place. goes without saying, these rides always involve big climbs but there are some great singletrack and fireroad trails that you get to.
3. shell ridge/borges ranch/diablo foothills--these parks sit lower down west of diablo and offer mostly fireroads but very varied terrain and great views in a very secluded setting.

stay tuned to this forum--very active group in the east bay (as well as elsewhere in the area)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,679 Posts
Theres also

space said:
I've been off my bike for almost 7 months now and the urge to ride is killing me, the problem is I don't know where to ride. I moved to Oakland from Reno in March so I don't know the area at all.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions on decent trails. Thanks in advance :)
wildcat canyon and tilden....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
zorg said:
around Oakland: Joaquim Miller, best and only legal single track in the east bay
That's wild.

I go to Utah and Colorado for a week and when I return Mount Diablo has been removed from the East Bay.

What a crazy mixed up world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunatly I don't have time to ride in the evenings after work. I moved out here for a job and well I'm working a whole lot, most days I don't get outta the office until 8pm. Which is really hurting my riding as I used to get at least 6 or 7 miles on singletrack every night of the week. I had a nice system of trails quite literally 100 yards from my driveway in Reno.

As for the suggestions, thank you. Now if the rain would just let up for a few days in a row I could find some time to ride.
 

·
Feeling a little taller
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
space said:
Unfortunatly I don't have time to ride in the evenings after work. I moved out here for a job and well I'm working a whole lot, most days I don't get outta the office until 8pm. Which is really hurting my riding as I used to get at least 6 or 7 miles on singletrack every night of the week. I had a nice system of trails quite literally 100 yards from my driveway in Reno.

As for the suggestions, thank you. Now if the rain would just let up for a few days in a row I could find some time to ride.
FYI - The East Bay Regional Park District parks are open from 5am to 10pm every day.

Due to the usually rainy winters here, some of us have gotten into the habit of riding in the rain and dark through "winter," AKA the green season. It is also acceptable to night ride during "summer," AKA the brown season to avoid the daytime heat. It's a different kind of riding, but it beats riding rollers or a trainer for months on end.

We'll be night riding at Briones on Tuesday. We start riding at the Alhambra Creek staging area at 6:30pm. http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/briones_map.pdf
If you don't have lights and can join us, we can point you back to the parking lot when it starts getting dark.
 

·
No Justice = No Peace
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
PPSSSSssssssttt... Hey Kid....

Sometimes people ride at night too. Most of the fire road riding is open enough you can enjoy it with minimum lighting. I've been in the Oakland area for 15 years and never seen any kind of patrol at night on any trail in the East Bay Parks....

I hope the people who do this illegal thing are still considerate of the trails and the neighbors as they would be if needless curfews were not in place......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,485 Posts
Pete said:
That's wild.

I go to Utah and Colorado for a week and when I return Mount Diablo has been removed from the East Bay.

What a crazy mixed up world.
Pete, your confusion is justified.

People in Oakland and Berkeley consider the East Bay anywhere between the bay and the Caldecott tunnel.

Therefore, Mt. Diablo is in the central valley.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
Lutarious said:
Sometimes people ride at night too. Most of the fire road riding is open enough you can enjoy it with minimum lighting. I've been in the Oakland area for 15 years and never seen any kind of patrol at night on any trail in the East Bay Parks....

I hope the people who do this illegal thing are still considerate of the trails and the neighbors as they would be if needless curfews were not in place......
Last summer in lake Chabot, I've seen plenty of hiker patrols at sunset. Obviously, there are quite a few trail nazis with enough time on their hands to volunteer enforcing trail restrictions.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Thankfully others recognize this fallacy as well...
Thanks to Pete for contributing positively to this thread. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
zorg said:
Thanks to Pete for contributing positively to this thread.
You're welcome.

Should I further corrrect the misinformation that you posted?

Should I mention Sinbad Canyon perhaps?

Should I mention Del Valle?

Should I mention Dimond Canyon?

Just let me know.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
Pete said:
You're welcome.

Should I further corrrect the misinformation that you posted?

Should I mention Sinbad Canyon perhaps?

Should I mention Del Valle?

Should I mention Dimond Canyon?

Just let me know.
How could I misinform anybody when I never pretended to make an exhaustive list of places to ride in th first place? "There's more, but that's a good start." was an invitation for others to contribute. I'll defer to a more experienced and knowledgeable rider such as yourself to complete the list.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
Pete said:
By posting this:

"only legal single track in the east bay"

HTH
lol. Oh well...the truth is out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
back on topic....

forgot to mention black diamond mines up north of mt. diablo (see, second reference)...another one of the ebrpd parks...
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top