Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin has recently asked if he could go biking with me. I live in Moses Lake, so I normally just ride around Beezley Hill in Ephrata, but I don't think my cousin would like it very much. And, he hasn't fully recovered from a broken leg and I don't want to take him anywhere where crashing might be too much of a possibility. While Beezley hill isn't that technical, I do think that it is a bit much for him untill another couple of months and his leg has finished healing up.

So I got to thinking about the next closest place to ride, Wenatchee. I have never been to any trails there, and was wondering if someone could recommend a couple of easy ones in the area as well as directions on how to get to the trail head. I don't really want to go fuch further than Levenworth, but if the ride is worth it, I would be willing to drive the extra few miles to get there.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Not tooting my horn here but i'm above average in technical ability and when i rode down Devils Gulch less than 3 months removed from surgery from my broken leg.... Well i was scared shitless that i was gonna crash haha. i was spinning and climbing up the forest road pain free, but i couldn't put my weight on the leg too much. So i was forced to sit on my ass and just plod along, and that's not the way to descend a trail even if its deemed "easy" like Devil Gulch. Because it's not really easy, and i learned that when i was hoping that i wouldn't crash on my somewhat healed leg.:D

Anyways if he can stand and put weight on it, go ahead and do Devil Gulch. There are some paved trails down by the river in Wenatchee, or if you don't want to try the trails, there are plenty of forest roads to lakes and such on the South Side off of Beehive....

·
Registered
605 Posts
mosquitoman said:
So I got to thinking about the next closest place to ride, Wenatchee.
Sage Hills Trails right outside of Wenatchee would be the best bet if your cousin is still recovering from an injury. I haven't ridden there but plan to some day. Devil's Gulch, while probably more "fun", might be too much to handle right off the bat. That would be my recommendation at least.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something else that I should have clarified: Although he has ridden BMX for years, this will be his first time mountain biking. Because of that, I don't really expect him to have much skill, but he will have tons of bravado and will be willing to try stuff that I dont think he will be ready for. All the pictures I have seen of Devil's Gulch sure look like they would be fun, I don't think it would be a good idea for his first ride. Maybe once he has the rods removed from his leg and he has a couple of rides under his belt I will take him there. Basically, I would just like to find some smooth singletrack with nothing more difficult than switch backs and 1' drops.

On that note, I am not really familar with Wenatchee. I know how to get to the airport and Cosco, and not really anywhere else. I don't really want to ride on paved trails (we can do that here in Moses), but would like something easy and off-road. How do I find/get to Beehive and the Sage Hills Trails? They both sound like something I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Actually if you ride BMX generally your skills will progress more rapidly than a typical mt. biker.

Devils Gulch is what you're looking for then. If you're riding healed Devils Gulch is smooth as a baby's bottom. But when you're ***** footin with a tender foot like i was you notice all the little bumps alot more than normal. i gotta say when i descended it i was fine, but i'm pretty sure i was jumpin the gun a little...

i mean it's not written anywhere you gotta be completely sane when riding mt. bikes.

Get some maps of the area, Green Trails has a good map of the Devils Gulch area. You'll find Beehive road and everything else on that map.

Sage Hills is directly above town on the northwest side. i doubt there's maps available of that place, but it's pretty fun.

But yah you want to keep it fun so i'd see how healed your buddies leg is before deciding how crazy you wanna get. And i never got my rod and pins pulled out, it's funner to set of the metal detectors.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.