Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving down from Oregon for work this week and will have time to ride on Friday and possibly Saturday. Where is the good riding this time of year?

I am an experienced rider and am bringing my SC Nickel. I am totally fine doing 18 to 20 miles and 3000 feet of climbing.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Tons of trails around here! What sort of riding are you looking for?

If you're around the downtown/UNR area, there's Peavine Mountain. The easiest trailheads are at the softball fields on N Virginia or at Rancho San Rafael Park, off Sierra St.

If you're near south Reno, Galena may be closer for you. I'm not familiar with that area, so maybe someone else can chime in for that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Check the Great Basin Bicycles webpage for trails. There is plenty of good riding around but if we get any weather this week you might be out of luck. The issue is any moisture on Peavine turns the soil into peanut butter and you can't move in it. The Galena area doesn't suffer from the mud but gets more snow, which can shut down the trails.

The skiing this morning was great and they're calling for another couple feet tonight and tomorrow, if you're interested.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
^Peavine hasn't really been receiving much moisture from these past few systems. I live right next to the UNR campus, so I see Peavine every day. Yesterday (Sunday) it had a nice dusting of snow down to ~6000 feet in the morning, but that was all gone by mid-day. It was dry all day today too. There might be some sticky spots, but I wouldn't expect it to be unrideable. After tonight's front passes through, it looks like it'll be dry for the rest of the week. Should be prime riding by the time the weekend rolls around!

·
washed-up moto guy
237 Posts
Hey Oregon!

I've posted a pretty in depth trail report on here before, but I'd recommend riding Galena. I'll be riding there this evening and will let you know how the trail conditions are.

Below is a link to my favorite ride there and it fits your parameters well. Best trails in the area IMO :)

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | - Galena near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

I'll be doing that ride Saturday afternoon after the roadie drop ride and would love to show you around!

·
washed-up moto guy
237 Posts
You can do smaller loops within the area. I would recommend riding it as an out and back though. The trails are multi-way and each direction has it's strong points.

This part of Galena isn't ideal for shuttling, however some people do shuttles around Hippy Shack and Brown's Creek (link: Strava Segment | Get Real Super-D )

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can do smaller loops within the area. I would recommend riding it as an out and back though. The trails are multi-way and each direction has it's strong points.

This part of Galena isn't ideal for shuttling, however some people do shuttles around Hippy Shack and Brown's Creek (link: Strava Segment | Get Real Super-D )
That out and back sounds like a good ride that would limit my chances of getting lost. I don't shuttle. I earn my turns . . .

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Still roaming the halls huh Jon. Havent seen you around these parts in a long time, thought you had got full native to the roadie side.. LOL.

Agree with Jon, Peavine is a great ride but you can easily get lost up there if you don't know generally where you are going. Dry Pond is lots of fun, while I havent done his posted ride I like the area a lot and hit it when I can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.