Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have that done? I have some ugly lowers and thought if it wasn't too expensive that it could be fun. The coolest would be to have the lowers galvanized like RS does on the Totem but I can't imagine that would be cost effective.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
Hmm, two wrongs out of two.....not bad ;)

Naah, just kidding, but you are however incorrect according to my point of view.

To have them polished, all you'd have to do is to strip the paint, and get a rugged piece of clothe and some polishing paste (around here we have stuff like "slipol", "brasso", and so forth).
This will take you less time than to take the forks to a workshop ad have them polished.

To have them galvanized is actually pretty cheap, I'd say a six-pack would get you most of the way, and shops that are able to do that for you, are plenty everywhere.

Magura :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have heard polished lowers are a PITA to maintain, however if you got them clearcoated right after the polish that might work out better.
DropNzone offers a free powder coat on some of the frames they sell, so maybe give them a call and see how much it would be for some lowers.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for pictures of polished forks and couldn't find any (I did one a while back).

Initially, I just stripped the paint so I could redo it. Ran it through a wire wheel and it started to look nice. Ran it again on a polishing wheel and finished off with Mother's and it looked really nice. My friends think I should strip the frame to match the fork, but I don't know. That's a lot of work. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
Did you disassemble before painting? Or just tape off?
Should you? Yes. Did I? No. I took everything off the fork that I could and carefully masked EVERYTHING that I didn't want paint on. The hardest part was masking off the top of the fork where the seals are, but it is possible.

Actually with the fork still assembled you can clamp the steerer tube in your bike stand and move it around to get to all the hard to reach places on the fork.

I applied 2 coats of primer, and about 3 coats of black.Should be plenty tough.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Gotta go with post #2 and say "somebodies been dippin' too much"
First off galvanizing involves dipping the part in molten Zinc....anyone think thats a really bad idea except me? well its a great idea if you want to use your lowers to hold flowers. Maybe there are some new processes I'm unaware of but considering the quality of finish I've seen on galvanized stuff, I'd NEVER consider it unless the only alternative was latex house paint applied with a stick.

Secondly, where do you see RS makes Totem's in any color other than white and black?
This would be one of those deals where I say, no pic, it doesnt exist.

Anyone have that done? I have some ugly lowers and thought if it wasn't too expensive that it could be fun. The coolest would be to have the lowers galvanized like RS does on the Totem but I can't imagine that would be cost effective.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
polished fork lowers are a real PITA to keep looking fresh. like a serious PITA. i know, i have a set and i gave up on them a long time ago. they are dope looking when fresh, but the freshness fades fast...
I must say that looks amazing. It takes some serious dedication to polish just about every part of your bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Yes it does, pos rep coming your way. Thanks for correcting my ignorance, now I have to figure out if its a 'traditional' galvanize" or some electro-deposited version.
Is that current model or older stuff? not that it affects the facts
and I guess from your post it looks pretty dope in real life?
Not sure, I have a black one. Pricepoint has it in the air, not sure if the others are available in silver.
RockShox Totem Solo Fork 2010 at Price Point

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can't galvanize aluminum....and there's no point in doing it if you could, alum. Doesn't rust. I'm not positive but those lowers have some sort of applied aluminum coating or they've been shot/grit blasted then burnished.

·
Registered
678 Posts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Hot-dip galvanizing is a form of galvanization. It is the process of coating iron, steel, or aluminum with a thin zinc layer, by passing the metal through a molten bath of zinc" "Other modern techniques have largely replaced hot-dip for these sorts of roles. This includes electrogalvanizing, which deposits the layer of zinc from an aqueous electrolyte by electroplating, forming a thinner and much stronger bond."

The Totems shown in the link above are obviously galvanized, the only question is by what method. As to why, again, obvious...someone at RS thinks its solid dope ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you read it on the net it must be true.....Those lowers are not galvanized it's too uniform.i deal with galvanized parts on a weekly basis. In case you don't understand what is does it stops corrosion it's not an astetitically pleasing coating. Aluminum gets anodized for protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.