Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on heading out to Treasure Island tomorrow early and would like to be legal. Is there any place I could get a permit in the Chandler area? The reason I ask is that there is no way I can get out of work in time to go to the gov't office on Central Ave. to get a permit there before they close. Thanks

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
nope

JonnyA said:
I'm planning on heading out to Treasure Island tomorrow early and would like to be legal. Is there any place I could get a permit in the Chandler area? The reason I ask is that there is no way I can get out of work in time to go to the gov't office on Central Ave. to get a permit there before they close. Thanks
Permits can be obtained through the mail by calling 602.364.ASLD (2753), or by visiting the Land Department office in Phoenix, Tucson or Flagstaff, or by visiting the Arizona Public Lands Information Center in Phoenix

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
JonnyA said:
I could be wrong, but I thought I read or heard someplace that various bike shops sell them. For instance, I think somebody told me that Bicycle Ranch (or whatever its' called, up there on Frank Lloyd Wright) sold them. Maybe give them a ring, and see if 1) that is true, and 2) see if they know of a closer bike shop that does.

BTW, is Treasure Island the same thing as Fantasy Island?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
You're outta luck, homie. You have to either apply in person or do it through the mail. You can email them at [email protected] to get the app in the mail but there's no way to do it online, unfortunately. So it's either the mail, or go in person.

I've never heard of bike shops offering state land rec permits. That'd be awesome if they did, though.

p.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I remember Paul telling us that he never ran into 'the man' at P&D. Well, when led the ride out there... the man was there...

He was out on the street warning us before we entered.... he also informed us that parking on the side of Pima was not a good idea w/o a permit, as we could get towed. At first, I thought it was an overzealous homeowner with nothing better to do.

As it turned out, he was a state employee... they were out there educating people and selling permits. From what I gathered, the get out there a couple times a year and set up a booth.

There also was a guy from AZ Trailriders (dirt bike club) out there doing the same. They seemed more concerned about the dirt bikers tearing up the place and acting irresponsibly. It was kind of nice to see... as I'm not a big fan of P&D due to the dirt bikers out there.

Anyhow, the moral of the story, get a permit. I think the Spokesman sells them as a courtesy... I've never been in there, but that the story I've heard.

Paul B said:
You're outta luck, homie. You have to either apply in person or do it through the mail. You can email them at [email protected] to get the app in the mail but there's no way to do it online, unfortunately. So it's either the mail, or go in person.

I've never heard of bike shops offering state land rec permits. That'd be awesome if they did, though.

p.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
No Spokesman

funboarder1971 said:
I think the Spokesman sells them as a courtesy... I've never been in there, but that the story I've heard.
FYI...

Negs on the Spokesman. I was there a few months ago and they don't sell them. They said to go to the ranger's station in the forest north of the shop.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Treasure v. Fantasy Islands?

skinny-tire said:
BTW, is Treasure Island the same thing as Fantasy Island?
No... they're not the same... Fantasy Island is in Tucson, and is presently under a very high risk of being auctioned off by our beloved Arizona State Land Department. EVERYONE can help stop this by doing two things: #1 - visit www.savefantasyisland.org , and #2, follow the link to send an e-mail to Mr. Winkelman (the State Land COmmissioner - we affectionately refer to him as "wee willie winkie") to negotiate with the City of Tucson to find ways to have this land saved for the existing trail use (it is the *only* beginner-friendly trail in the Tucson area). While you're at it, you can send the same message to the Governor... she appointed him.

Hank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.