Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Freezer
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is anybody else a bit perplexed by the glacially slow release schedule by Pivot? The Switchblade and Mach 6 are completely outdated but Pivot releases a new XC bike and the LES, which probably account for like 5% of the buyers out there. Meanwhile, there are new mainstream offerings like a completely new Yeti line, Ripmo, Ripley G4, Offering, etc. What the heck is going on at Pivot these days?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it just me, or is anybody else a bit perplexed by the glacially slow release schedule by Pivot? The Switchblade and Mach 6 are completely outdated but Pivot releases a new XC bike and the LES, which probably account for like 5% of the buyers out there. Meanwhile, there are new mainstream offerings like a completely new Yeti line, Ripmo, Ripley G4, Offering, etc. What the heck is going on at Pivot these days?
The Switchblade is a perfect example of Pivot missing the mark in a very popular market. A 67.25 head angle is just ridiculously steep for its type of bike. 66.5 or less would be much better suited for an all around, aggressive all mountain bike. They also boast about short chainstays on the SB, but 428mm is not particularly short - other brands commonly offer 430 and 435mm CS, and some offer 420mm or less. Compaired to the Ripmo I really can't find a department where the Switchblade has a unique and desirable feature.

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
Launching a new XC bike is a huge thing. It may not be your thing, but it is a global thing, people still like to climb, race, and ride general trails that don't require the level of travel that you aren't necessarily interested in. The Trail 429 was launched last year, and is doing well, even stacked up against the other trail bikes launched this year, it's GEO, spec, and placement in the marketplace is on point. Same with the Firebird 29, Launched last year, no need for an update this year.

Switchblade GEO is still on point even though it is approaching a 3 year mark, sales are still solid, and with the Trail and Firebird 29 that fit around this bike, no need for an update at this time.

Perception is reality, I get it. But, I think you are forgetting what we have already done this year.

You may not be interested in gravel road bikes, but launching the Vault is also a major focus of ours. It is an important segment of the cycling industry right now, this bike has a lot of new technologies, that take resources to implement.

I've worked at PIVOT for over 10 years, and one of the things I love about working here, is we launch bikes when they are ready. We strive not to rush something to market just because, Chris does what he thinks is best, always striving to improve every time we introduce something new.

Don't forget, lunch isn't the most important meal of the day... Breakfast is, and it's pretty tasty at the moment... ;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OP do you have any data to suggest Pivot's volumes suck? Your take is they suck but is this yet another unsupported internet rant? I do not disagree they seem to be working on things that may not be to your priorities but your comment indicates they are not selling bikes----please give us your data

·
Registered
795 Posts
Pivot is kicking some serious booty is what they’re doing. Fasting growing brand 10 years in a row. Gonna do $200 million in sales this year I here. That’s an amazing accomplishment for a brand that was just kicked off a decade and a few years ago. And doing it in a very competitive space.

Could they get better...sure, and I bet they will. Go Pivot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
Absolutely not, I'm tired of bike companies changing the design every 6 months for marginal gains...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mach 6 was new last year, so I don't understand that part of the statement. The Switchblade needs an update for sure, but they have been updating or introducing new bikes pretty regularly it seems.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
This is what's wrong with the industry, not pivot, but the industry that makes people excited over marginal improvements and the expectation that the bikes will be updated every year. It's part of the way bikes are "pushed" to consumers, so they feel what they are riding on is "no good", limiting the support and parts for such bikes as well, pushing them to "upgrade".

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
They also boast about short chainstays on the SB, but 428mm is not particularly short - other brands commonly offer 430 and 435mm CS, and some offer 420mm or less.
Just wanted to say that short chainstays were so 2016. The next trend is actually going to be longer chainstays - or at the very least, adjustable length chainstays.

Once people tire of discussing fork offsets they'll move onto chainstay lengths. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'd probably be riding a Pivot if they had a dealer with me. I learned later that my LBS actually can get Pivots, even though they have zero Pivot inventory and aren't listed on Pivot's website as a dealer. Another LBS is listed as a dealer, and has zero Pivots in stock as well. If Pivot is selling $200 million worth of bikes, I'd like to know where, because it's certainly not here. That said, they are great riding bikes, and the Switchblade, dated or not, is among my favorite that they make. If it's your position that they're losing ground based on a single degree of head angle, maybe you should be looking at the new SC Tallboy; I heard that thing is slack for the sake of being slack.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I'd probably be riding a Pivot if they had a dealer with me. I learned later that my LBS actually can get Pivots, even though they have zero Pivot inventory and aren't listed on Pivot's website as a dealer. Another LBS is listed as a dealer, and has zero Pivots in stock as well. If Pivot is selling $200 million worth of bikes, I'd like to know where, because it's certainly not here. That said, they are great riding bikes, and the Switchblade, dated or not, is among my favorite that they make. If it's your position that they're losing ground based on a single degree of head angle, maybe you should be looking at the new SC Tallboy; I heard that thing is slack for the sake of being slack.
At an average price of $3200/bike, that would be 171 bikes/day. That seems plausible globally.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Agreed. I'd like to hear what's "completely outdated" about the current Mach 6.
The only thing I can think of that isn't completely up with modern trends is the super steep STA. And, I personally don't think those of an improvement, just a different approach. I loved my Mach6 before I traded out for a FB29.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
The only thing I can think of that isn't completely up with modern trends is the super steep STA.
It nothing more than a single number for people to fixate on. Just like super short chainstays. Sure it makes the bike easier to pop around...but it also makes the rear end of the bike skip around in really rough sections. I remember people used to clown on bikes with 440mm chainstays a few years back...now its growing back towards that number.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not really sure why this is just an unpopular opinion here, Pivot is missing out big time in the 130/140 rfear travel 29 market which seems to be one of the more popular. If only you could get a 29 rear wheel in the 5.5. Been thinking of building a 5.5 mixer and seeing how that rides.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not really sure why this is just an unpopular opinion here, Pivot is missing out big time in the 130/140 rfear travel 29 market which seems to be one of the more popular. If only you could get a 29 rear wheel in the 5.5. Been thinking of building a 5.5 mixer and seeing how that rides.
Apparently you haven't seen the Switchblade?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
Numbers? Remember pivot is a small company, much smaller than SC and others. I'm sure if that was the "ticket to being a billion dollar company" Pivot would have pursued this right away. Assuming there are some competent business people there, you just can't crank out a new version of a bike every year or even two, unless you have massive economy of scale.

Reactions: HEMIjer
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.