Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
About to build up a Trail 429 frame for my wife, and wondering about cranksets.
Do"super boost 157" compatible Sram cranksets have a wider q-factor, or longer spindle length than "boost 148" compatible Sram cranksets?

Or is the difference between the two a matter of spider/ring offset?

Wondering whether I can put a OneUp switch dm "super boost" spider and ring on my "boost 148" compatible Sram x01 eagle crankset to run on this Pivot Trail 429.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Boost cranks with 0° off set ring or..
Super boost cranks with 3° offset ring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Gang,

Looks like Pivot just released a new Trail 429. Seeing it as of today. My local dealer said a couple of bikes arrived today (Monday 2/22/21) and Pivot JUST updated their site.

Some major changes include:
-Vertical Shock layout
-Flip Chip to adjust geometry (BB height and angles).
-Seat Tube angle increased to 75.5 (in higher BB config) and HeadTube Angle down to 66.5
-Apparently 380g less (not seeing it on site but I was advised by my local dealer)
-Two colorways. Pacific Blue and Silver Metallic

Funny thing is I was expecting this to be their big announcement/unveiling they had set for February 16th...but that ended up being an e-bike, lol. And now they release/unveil the new T429 without any announcement. Not complaining, just funny to me :)

-=terry

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Gang,

Looks like Pivot just released a new Trail 429. Seeing it as of today. My local dealer said a couple of bikes arrived today (Monday 2/22/21) and Pivot JUST updated their site.

Some major changes include:
-Vertical Shock layout
-Flip Chip to adjust geometry (BB height and angles).
-Seat Tube angle increased to 75.5 (in higher BB config) and HeadTube Angle down to 66.5
-Apparently 380g less (not seeing it on site but I was advised by my local dealer)
-Two colorways. Pacific Blue and Silver Metallic

Funny thing is I was expecting this to be their big announcement/unveiling they had set for February 16th...but that ended up being an e-bike, lol. And now they release/unveil the new T429 without any announcement. Not complaining, just funny to me :)

-=terry
Looks nice. Don't mind the two colour options, either. And I agree - a bit odd re the lack of fanfare around the launch!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well was certainly expecting this around now since I literally confirmed my switchblade order yesterday......

IMHO, Nice updates, and as anticipated brings it in line with the mach sl and switchblade geo and shock orientation.
This could be a great bike for the majority of riders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well was certainly expecting this around now since I literally confirmed my switchblade order yesterday......

IMHO, Nice updates, and as anticipated brings it in line with the mach sl and switchblade geo and shock orientation.
This could be a great bike for the majority of riders.

This has left on stand by my purchase of the SB
Just saw the info and geo, and in the lowest setting its very close to the SB on overall numbers, just less travel, seems as a fun pedaling bike. lets wait for the reviews.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sizing has changed a bit. The previous iteration I fell smack on for a L frame. Now I fall almost inbetween size M and L. Darn it, lol.

Pivot rep (online chat) suggested I watch this video to help in sizing decision:

-=terry

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a really great looking bike - I built two of the blue and one silver in preparation for the launch and they look like 'mini-Switchblades'. Took a spin on the L ('cuz, you know, I need to check my work) and really like the way it felt compared to my Mk. 1 429T. Definitely more reach than the outgoing model, but less than the Switchblade.

The UDH is one of the best details on the bike, though I'm intrigued to see if it will break away as readily as the older hangar to save the derailleur. Feels very stiff and has a positive effect on shifting.

The base of the shock has very effective water/mud shedding clearance holes and the hidden tool kit mount under the bb is slick. Cable routing for both the rear brake and derailleur are above the bb now and it weighs in under 27 lbs (XTR Team with carbon wheel upgrade). Weight loss is noticeable compared to the previous models.

#

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Starting at 7k!!!!!!!! My new ebike was cheaper and it’s all xt parts.
BTW be on a lookout for mtbyumyum review on this bike, he had a teaser video and I’m sure this was the bike being built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Compared to the SB, the seatpost diameter is upsized to 31.6mm and the dropper options are longer. XL gets 200mm vs 175mm on the SB.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is it just me or are most of the short travel frames heavy? 6 pounds for a 120 mm rear suspension.
curious if there is a weight difference vs the Switchblade, or any other longer travel frames.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it just me or are most of the short travel frames heavy? 6 pounds for a 120 mm rear suspension.
curious if there is a weight difference vs the Switchblade, or any other longer travel frames.
Yup, burly short travel frames seem almost as heavy as longer bikes.
5.9 lbs for medium w/ dps (~0.5lbs) = ~ 5.4 lbs w/ no shock vs 5.7 lb SB (unspecified size, no shock). So guessing maybe 1/3 to 1/2 lbs max difference in the frames.
I’d almost certainly notice build differences, pedal kinematics or a 1/2 lb in tires more I think.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yup, burly short travel frames seem almost as heavy as longer bikes.
5.9 lbs for medium w/ dps (~0.5lbs) = ~ 5.4 lbs w/ no shock vs 5.7 lb SB (unspecified size, no shock). So guessing maybe 1/3 to 1/2 lbs max difference in the frames.
I’d almost certainly notice build differences, pedal kinematics or a 1/2 lb in tires more I think.

i noticed this with my current two bikes. One is a 120mm and the other is 140mm. Wheels and tire’s are similar weight and frames about 1 lb different. 140 bike is just as fast or faster on most trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only thing I can't figure out is sizing. Tough one for me. I'm 5'9", center of BB to top of saddle is usually ~77.5cm. The previous gen size L fit like a glove. Now I feel i'm directly inbetween the new iteration's M & L. Either go L and a short 35mm stem or the M with standard stem. My only concern is drop. I don't want to be fighting that. Fortunately tomorrow I go to the LBS where they have both sizes already. If they don't have them built I'm going to bring beer so they turn around and I'll go back there myself and tack them together :)

-=terry

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just saw the info and geo, and in the lowest setting its very close to the SB on overall numbers, just less travel, seems as a fun pedaling bike. lets wait for the reviews.
If you go with the enduro build option for the new Trail 429 the head angle goes as low as 65.5 degrees. That's slacker than a stock Switchblade. I don't think anyone would have guessed that was coming.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How much should carbon frames in this travel range/category weigh?
Less than: a electric bike, downhill bike, less than a enduro bike?
More than a World Cup cross country race bike, that is replaced by the factory every race, and supported by a factory mechanic and all his support?
Should a 120mm bike be the first choice of a bike for the REDBULL RAMPAGE?
How much do you think a bike should weigh?

1121 - 1140 of 1142 Posts