Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Point to any single model release that happened less than 3 years after the previous launch. I'll wait.
Well I believe the Mach 429 Trail was introduced June 2015 and the current trail 429 introduced in May 2018. So lets try and connect the dots ..... by the spring that’ll be 3 yrs and exactly when I suggested a new version may arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Which size volume reducer are T429 riders running in their Fox DPS? Mine came with the largest size 1.0(red). I’ve switched to the .8 and now the .6 and it’s much better. I weigh 180-185 without gear. Even so, I’m still thinking about switching shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which size volume reducer are T429 riders running in their Fox DPS? Mine came with the largest size 1.0(red). I’ve switched to the .8 and now the .6 and it’s much better. I weigh 180-185 without gear. Even so, I’m still thinking about switching shocks.

What shock are you thinking of switching to?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m a pig too My Switchblade is the heaviest bike I’ve ever had. But I’ll gladly take it and the T429. I’m sick of flexy, fragile frames.
I agree, the Switchblade is definitely not flexy... it’s super solid. I just have a harder time getting it off the ground compared to some other bikes I’ve spent time on.

·
Paterfamilias
712 Posts
I agree, the Switchblade is definitely not flexy... it’s super solid. I just have a harder time getting it off the ground compared to some other bikes I’ve spent time on.
How did you set up the suspension?

Everyone knows I have a bias here... I work for PIVOT... But from all of the bikes I've ever ridden, this version of the Switchblade is the most Poppy bike I've ever been on.

I found myself popping off anything I thought could give me a little bit of air. The bike is so playful and movable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also enquired with the uk distributor over timelines on an update and didn’t seem to think it would be any time soon, seems and error to me, i had a the original 429c frame for 4years and the build quality was great, they are heavy but lasted well, but the geometry is looking a little outdated now, slack seattube angle isn’t ideal for long legged riders as end up miles behind the bb, hope next spring but not holding out too much hope!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Shop near me got a phone call a few days before arrival of the Trail 429. They weren’t told the model or specs only color. That’s pretty common for Pivot.

My T429 is solid, well built, confidence inspiring you might say. Would only update with shock location change and longer TT like the SB.

Steeper seat tubes aren’t all they are cracked up to be. I’m 6’1” and like the ST angle a lot. It allows for engagement of thigh muscles, the back of the leg. A good circular motion is a very valid approach to rock gardens. Also, large quads without thigh muscles is bad for posture/back.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also am torn between waiting for the 429 update or buying something else. Maybe even the Switchblade. The Giant Trance X is intriguing for my MIDATLANTIC rocky, tight switchbacks, tight singletrack, and all the other types of trails. They do not offer it in SRAM X01 though, that and quality suspension and wheels is a lot of my equation. NO too low BB and no long boards. The wheels on the Giant are crap, as seemingly a lot of bikes are coming with low quality wheels even if they are carbon rims. The engagement sucks and the ones I looked at where not upgradable!
At least if they start with a DT Swiss 240 it can be upgraded to 54 or I think 108 today.
I have 12sp XT now and hate it!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I also am torn between waiting for the 429 update or buying something else. Maybe even the Switchblade. The Giant Trance X is intriguing for my MIDATLANTIC rocky, tight switchbacks, tight singletrack, and all the other types of trails. They do not offer it in SRAM X01 though, that and quality suspension and wheels is a lot of my equation. NO too low BB and no long boards. The wheels on the Giant are crap, as seemingly a lot of bikes are coming with low quality wheels even if they are carbon rims. The engagement sucks and the ones I looked at where not upgradable!
At least if they start with a DT Swiss 240 it can be upgraded to 54 or I think 108 today.
I have 12sp XT now and hate it!
Buy a frame and build it yourself, I'll take that crappy XT stuff off your hands for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems like the builds with AXS are coming through fairly quickly - I built several last week. Shimano still experiencing delays in their supply chain and looking like November so far.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
About to build up a Trail 429 frame for my wife, and wondering about cranksets.
Do"super boost 157" compatible Sram cranksets have a wider q-factor, or longer spindle length than "boost 148" compatible Sram cranksets?

Or is the difference between the two a matter of spider/ring offset?

Wondering whether I can put a OneUp switch dm "super boost" spider and ring on my "boost 148" compatible Sram x01 eagle crankset to run on this Pivot Trail 429.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
About to build up a Trail 429 frame for my wife, and wondering about cranksets.
Do"super boost 157" compatible Sram cranksets have a wider q-factor, or longer spindle length than "boost 148" compatible Sram cranksets?

Or is the difference between the two a matter of spider/ring offset?

Wondering whether I can put a OneUp switch dm "super boost" spider and ring on my "boost 148" compatible Sram x01 eagle crankset to run on this Pivot Trail 429.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
This is what I was told, by Pivot:
For cranks, you need a crank that has a 55.5-56.5mm chainline and has a minimum q-factor of 168mm. Most standard boost cranks can be made to work if you swap the stock 3mm offset chainring out for a 0mm offset chainring(OneUp Switch Carrier in the Super Boost offset is my recommendation for a chainring). This means standard boost cranks like Sram cranks, Raceface Aeffect and Next cranks, Cane Creek eeWings cranks, and Shimano. Shimano is the main company who offers a super boost specific option aftermarket, and their M7130, M81230, and M9130 optoins are all compatible right out of the box.
What bike are you referring to? Obviously it's super boost, but you never said which bike.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This is what I was told:
For cranks, you need a crank that has a 55.5-56.5mm chainline and has a minimum q-factor of 168mm. Most standard boost cranks can be made to work if you swap the stock 3mm offset chainring out for a 0mm offset chainring(OneUp Switch Carrier in the Super Boost offset is my recommendation for a chainring). This means standard boost cranks like Sram cranks, Raceface Aeffect and Next cranks, Cane Creek eeWings cranks, and Shimano. Shimano is the main company who offers a super boost specific option aftermarket, and their M7130, M81230, and M9130 optoins are all compatible right out of the box.
What bike are you referring to? Obviously it's super boost, but you never said which bike.
Thank you!! This is to build a Pivot Trail 429.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is pretty long! I'd venture to say too long. Check the site, there are action photos of the Trail, you can see how short the housing is.

It only needs to be long enough to clear the BB when the bike is fully compressed into it's travel.
I dunno, I am working on my friend’s brand new Trail 429 and after strapping the wheel to the frame and leaving a teeny tiny bit extra to make sure the shock bottom out bumper is taking the full load and not the cable - when the frame’s cable clamps are tightened and the shock is fully extended, that’s about how much slack I’ve got as well.

I’m also not a fan of this design due to all the blowdown branches and stuff we can get on backcountry trails here. Lots of snag potential with this design - I’m not sure why they didn’t go with something more symmetric to how the brake hose is routed ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Considering a 429 but nervous about a spring refresh as well.
If I do go with the 429 I am considering a wheel upgrade. I was given the option of the new Dr Swiss XMC with 250 hubs. Has anyone else done this upgrade? Thoughts on these wheels.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Considering a 429 but nervous about a spring refresh as well.
If I do go with the 429 I am considering a wheel upgrade. I was given the option of the new Dr Swiss XMC with 250 hubs. Has anyone else done this upgrade? Thoughts on these wheels.

I have the DT Swiss 240 in my Trek Kovee XXX wheels with the 54 engagement points. I like it and have had no problems. Easy to work on!
I assume you meant to say 240?
Happy Thanksgiving and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thought I would share some info from a local Pivot dealer (one of the larger ones in the northeast). I noticed some 429’s on the showroom floor with new 2021 fox forks and droppers and wondered if Pivot was still shipping new versions of the current model. Like others, I thought a new updated model was likely early next year. I asked the manager if I could I get a pro XT/XTR enduro build and was shocked to learn (after they checkEd with Pivot) that I could order one with an ETA of 60-90 days. However, they couldn’t say if I would get the current model or updated model! My response was I would ONLY be interested in the new model. Manager admitted a new model was imminent. Maybe that’s old news here, but I believe a new model is dropping soon and the enduro build option appears to be continued in the new model.

·
Registered
370 Posts
From what I understand, Pivot will not say when a new model is coming. My shop has a really good relationship with Pivot and they claim that they find out new models when we do. Unless that is incorrect, there is no way for the shop to know when a new one is coming or even if it is coming this year. Switchblade took longer than anyone expected to get an update.

If you like the current bike, might as well pull the trigger.

1101 - 1120 of 1142 Posts