Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
No rumors on the T429. But it’s due for an updated geo and the frame should go on a diet. My Switchblade is a pig. Just bought an Evil Offering. Feels like half the weight of the Pivot.

LOL. I want to see video evidence that there's a pound of difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all... Quick intro, I'm getting back into biking after a long absence following a bad accident and injury. I've been road riding, and can't shake the need to get back on the dirt. I'll keep it mellow, nothing super challenging but plenty fun. Well, holy crap, how the bikes have changed since last had one! I feel totally clueless now!! Anyhow, I've figured out that I'm looking for a trail bike, and have gone on short (~1 hour) trail rides on the following: Ripley V4, Ripmo V2, Tallboy, and Trail 429. Of these, I like the Trail 429. I guess not everyone does, but I like its stiffness compared to the Ripley. I found it has less bob going uphill, but is perhaps less forgiving going downhill. I actually like the planted feel and trail feedback it gives. It's just a fun as hell bike to me.

Dumb Question: I'm 5'11 and am leaning towards the Medium. Is there any reason I should push myself in to the size Large?? The Large Ripley was a great fit, but the Large T429 felt... a bit too large to me. I took out on the Medium T429 for a ride and preferred it to the Large. I feel like I'm right in between sizes on this bike. Medium might be a tad small with the Large just feeling a bit too stretched out and less controllable. Would the Large with a shorter stem be something I should consider? What are the tradeoffs here. Thanks!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
6'1" with ape arms, went with XL with 45mm stem. Fits like a glove. The short reach on the T429 means upsizing was a must IMHO. The Large felt just plain short. Plus it feels that bit more planted up and down with the longer wheelebase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm feel the opposite of humdinger. I'm 6'1" and went with a Large, couldn't be happier. To me the XL felt way too big.

ljgmdad: Go with what you are comfortable on and you will be happy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depends what you're used to and or want I guess. I wanted to be able to run the seat far forward as possible (to mitigate against the quite slack effective STA), and run a short stem. Doing this on the large meant it was super short in the effective top tube and reach, but otherwise handled fine. In the XL, it felt spot on. The stock XL with the longer factory stem and saddle middle position, it would have felt bigger.
Each to their own, but remember to think about what feel you want. If you want to have a more XC bike, maybe run a longer stem and go smaller size to get the shorter wheelbase, whereas if you want a more versatile trail setup, I'd size up and be able to run short stems, and the greater stability from the longer wheelbase.
Either way, try them out, and go for what you like, just don't judge it by factory setup, as you'll be misled. Superb bike, whatever size you choose :)

·
VMB
89 Posts
I'm right there with you on size, 5' 11" and 170 lbs. I have a friend who is almost identical to me and we are both riding the medium 429. I rode a friend's Ripmo (medium) and felt squeezed into the cockpit. The geometry of the Ripmo made for a very uncomfortable ride compared to the 429 I ended up buying. If you are settled on getting the 429 I would go with the medium, just my opinion. Let us know what your final decision is and how she feels once you get everything dialed in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually asked on the Pivot "live help" page and the person said she doesn't expect a change to the 429 for a couple years at least

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any rumors on a new Trail 429? Pivot’s site has very few builds offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait, what? They have 11 builds shown, including frame/fork. The only SKUs that I've seen them drop from current bikes is to eliminate the 27.5 offerings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Noone at the company is going to tell us anything yet but with the in line shock placement and downtube shape the 429 is looking pretty dated compared with mach 4 and switchblade updates.
Sure it still rides as well as ever but I just can’t bring myself to buy one now and I won’t be at all surprised if a revised version appears in the spring looking like a mini switchblade with straight tubes and a vertical shock. That might pry my wallet open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
They'd be better off saying "I don't know" than "no changes coming" though. I have a 429 on 24-hour rental right now... I say why change the rear linkage. This thing is so solid and so bob-free uphill. Don't F with that!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
They'd be better off saying "I don't know" than "no changes coming" though. I have a 429 on 24-hour rental right now... I say why change the rear linkage. This thing is so solid and so bob-free uphill. Don't F with that!
Because it's an improvement?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Noone at the company is going to tell us anything yet but with the in line shock placement and downtube shape the 429 is looking pretty dated compared with mach 4 and switchblade updates.
Sure it still rides as well as ever but I just can’t bring myself to buy one now and I won’t be at all surprised if a revised version appears in the spring looking like a mini switchblade with straight tubes and a vertical shock. That might pry my wallet open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Point to any single model release that happened less than 3 years after the previous launch. I'll wait.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, since we're talking about Pivot releases, that doesn't seem to particularly relevant. :rolleyes:
I'm curious, but when was the previous Pivot Mach 429 Trail released? I googled a bit and the earliest date I found referencing its introduction was like June 2015.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Well, since we're talking about Pivot releases, that doesn't seem to particularly relevant. :rolleyes:
Ibis hadn't done before either. Pivot made signification improvements with the new layout according to them.

Most people are clever enough to know those same changes are eventual coming to the 429, so many may wait. It's in Pivots best interest to go ahead and refresh early.

I'm looking for a new bike. The Ranger is at the top of the list. I like DW and CBF suspensions and Ibis took the Ripley V4 too far. Pivot has been more conservative in the geo changes, so the 429 is 2nd on my list even though I hate the super boost BS. There is no way I'd buy one now knowing it's getting major improvements.

·
change is good
3,110 Posts
No rumors on the T429. But it’s due for an updated geo and the frame should go on a diet. My Switchblade is a pig. Just bought an Evil Offering. Feels like half the weight of the Pivot.
I’m a pig too My Switchblade is the heaviest bike I’ve ever had. But I’ll gladly take it and the T429. I’m sick of flexy, fragile frames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1081 - 1100 of 1142 Posts