Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new Pivot release is imminent. The “Trail 429” is now showing on Pivot’s site under both the “XC/Trail” and “Enduro/Trail” categories. The link is not working yet. Guessing that will change in the next day or two!

My guess is 140f/120r, with updated geometry, consistent with Pivot’s other “new” bikes.

Edit: It’s here! https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-trail-429-first-ride.html

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 429t has always been in both categories on the site and I till see them there---no change--
Yes, the “Mach 429 Trail” has always been there in both categories. What is new is the addition of the “Trail 429”, which appears below the “Mach 429 Trail”.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Not seeing the Trail 429 now on their site. Must have been a teaser. Sub 17" chainstays?? 120-130r? 66* HA? Gonna be sweet..

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Just to compare the geometry to my Switchblade as I’m sure others will be interested too.

I’d have liked to see more reach and a steeper seat tube angle along with the use of the Step Cast 34, but it looks a fantastic bike. I like the fact it has a higher B.B., very useful in this part of the world!

·
Freezer
439 Posts
Wow, nice specs on the new Trail, and the frame looks great- very similar to the 5.5. In fact, the dimensions are nearly exactly the same as the 5.5. Super boost compatibility with cranks looks like it's going to be an issue- hope the benefits outweigh the hassle. Can't wait to see what the frame weighs. Now they need to do the same spec makeover to the 429SL, and I'll be first in line to upgrade my frame.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Wow, nice specs on the new Trail, and the frame looks great- very similar to the 5.5. In fact, the dimensions are nearly exactly the same as the 5.5. Super boost compatibility with cranks looks like it's going to be an issue- hope the benefits outweigh the hassle. Can't wait to see what the frame weighs. Now they need to do the same spec makeover to the 429SL, and I'll be first in line to upgrade my frame.
Frame weight 6.4lbs according to Pinkbike. :)

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-trail-429-first-ride.html

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I like the frame geo for sure. Bummed about no frame only option at this time. Reviews have been luke warm though. I just don't feel the excitement by the reviewers. Also they seem to not like the square edge and firmness of the suspension as most have spent time taking about it and actually pointing it out. Looks very Following MB to me. It will be interesting to see how it performs in our real world and the comparisons. However I like what I see so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agreed on the super boost. Otherwise it looks good.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice looking bike. Superboost Plus and no frame-only option take it off the list for me though.

Could be a home run for those who want complete bikes, instead of custom builds.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
No you won't no frame only option- silly Pivot you custom builders don't know how to build bikes properly.

From the MTBR post on it "Pivot wants to control the build kits to ensure the frames are built up with compatible components"

Honestly glad I didn't wait and ordered a TB3, they screw up the SL as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed on the super boost. Otherwise it looks good.
I don’t get it. Longer chainstays and less tire clearance compared to the Switchblade. And, no front derailleur compatibility either. Those were the three things Pivot said it gained by moving to Superboost plus on the Switchblade. So, why did they do it? Stiffness?

Most other companies can make a bike with adequate weight and stiffness properties without resorting to overkill rear spacing. They’re trading build flexibility, frame-only availability, and heel/ankle/shoe clearance for dubious stiffness gains.

I was ready to buy a frame at launch, assuming both availability and positive ride reviews. Appears the bike is falling short on both accounts. Their gamble of taking the first batch of reviewers on Mag 7 w/Portal backfired. Here’s my reading between the lines of the early reviews - “Wait! You want me to ride THIS? Down THAT?”

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Looks fine but really not that interesting.
It's not that different compared to SB in terms of geometry either.

Metric shock is fine but they could've used trunnion mount and incresed the stroke, as it is now - 45mm stroke for 120mm travel is a bit old school when most companies are using longer shocks to get smoother feeling rear end and decrease leverage ratio.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks fine but really not that interesting.
It's not that different compared to SB in terms of geometry either.

Metric shock is fine but they could've used trunnion mount and incresed the stroke, as it is now - 45mm stroke for 120mm travel is a bit old school when most companies are using longer shocks to get smoother feeling rear end and decrease leverage ratio.
Agree. In addition, short stroke causes issues for heavier riders. It’s much tougher to find the sweet spot during setup when you have a billion psi in the shock.

·
Registered
2021 Stumpjumper S-Works, 2020 Yeti Arc
591 Posts
Huge pivot fan but I’m disappointed in the use of super boost. Makes custom builds and using boost wheel sets that I already have impossible. I think it’s big strategic mistake by Pivot.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So glad I didn't wait for this update. I'm not a weight weenie but how did you make a frame that weighs almost a pound more than than the Mach 5.5??

Also, SuperBoostPlus:madman:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Super boost plus - nay.

Super short shock stroke - nay again.

Everything else looks great to me. Better looks, not super-fragile lightweight, BB height reasonable for people that pedal.

Bummer.

1 - 20 of 1142 Posts