Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pivot Bolt Spins - Carbon Frame

Edit-

I originally thought the sleeve for the chainstay pivot was rotating within the carbon frame. Apparently, this has happened in the past - not just on Trek frames, but I wanted to edit to clarify that the sleeve in my bike was NOT rotating, but I did have another issue that resulted in the pivot bolt spinning even when properly torqued.

I ran across an old thread with a similar problem where the guy claimed Trek had instructed to glue it with gorilla glue. I've also found threads with rotating bottom bracket shells where people used 2-part marine epoxy to secure.

Anyone with experience of this?

Green Yellow Colorfulness Circle Gas

AM.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had this many years ago on a Fuel EX. They sent me a slightly bigger bushing and I used gorilla snot to hold it in. Never budged after that.

·
Community Manager at Trek
578 Posts
The sleeve for the chainstay pivot can rotate within the carbon frame. It's not super loose, but when the bolt is tight, I can rotate the whole sleeve.

I ran across an old thread with a similar problem where the guy claimed Trek had instructed to glue it with gorilla glue. I've also found threads with rotating bottom bracket shells where people used 2-part marine epoxy to secure.

Anyone with experience of this?

View attachment 1260455

AM.
Hey there, I'd highly recommend that you bring your frame into a retailer. Gorilla glue would not be the recommended fix - but you may want to consider a frame replacement depending on the evaluation outcome.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yes I'm sure the safe answer is a new frame, but I'm also looking at an upcoming ride that has been planned for nearly a year. I will need to either ride it as is or glue it somehow. I don't think it's a safety hazard in the short run.

AM.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update... I took it back apart this afternoon, as it was difficult to be 100% sure the sleeve was rotating. I was able to put a regular bolt/nut in the sleeve and it did NOT turn when torque was applied! Examining everything more closely, what I think was happening is that the pivot bolt may have been moving against the end of the sleeve (perhaps under-torqued?) resulting in some wear on the sleeve. This meant the chainstay had too much clearance making it difficult to get the bolt properly tightened.

I needed some thin shims, so I fashioned two out of the lid of a tin can. These took up the slop and allowed me to properly torque the pivot bolt. All is well now! Here are a couple pictures to show the visible wear on the end of the sleeve along with my handywork manufacturing shims!

Back in the saddle tomorrow!

Green Yellow Synthetic rubber Plastic Steel

Circle Metal Silver Masque

AM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.