Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between these two bikes and need some help. I wont be able to try either one out before buying.

Can anyone with experience on or owns one of these beauties give me some real feedback on the pro's and con's of either?

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
You're not going to find too many comparisons since the phoenix is relatively new.

But I can say that I like my 2011 DHR. It is extremely plush, and super agile. On the trails and jumps, I felt that it is livelier than my 6 inch bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The obvious common thread between these two bikes is the DW Link. I have a 2011 DHR and am a big fan of the Turner and the DW Link.

I've heard excellent things about both bikes, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. The shop I bought my DHR from is also a Pivot dealer, and they raved about the Phoenix and its pedaling ability. At one time or another I considered the Phoenix, and just about every other top of the line DH bike, while making my decision. With bikes on that level you will have a difficult time finding anyone with something bad to say about them.

The deciding factor for me was the fact that Turner bikes are handmade here in the US, and frames are actually built in Portland, OR where I live. Turner also has an incredible customer service reputation.

So far, after about 3 months of riding, I have nothing bad to say about the performance of my DHR. It is light, agile, and of course pedals exceptionally well with the DW link. My bike came in right at 37lbs with full Saint build and a Fox 40. I've seen some Boxxer WC/SRAM builds come in about 35.5. It is one of, if not the lightest, big bike you can build. Without a doubt the bike is faster than I am, but I did notice an improvement in my riding after the first ride. Balance and cornering is amazing compared to my old Kona Stab, and I found that almost immediately I quit cornering moto style and was able to stay on the pedals through tough sections.

Here is a link to my build thread:
2011 Turner DHR

I would advise that you check out the posts about the DHR in the Turner forums on mtbr.com, as they do contain a lot of information. Performance of the DHR is exceptional, but it does seem there were some design flaws or ommisions that prevent the use of some components.

As a few examples, the DHR will not accept a Vivid Air shock without additional milling of the shock housing since it was designed around the dimensions of a DHX and not the larger diameter of the Vivid Air.

Lots of good stuff can also be found in these threads:
2011 DHR Setups
2011 DHR Tech & Setup

I also found that although every article and video I viewed concerning the DHR referenced its compatibility with the Angleset, I had problems with frame contact between the crown and frame on Fox 40. Turner replied that the frame was designed around the use of an external bearing headset, which would have been very useful info BEFORE I bought a Fox 40 and Angleset for my build. The solution for me ending up being the purchase of an aftermarket crown from Risse Racing, which has pinch bolts in the front of the crown and provides extra clearance needed between the frame and crown to run an angleset.

Here is a link to my post:
2011 Turner DHR & Fox 40 Frame Contact

As another cool note, both these bikes seem to be pretty rare....at least at this time. I was at NW Cup Round 2 last week, and did not see another 2011 DHR. I only saw 2 Pivot Phoenix bikes, and they were ridden by Pros.

Thats my $0.02. Here is a pic of my DHR I took last weekend.

Attachments

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
Just finished riding a jump trail, and I have to say that I am loving the DHR. It is so plush that I dont feel any of the landing. At that same time, it is poppy and you can get good air. It is very balanced in the air and I never felt like I was out of control.

What blows my mind too is that it is to easy to move around in the air. I love this bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I havent ridden a DW DHR but I am in love with my new Phoenix. They are now shipping to the "common people". This bike rides like no other DH bike I have ridden and I have ridden quite a few. It is super responsive and nimble, turns and manuals at the mere thought. Pedals great of course, and easy to hop. The bike craves rider input but also demands it. It is not a bike to go to sleep on. Also I cant seem to get the weight down without making some performance sacrifices. Mine weighs in at 41. I might have to look at tubeless, but I refuse to put an air fork on this beauty.. I might be biased but I think the Pivot is a better looking bike than the Turner. Cant wait for Whistler in July!!

Attachments

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Not too sober so if this is terrible way of going about it.... my bad

Origin of Production: Turner takes the cake cuz we got West Side U - S - A!!!!!!
Engineering quality: Turner is just on another level, attention to detail is off the hook. Engineering masterpiece.
Weight of frame: They're both light, don't worry about the grams fool
Geometry: They both have kick ass geometry
Price: Pivot will save you about $200
Stiffness: Pivot has a freakin burly rear end but that being said I have no complaints from my DHR being flexy whatsoever
Overall: You can't go wrong with either bike, you really can't. If you want to be an economic patriot you'd go with the DHR and never look back.

Ph and sesthetically the DHR is miles beyond

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
supermoto said:
... Also I cant seem to get the weight down without making some performance sacrifices. Mine weighs in at 41. I might have to look at tubeless
FWIW, if tubeless works for a DH hack like me I'm sure it'd be good for you. I've run Maxxis and Kenda DH tires with Stan's rubber strips and it's a huge improvement in "rolling weight feel" - better acceleration, yadda yadda. Makes it comfortable running stupid-burly Neve 2.7 on the front even (for me).

·
Registered
573 Posts
supermoto said:
...... I might be biased but I think the Pivot is a better looking bike than the Turner.......
Pivot definitely has the beauty edge over the Turner. To me, the Turner looks bland, nothing jumps out. The Pivot looks burlier (more massive) at both the front and rear triangles (maybe this is why the Pivot weighs more).

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
gticlay said:
DHR looks cooler as frame-only. Once they are built up the Turner is kind of fugly for some reason. I'm jonesing for a Phoenix.
I have to agree. No disrepect to the poster above but that DHR in the pic, the orange one, does nothing for me aesthetically. I don't think it's the color either, can't put my finger on it

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
supermoto said:
I havent ridden a DW DHR but I am in love with my new Phoenix. They are now shipping to the "common people". This bike rides like no other DH bike I have ridden and I have ridden quite a few. It is super responsive and nimble, turns and manuals at the mere thought. Pedals great of course, and easy to hop. The bike craves rider input but also demands it. It is not a bike to go to sleep on. Also I cant seem to get the weight down without making some performance sacrifices. Mine weighs in at 41. I might have to look at tubeless, but I refuse to put an air fork on this beauty.. I might be biased but I think the Pivot is a better looking bike than the Turner. Cant wait for Whistler in July!!
Hey there, just a quick note re tubeless. As awesome as those Syncros rims are I'm skeptical of how they would work as a tubeless conversion. It was ridiculously easy to install your minion on the Syncros rim which makes me wonder if a tubeless setup would blow off the rim easily. If you went true tubeless with a Mavic 823 I doubt you would be really saving any weight. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

now quit whining about weight and go ride Somo or something, your bike is pure sexy :yesnod:

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
eabos said:
I have to agree. No disrepect to the poster above but that DHR in the pic, the orange one, does nothing for me aesthetically. I don't think it's the color either, can't put my finger on it
Eye of the beholder perhaps, but I think the new DHR is the best looking DH rig out there. I do think the Phoenix is great looking too. The DHR is so spare, with a visual economy of effort that appeals to me. As an architect, I can tell you that is not an easy thing to pull off. It probably helps to keep all the linkage so low and compact around the BB.

I certainly wouldn't base my decision to buy one based on looks though. I am drawn to a more active suspension like a Podium or Jedi (although I could never buy a Jedi based on looks alone :eekster: ).

·
Registered
682 Posts
I haven't ridden a Pivot Phoenix so I can't comment on that but I do have a 2011 DHR, and personally I would tell you to get the Phoenix.:eek:

One of the reasons I bought the DHR was because of Turners supposedly superior build quality and highly renowned customer service. However, upon receiving my frame and dealing with Turner I can't really say anything good about them. My frame had noticeable burn through on both the headset and bottom bracket, and a messed up weld that was covered up. The headset also needed reaming and I had to re-chase the bb because the threads looked horrendous.

After all of that I was a little disturbed at the lack of frame prep or quality control on Turner's behalf, but all of that really isn't that bad compared to what I discovered while building the frame up: the iscg tabs were out of spec by over 3mm! I mean really, how do you mess that up? The design of the tab on the dhr is basically one unit welded onto the bb, but mine has a noticeable gap in between the bb tabs and the bb. The best part, Turner's response was to file down a chain guide to make it work, or do as I had ended up doing and run almost 10mm of spacers to get a bb adapter to clear the frame welds and thus ruin the chain line. I ended up milling down a bb adapter so I now have a proper chain line.

However, as far as the ride goes this bike is amazing. It's very smooth, and corners better than any other bike I have ever ridden. In the rough I feel that it is smoother than my old v10, and tracks better in hard braking sections. I do notice the rear shock spiking at high speeds however, but that is my only complaint of the ride of the bike. It really is the best DH bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
515 Posts
No worries Eabos. I just figure you gotta complain about something or no one takes your review seriously. The bike does not feel heavy at all. Also I wont be running tubeless on the syncros rims, just dont have the patience for it. Had some nice flight time at the pit this morning and the bike is getting tweaked and dialed in nicely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.