Votes: 23 62.2%
  • 2009 Pivot Mach V

Votes: 14 37.8%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both bikes have DW-Link and I'm curious what those of you who've ridden both feel about them? I just test rode a pivot mach 5 today and felt it was a pretty good bike, felt solid all around and climbs surprisingly well. I'm not sure how to compare it to my 2008 Iron Horse MKIII since my mkIII is a size too small for me, but both bikes feel pretty good with the mach 5 having an edge in riding comfort only because I was riding the correct size :p . What do you mtbr's think when comparing the two from a riding performance point of view? (i.e. excluding warranty advantage of the Pivot, etc)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Bang for buck wise the MKIII wins hands down. Overall niceness of a bike the Pivot wins. If you have the money spring for the Pivot. If you like to save money here and there and don't mind looking for good deals on parts the MKIII is hard to beat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
well ive never rode either one but my mk3 is almost done and im positive im going to love it. mk is better bang for the buck for sure. and im sure they both ride pretty simular, both have 5ish inch dwlink travel, 69 headangle, close in weght, i think they would ride the same if you put the same parts on each frame. but what it comes down to is what components you spec the bike out with. and with the pivot i think its an awesome bike but your paying for the name. its like comparing a cadillac escalade to a chevy suburban. same exact truck but with a different badge and body but its almost twice as much money.

the pivots dw link has the same idea as the iron horse but its set up different. and i think the pivot has a custom shimano bb( almost 90 mm wide i think) so its probley a stiffer bike than the ih. i think they would both ride the same... but even if i had the money i would still buy a mk3 over the mach5.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The Mach 5 rides a little firmer in mid travel even though it has more travel. The Mach 5 BB is higher. A moderately high BB is an advantage for pedal clearance if you ride a lot of rougher trail, most riders don't, so most bikes with this travel have low BB's to be a little more stable on easy terrain and a little quicker side to side cornering tight "s" turns.

The Mkiii is heavier but not by much.

No bikes are stiffer than Pivot bikes. And engineering refinement is also second to none.

An Mkiii is a great bike, especially considering the low cost these days. Pivot bikes are designed for advanced and expert riders. Very few compare closely with the Pivot bikes in quality.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jdr6031 said:
i have been looking at the IH MKIII myself, how do they hold up on jumps and drops
My 2008 mkiii was solid on jumps. The entire bike felt plenty stiff, but not harsh at all. Overall, it was a very smooth and controlled ride. The only reason I'm selling it is because I learned it was one size too small for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.