Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Pivot 2 cents

cajonezzz said:
Whats your take on the mach 5? very interested in that bike...
Just my two cents on the Mach 5. I love the bike but it fells two low in the front. I'm running a Thomson X4 stem 0 rise with a Specialized carbon rise bar. The bike is solid but for me the bike is just to low in the front for a trail bike in my opinion. When I'm going DH on the bike it fells like I'm riding a 3" travel race bike. My Intense 5.5 has the stem all the way down to the head set cup and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Maybe some other Pivot riders can help me out before I give up on the bike.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
Just my two cents on the Mach 5. I love the bike but it fells two low in the front. I'm running a Thomson X4 stem 0 rise with a Specialized carbon rise bar. The bike is solid but for me the bike is just to low in the front for a trail bike in my opinion. When I'm going DH on the bike it fells like I'm riding a 3" travel race bike. My Intense 5.5 has the stem all the way down to the head set cup and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Maybe some other Pivot riders can help me out before I give up on the bike.:)
Yeah, I know, it's terrible... I'll take it off your hands just to help a buddy out. :D

Is it the actual height of the bars relative to the seat that you don't like, or is it that the front feels low while riding, even though the static bar to seat relationship is the same as your other bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
Just my two cents on the Mach 5. I love the bike but it fells two low in the front. I'm running a Thomson X4 stem 0 rise with a Specialized carbon rise bar. The bike is solid but for me the bike is just to low in the front for a trail bike in my opinion. When I'm going DH on the bike it fells like I'm riding a 3" travel race bike. My Intense 5.5 has the stem all the way down to the head set cup and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Maybe some other Pivot riders can help me out before I give up on the bike.:)
Try running a bit more sag in the rear, at least 30%. It will help relax the geometry a bit. Running less sag will make the rear end feel like it's riding too high. You may also want to try a stem with a few degrees of rise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Mach 5

Thanks for all the input, I will give them all a try. To answer your question mountainbiker7624. When you are climbing on it, It feels fine. But when you point it down the hill. It feels like I'm way to far forward. To me My Intense feels far more comfortable. I used to race Expert DH So going down is one of my strengths. But I just can't get situated on this bike. The way I have the bike set up right now, I have 1 1/4" of spacers between the stem and the headset. With that set-up the drop from the saddle to the stem is only like 1/2 an inch. If you go to the Intense forum and look at the 5.5 rides you can see what my set-up is on that one. I love the pivot it is a solid bike, but it just doesn't feel right. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
Thanks for all the input, I will give them all a try. To answer your question mountainbiker7624. When you are climbing on it, It feels fine. But when you point it down the hill. It feels like I'm way to far forward. To me My Intense feels far more comfortable. I used to race Expert DH So going down is one of my strengths. But I just can't get situated on this bike. The way I have the bike set up right now, I have 1 1/4" of spacers between the stem and the headset. With that set-up the drop from the saddle to the stem is only like 1/2 an inch. If you go to the Intense forum and look at the 5.5 rides you can see what my set-up is on that one. I love the pivot it is a solid bike, but it just doesn't feel right. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I'm on the fence between the Mojo and the Mach5, so this is good info. I plan to do 2day demo rides on both bikes in the next month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
Just my two cents on the Mach 5. I love the bike but it fells two low in the front. I'm running a Thomson X4 stem 0 rise with a Specialized carbon rise bar. The bike is solid but for me the bike is just to low in the front for a trail bike in my opinion. When I'm going DH on the bike it fells like I'm riding a 3" travel race bike. My Intense 5.5 has the stem all the way down to the head set cup and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Maybe some other Pivot riders can help me out before I give up on the bike.:)
This may be a crazy question; but are you sure the fork is set to the 140mm setting? The bike is spec'd with a Talas fork for you to run the 120mm setting for quicker handling on flatter less technical trails, but it is designed to be optimal in the 140mm setting. If you're in the 120 settting you'll most definitely over the front of the bike when pointed downhill.
 

·
Registered
Pivot Trail 429 & Switchblade
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Mach 5 climbed much better than my Specialized SJ Expert. The front end on the SJ tends to bob-around a bit. Also, it was much easier for me to bunny hop over large logs. The bike just seemed to spring off the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
cycle progression said:
c&d dad, cant see why you are complaining about front end feeling low, yet you prefer the ibis. the mach 5 has a slightly taller headtube than the mojo,. and it is within a cm of the 5.5 from intense.
I know that is what I don't get. The stem on the 5.5 is almost down to the headset cups, and I have no back or neck problems. Same with the Mojo. I took the Mojo to Mammoth last year and rode trails like Skid mark and shotgun which are black diamond trails. Both bikes didn't give me that to far over the bars feeling. I just haven't felt that confidence on the Mach 5 yet. Believe me I'm trying to figure it out, that's why I'm picking Pivot riders brains to see if they can help me out.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
I know that is what I don't get. The stem on the 5.5 is almost down to the headset cups, and I have no back or neck problems. Same with the Mojo. I took the Mojo to Mammoth last year and rode trails like Skid mark and shotgun which are black diamond trails. Both bikes didn't give me that to far over the bars feeling. I just haven't felt that confidence on the Mach 5 yet. Believe me I'm trying to figure it out, that's why I'm picking Pivot riders brains to see if they can help me out.:thumbsup:
How much sag are you running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Sag setting

DaveX said:
How much sag are you running?
Hi Dave,

Well I'm ashamed to say it was far less than 30% :madman: . Today I went on Pivots site and went to the tech page and followed there instructions. When I first got my bike they didn't have the suspension recommendations up. Plus there was no manual with the bike, so I was going by feel. I'm taking it out today and I'm sure my opinions will change. Right now I feel about an inch tall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Don't feel bad. When I first got my Pivot I was in such a hurry to ride it after work that I just set it up like my old Moto-Lite with about a 1/4 inch sag. Guess what, I felt the same over the bars feeling you're getting. It took me about 4 rides before I finally set the sag up right, this even after reading the tech info on Pivot's site. I had to forget everything I thought I knew about setting up sag from my past bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
Good, I'm sure it will ride just as well out here in Dusty, Rocky, southern California. Thanks for your help and insight Dave. it is appreciated. :thumbsup:
Let us know how it works out. And don't forget to take a shock pump on the ride with you for trailside adjustments.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top