Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one...

Pulled the rear triangle off my X5 the other day and checked out all the bearings which are on the way out after nearly two years (in Australian drought conditions) but still have a bit of life left in them. Pried the seals off and re-packed the outer bearing (have the quad bearing kit) of all pivot points which were nearly all dry. I reckon I could go another 12 months before a bearing replacement was actually necessary, so a re-pack will do for the moment.

I spent a bit of time marvelling at the quality and simplicity of Sherwood's engineering. I had never really though about what stainless teel pivot hardware was - it's a brilliant, yet hidden feature of these bikes.

Anyway, to cut to the question, is it appropriate to put a thin film of grease on these SS pivots when re-assembling the rear triangle? I did, mainly because one or two were a little tricky to remove. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
At the factory there is a small amount of grease put onto the outside of the pivot shaft before you slide them in. (wow...that sounds reeeeeal bad....)
Then when you install the bolt grease the shoulder of the bolt where the head is going to bump up against the pivot. Then use a small amount of Blue Loctite on the threads.
Torque it down to spec and all is good.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
Internal14 said:
At the factory there is a small amount of grease put onto the outside of the pivot shaft before you slide them in. (wow...that sounds reeeeeal bad....)
Then when you install the bolt grease the shoulder of the bolt where the head is going to bump up against the pivot. Then use a small amount of Blue Loctite on the threads.
Torque it down to spec and all is good.
I second that motion......Loctite 242 (light blue).....just a dab will do yeah. Then torque to spec.....that's real important because it's so easy to over tighten bolts. I have a friend that used the perminant loctite on his pivots once.....I say that once because he buggered the whole thing up and I had to pleasure of fixing his mess....he will go unnamed. This same guy sprayed WD-40 inside his King rear hub......again I had the please to fix his mistake:madman:

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
I second that motion......Loctite 242 (light blue).....just a dab will do yeah. Then torque to spec.....that's real important because it's so easy to over tighten bolts. I have a friend that used the perminant loctite on his pivots once.....I say that once because he buggered the whole thing up and I had to pleasure of fixing his mess....he will go unnamed. This same guy sprayed WD-40 inside his King rear hub......again I had the please to fix his mistake:madman:
Sounds like your friend there is one helluva mechanic eh?!
Nothing like duct tape and bailing wire..and a 32oz. hammer too that'll fix everything.:madman:

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip.
I haven't used any grease or Loctite on the threads as I check these fairly regualrly and try not to overfasten the hex bolts. Prolly should give it a squirt of new Loctite for good measure though...

cheers

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I'd say to use some grease when you're in there, no harm with that.

Also I've found that if you grease the shoulder it keeps the mysterious pivot creak away.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.