Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year's to everyone!!

I'm in the process of doing ye' ole winter maintanance on the bike and was going to check all of the pivot bolts for tightness. I began to wonder if it is good to just slap a torque wrench on there and check them and potentially break the Loctite bond on the bolts (I haven't touhed the pivots since new except for grease). Is this really an issue with the Loctite?

Just curious on what your thoughts are on this. In the past with other bikes, I just check the bolt torque occasionally - maybe a couple times during the year. Over the winter I would tear the whole rear suspension apart and perform bearing maintenance/replacement and button it all back together with fresh loctite. Never had any bolts come loose.

Since I have the Turner 5Spot now, bearing maintenance like that is gone. Yeehaw!! Do I really need to check the bolts for tightness? Would just checking the tightness do the job? Or should I check tightness and if the bolt moves, pull it and re-Loctitie it?

Mike

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Chances are none of them need a damn thing, but it's a good and easy procedure, you'll see and appreciate the bushing system, and get an off season buzz. I'd say go ahead and pop them all open and clean, regrease, and retighten. Either a good torque wrench or longer handled wrench help with working the torx bolts without stripping them.

Both myself and others on the forum have lost the rear chainstay HL pivot nut every once in a blue moon, and sometimes a poorly torqued main pivot bolt will back out slowly over time. Neither are common, but it happens, so good to check torques once or more a season. Very low maintenance needs, and some get away for years with nothing other than grease to the zerks.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
If your bike does not have any play in the rear, bolt inspection is as follows: Look down and see if any backed out, then go ride.
That's it.

BUT since we are constant fiddlers by nature, and many have off season due to inclement weather, if you're bored, sure go ahead and pull the bolts and the pivots, like Moose suggests just to have a look.

Like Moose said you should clean the threads on the bolts and inside the pivot shafts, and apply blue loctite before retorqueing them. This will pretty much make sure they'll stay put. I've never had a retorqued bolt back out when I used blue loctite.

Note, the factory loctite can be redic-u-strong. Make sure you have good tools and bits. Make sure you're applying pressure squarely on the bolt. Make sure you have a good long torsion bar (breaker bar) or extender pipe so you can get good steady leverage on the bolt to loosen it. Use a good torque wrench to tighten it.(Never use it to break it loose...bad for the wrench)

If you happen to have hex bolts instead of T40s be extra-extra-extra careful. Perhaps even heat the bolt head with a micro torch first or break the loctite by tightening it a smidge first. The Hex bolts can be easy to round. If you have hex bolts don't start till you order some T40s from turner and toss the hexes after you take them out.

Check out the pivot maintenance guide on Turner's website or Tscheezy's signature before starting just to get a feel for where you're going.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Follow the guys instructions, but honestly its so easy no one should be scared of this, torque wrenches are nice if ya got em and I will get one, but if not then as long as ya got tools go easy as BZ said support things when loosening and tightening even in my state I was able to do it.

I always keep an eye on those bolts anyways as a maintenance thing weekly had one come loose once at the BB! Strange back in 07 during the wet season not sure why, caught it early!

But never came loose again I do it all by hand no loc tight I had no squeaks or creaks, but don't be scared its so simple really just go easy and give it a go! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. It doesn’t appear that I really need to do a tear down of the rear suspension (no play at all) and I’ve never had a Loctited bolt loosen on me, so I wondered if it was really necessary to check the bolts. I did a couple searches earlier and, like BZ noted, the factory Loctite works very well to say the least, which added to my “is it necessary” thoughts.

I guess the best thing would be to err on the safe side and check-em out. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.