Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to the forum and seeking some advice.
I am having trouble choosing between these two bikes . Any input would be really appreciated.
Pivot 429 with x9 setup. $ 4300 out the door
I like eveything about it ..........except the rear tire clearance ( looks to be less than 3/16 of an inch) also the price tag

And the fuel ex8 $3500 out the door
I also love this bike ( except the rims/hubs) lbs is making mea dt swiss wheelset ( exact same as pivots wheelset)
They ordered both in for me as long as I pick one of them. I thought that was pretty cool of them.
Anyways I cant decide if pivot is worth the $ 800 price differance?
Any thoughts or opinios?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm curious what the concern is with the small tire clearance. Are you concerned about being able to put different tires on or getting mud packed on the tire?

I just haven't seen this mentioned as an issue before and I'm interested in those bikes as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in mn. So yes mud can be kind of a concern sometimes.ans I read a fair amount of reviews that claimed the sto k tires rubbed and actualy wore the paint off the bike.
I guess bottom line is is the pivot worth 800 more than the treck and why?

·
change is good
3,215 Posts
The clearance on the alloy can be tight. For wet conditions I liked the Ground Control 2.1 and for additional traction the Mountain King 2.2. Did you test ride the bikes? The Trek is a good bike, the Pivot stellar. I just bought the 429c a and it is marginally better in every way except mud clearance. It is superior to my old 429a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
What is the issue with the Trek Wheelset?

The hubs are DT Swiss. The Duster rims are very wide (25.5mm internal), and apparently very strong.
Tubeless ready for an extra 25-30 bucks for Bontrager rimstrips and stems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the issue is mine, I really like dt swiss. In my opinion they have much less rolling resistance than others. ( I was told that bontrager hubs are no longer dt swiss. They are bontagers own hubs. I guess they stopped using dt in 2012 )
I test rode both bikes and the dt wheelset seamed much faster to me. I guess it may be my biased towards them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input everybody. I will post what i ended up choosing, tommorow is the day i come home with a bike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got to the lbs and rode the trek for about 20 min, I really liked it and thougjt that was it.......... then I rode the pivot! Withing 50' of the bike shop I new. I am now the proud owner of a pivot mach 429
It was way more money than I wanted to spend but I think in the long run I will be happier

·
change is good
3,215 Posts
My 429a was the most reliable bike I ever owned and I've broken a few. The mud issue wasn't a major issue for me since I tend to run smaller tires in the rear when I go with a more aggressive tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts