Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the new Pivot 429 (2021 year) that comes with 29" wheels. I am thinking of changing to 27.5 wheels. I am a beginner and coming from a 27.5+ hardtail, I am having difficulty adjusting to the 29" size wheels. Has anyone done this? How does the ride feel? Do you recommend doing this? I spoke to my LBS and he told me just to buy a new bike that is made for 27.5 wheels. He think the Pivot 429 is designed mainly for 29" wheels.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree the fact if you want stick with a 27.5, take a bike made for those tire size!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
How long have you had the bike? It took me a while to adjust to 29" wheels but now it feels normal. Maybe give yourself some time to adjust to the new bike. You already have the bike so you have nothing to lose. If, at the end, it's not for you then I would get a different bike that's specifically for 27.5" wheels. The Mach 5.5 is a really fun bike.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is it a longer bike? If youre coming off an older bike the geometry will be quite different too. I'd leave it 29. I have both 29 and 27.5 and my 29r is more agile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Trail 429 for 4 months. I am getting better at riding it now than before. However, every time I took the hardtail out ( Santa Cruz Chameleon 27.5+), I wished the trail 429 ride would feel the the same. The full suspension is nice on my body and knees but it is not as agile as my old Chameleon.

However, the purpose of my original post was not really about me. I just want to know if anyone who own the newest trail 429 with different wheel setup (27.5 and/or mullet) can share their experience. After all, the Pivot 429 bike was advertised to be able to handle 27.5+ wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the 27.5+ and 29er have a very similar diameter. The wheel is smaller but the plus tire is larger making them close to the same. So I'm guessing the difference you are feeling is in the geometry of the bike not the wheel size. I just went from a 27.5 bike to a the new Trail 429 and barely noticed a difference.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a pair of SC hightowers, one set up as a 27.5 and the other a 29 and they feel similar. The 27.5 seems to be more nimble and responsive with less roll over ability.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have a V2 Switchblade I've been riding for the last year, I have both 29 and 27.5+ wheel sets, the 29 wheel set is faster all around, but my 27.5s are my "fun size" wheels, they roll over and through everything, they bounce and pop off stuff and are just plain fun. enjoy, ride what you like and f' what other people say.....juss sayin'

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the Trail 429 for 4 months. I am getting better at riding it now than before. However, every time I took the hardtail out ( Santa Cruz Chameleon 27.5+), I wished the trail 429 ride would feel the the same. The full suspension is nice on my body and knees but it is not as agile as my old Chameleon.

However, the purpose of my original post was not really about me. I just want to know if anyone who own the newest trail 429 with different wheel setup (27.5 and/or mullet) can share their experience. After all, the Pivot 429 bike was advertised to be able to handle 27.5+ wheels.
Compare the front center and rear center of the bikes.

I ride an EVIL Offering (designed as a 29er) with 27.5 x 2.6 wheels. I love it. Yes it feels agile and borders on the sketchy side of things, but that's due to suspension.

As for geometry, you can feel that it is a longer bike and in switchbacks, you have to definitely turn later (to make a wider arc) than simply cutting in. On the same switchbacks, the 27.5 will feel quicker to turn in, but you still need to go wide because the wheelbase does not change when going between wheel sizes.

The one thing to note is that if you do go with smaller wheels and your BB gets super low, the bike will feel very grounded and almost seem hard to get off the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have a V2 Switchblade I've been riding for the last year, I have both 29 and 27.5+ wheel sets, the 29 wheel set is faster all around, but my 27.5s are my "fun size" wheels, they roll over and through everything, they bounce and pop off stuff and are just plain fun. enjoy, ride what you like and f' what other people say.....juss sayin'
Thanks for the advice! I am now looking for 27.5 wheel sets. The option for 27.5 wheel sets with superboost is so limited. Any rec for a good 27.5 wheel set with superboost that is compatible with Shimano derailleur?

Had I known about the scarcity of superboost wheel sets, I would not have bought a Pivot bicycle. On the brighter side, not many bike can accommodate 2 different wheel sizes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a thought, I'd try swapping your bar and stem from your the Chameleons (make sure the bar roll is exactly the same) and see if that makes a difference as cockpit setup can be huge in my experience.

Second, the steering differences from differences in geometry are very significant. The Trail 429 being a slacker bike with longer reach than your Chameleon.

In my opinion a wheel swap is not going fix your issue by itself, I'd adjust bar roll first, which can be huge. Then look into the actual bar itself (length, back sweep, rise, upsweep) and stem length as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts