Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking experience riding the Trail 429 enduro build in GWNF, Frederick watershed, and similar terrain. Not a bunch of reviews on this build.

Debating between the enduro build and a Switchblade. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just looked that up and can say I want one! Funny as I was thinking of demoing a 429 for the shed. It probably depends on what trails you gravitate to, for the downhill the switchblade may be better, but everything else the 429 could be the ticket. A-1 has demoes (not sure if they have both, they definitely have a M 429). If I do end up demoing I'll post something up but for your purposes it may not be too soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Have spent a little time on SB and a regular T429. Both are solid bikes with a lot of reviews out there. Just not a lot of reviews or personal accounts of experience with the enduro build.

I am truly and XL size and finding suitable demos as you recommend is tough.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The switchblade is a more legit enduro/AM bike, but I'm not yet sold on the new shock placement versus previous Pivot models. The switchblade can be tuned or setup to a wider range of usage scenarios, IMO. And it climbs just fine. That's what I'd probably choose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Given the lack of info coming out about the 429 enduro build and spending some more time with the SB I am leaning towards ordering a SB to be ready by summer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rumor has it that a new Trail 429 will be released in 2021. A1 Cycles in Herndon had the new Switchblade and current 429 (non-Enduro). You may want to talk to those guys.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I test road the switblade in Pisgah. Great bike! The higher BB made peddling through chunk much better than the previous model. IMHO it peddles better than the Ripmo. And is versatile. You can do a light build for all day riding, or coil for big days. I'd pick the beefed up 429 trail if you mostly ride moderate trails and only hit the trails you mentioned occasionally. Or you really like picking your lines. Nothing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats. Once it comes in, be interested on your impressions and whether you sized up or down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats. Once it comes in, be interested on your impressions and whether you sized up or down.
Thanks. I went with an XL. I’m 6’3” and pretty evenly proportioned. Was able to spend some time on an XL SB and XL Trail 429 and believe XL to be the right fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts