Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Horst Linked
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode at Pittstown on Sat., Grafton on Sunday. Trails are in great shape overall, could use a good raking, but that's about it. I skipped Spruce Bog b/c I figured it would be a swamp. Saw some cute girls riding on Sunday but they didn't stop to talk with me. I was sad :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's been dry in Pittstown for almost 2 weeks now but its so backwoods that the leaves are the biggest problem...I am organizing a work party there within a few weeks through MHCC, who are (almost) the official trail stewards at Pittstown. We may even cut a few new lines...

·
Horst Linked
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride Pitts/Grafton or Western Mass. most weekends. Blue Turner XCE, lots o' tattoos. It would be cool to ride with some other people. I used to be a member of MHCC but never made any of the group rides. Let me know about maintenance as well, I'll see if I can make it. Pittstown has tons of potential for new trails.

·
Registered
305 Posts
today and tomorrow?

I am headed there today (wed) to get a head start on any work party and will rake out Bonnie & Clyde way up across from Looney Hollow) and hopefully get a head start on Zig Zag before the rain sets in later. I am off of work early, look for the Black Suburu at the top of the fire road and follow the trail if you all want to check out that trail...it barely ever gets raked out and is hard to find, still needs to be marked with the DEC discs...

If anyone's into a ride, I plan to go there tomorrow (Thurs 4/21), meeting at the lower lot past the koisk. I'll ride up the fire road and do Bonnie & Clyde to Zig Zag and either out to the cars or might backtrack to the other Zig Zag entrance...Lemme know if you all want to ride and what time to meet. I can be there by 4:30 or so...Jim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where do these trails start? I'm just getting back into riding after a 10 year hiatus. My new bike will be here on Wednesday and I'm itching to ride. I'm kind of familiar with the area since I grew up in Averill Park. Thanks for the info.

Rich

·
Registered
305 Posts
starting points...

there's 3 entrances/exits off the fire lane. Go into Pittstown SF and go past the koisk (where a map used to be but it looks like someone busted into it)...

1. Go up the rise and there's a parking lot on your left. (We often times park there and eventually lop back to the lot, but you can climb up this way too.) Go onto the ATV trail (now Corridor 9 snowmobile trail) , pass over a bunch of mudholes and a stream. After the stream, look right for the DEC disc markings...start climbing on the singletrack.

2. OR... go back to the firelane, take a left and start climbing. Pass the unofficial rifle range on the left. climb some more and you'll come to your next parking lot on the right (Ward Hollow trail from Grafton dumps out there). Look immediately to your left whil on the fire lane and you'll see the DEC disc markings. Climb up the trail and you'll then be officially onto the Zig Zag trail. This will bring you down to the ATV trail mentioned above. Take a left on the atv trail and you'll be back at your car.

3. OR...skip the entrance mentioned above and keep climbing up the fire lane, hitting a pretty good climb. When you get to the top, look for a major trail (atv sized on your right). This is Looney Hollow, which also comes down from Grafton. Immediately look left and you will see 2 unmarked trails: a singletrack to the left and an ATV to the right (goes to a graveyard). Take the singletrack to the left. This is called Bonnie and Clyde. It's official but is yet to be marked. It will drop you down to a skidder road. Take a right (you'll see a fire pit and a shot out Model T, hence Bonnie & Clyde). Follow the skidder road up the climb. At the top, look left for a short connector trail (I'll rake today). This will take you to another skidder road. Take a left. Then take your next right up a short, rocky climb and it will turn into singletrack. This trail will connect you to Zig Zag, as mentioned in #2. Take a right onto Zig Zag and follow it back to your car.

We hope to get permission in the future to extend the singletrack so you can completely avoid the muddy, crappy atv trail....

Have fun!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jim Mac said:
there's 3 entrances/exits off the fire lane. Go into Pittstown SF and go past the koisk (where a map used to be but it looks like someone busted into it)..
My husband and I are relatively new to the area (averill park) and would love to find the riding in Pittstown. I just have no clue where the fire lane is to which you refer. I do know where the main entrance to the park is off of 2. Can you give more specific directions??? We would also be willing to help with some maintenance, just can't this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can ride from Grafton state park to Pittstown, but to drive to it, you have to take this route, depending on where you're coming from. Here's generic directions from Troy.

Take Route 2 east . At 2/278 junction (at light), take a left onto 278 (by Stewarts) and then take an immediate right onto Tamarack Rd. Follow Tamarack for a while, pass Herrick farms, under some power lines, pass Old Siek Rd and go through a trailer park (sort of). After Victor Lane, make your next right onto Keefe Rd. (Dirt road). Keep following dirt road. At first split, bear right. Follow it into Pittstown State Forest. The sign was knowcked down recently by the road crew who were leveling the road, but you will pass a kiosk on your left. There was a map there, but someone stole it...follow directions listed in other posts on the trails!

·
Horst Linked
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kelly, I live in East Poestenkill, just over the mountain from Averill Park. I'd be happy to show you guys around. Great road rides my way too (on a mtb of course) , lots of hills, not too much traffic. I'm moving a little closer to civilization in June but I'll still be close to Pittstown. Cherry Plains State Park is out your way as well although I've never found anything that great out there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
steve v said:
Kelly, I live in East Poestenkill, just over the mountain from Averill Park. I'd be happy to show you guys around. Great road rides my way too (on a mtb of course) , lots of hills, not too much traffic. I'm moving a little closer to civilization in June but I'll still be close to Pittstown. Cherry Plains State Park is out your way as well although I've never found anything that great out there.
Sounds good. We are dedicated mtn biker's but would love to dust off the road bikes for some local riding. I may be wrong, but it looks as if the road rides around here may be better than the mtn riding??? Anyway, also looking for some buff ST for my almost built SS :) Can't wait to get out!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
-kelly- said:
Sounds good. We are dedicated mtn biker's but would love to dust off the road bikes for some local riding. I may be wrong, but it looks as if the road rides around here may be better than the mtn riding??? Anyway, also looking for some buff ST for my almost built SS :) Can't wait to get out!
Kelly - the Pine Bush Trail network in Albany would be ideal for a Single Speed IMO.

douglas who's posting in this thread can give a guided tour I suspect.

I don't want to speak for him directly, but he is my friend, he's a great guy and he knows the Pine Bush well I believe.

Cheers,

Mark (who used to live in Averill Park but who now resides in Avon, CT)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Many thanks

Jim Mac said:
You can ride from Grafton state park to Pittstown, but to drive to it, you have to take this route, depending on where you're coming from. Here's generic directions from Troy.

Take Route 2 east . At 2/278 junction (at light), take a left onto 278 (by Stewarts) and then take an immediate right onto Tamarack Rd. Follow Tamarack for a while, pass Herrick farms, under some power lines, pass Old Siek Rd and go through a trailer park (sort of). After Victor Lane, make your next right onto Keefe Rd. (Dirt road). Keep following dirt road. At first split, bear right. Follow it into Pittstown State Forest. The sign was knowcked down recently by the road crew who were leveling the road, but you will pass a kiosk on your left. There was a map there, but someone stole it...follow directions listed in other posts on the trails!
I know Tamarac well. I drive it every morning on my way to work in Bennington. I will have to start hitting the trails on my way home form work!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you uase the right gearing, I think that you can ride Pittstown on a SS...I usually only use 2-3 gears when I ride there. I ride with a crew of friends who do it all the time on SS in Pittstown though they also like to torture themselves by occassionally around on their 50 lb dh bikes back there as well...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pittstown updated

Hey, we did a bit of raking, took out some cheater lines and rebuilt/created some fun new lines this past weekend. The trail isn't totally raked out, but the heaviest spots are now cleared (especially in some of the tight chutes). We'll be doing one more trail day ahead...enjoy!

Also, MHCC rides in Grafton/Pittstown start this week. Check the schedule at:
http://webmhcc.org/v-web/portal/cms/index.php

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.