Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to sell the idea of winter fatbiking in a place mountain bikes aren't normally allowed by proposing temporary trails? Essentially establish a groomed base and lightly marked trail through a terrain and close it once the snow melts, to have the trail completely disappear by Spring.

I think this could be a great way to warm people up to the idea of mountain bikes, but also to idea of additional winter recreation and tourism opportunities. And I can see the flexibility in trail layout being a draw for fatbikers as well.

Your thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Interesting and cute idea,but organizations already have enough on there plate and quite frankly just not enough Fat bikers around to justify it,at least in my area.our IMBA BAMBA Chapter out of 125 members there is only one on a Fat bike,not saying it could not work elsewhere.truth is to we had significant snow fall and I demoed a Fat bike on several occasions and found not much of an advantage over my AM bike with 2.5's on it.interest here for Fat bikes is pretty much non existent when some are just happy to hold on and upgrade what they have and or replacing with new a bike they will ride 100% of the time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
robbiexer- have plans underway to do something similar. already have trails in this section of woods I help out with, just got the nod from the LM to allow for grooming of the trails I can readily groom, and piece together temp trail sections to create doable loops. We are quickly losing the snow pack, but 3 weeks ago borrowed a friends sled and ran a few lines. overnight it packed down and firmed up nicely, got out on my Pug, and had a blast... so much so, just purchased a used sled for this purpose. will spend sometime this fall to determine how best to link some of the current trails to each other,, parts of the trails due to terrain or too tight and twisty, won't be able to be groomed by machine.. our LM has given the nod... last year, I was the only one with a fatbike in the area.. now this year we have 6 that I personally know of.. it's going to make next Winter all that more fun...

good luck with your plans.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Our club was approached regarding putting groomed trails on golf courses, like they do with XC ski track setting. We'll look into it for next winter. Fatbiking on existing area singletrack has already taken off, so it may be a "groom it and they will come" situation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
beer thief
4,932 Posts
Seems like a great idea to me. The snowmobile clubs do exactly this and they pull it off pretty well.

Interesting and cute idea,but organizations already have enough on there plate and quite frankly just not enough Fat bikers around to justify it,at least in my area.our IMBA BAMBA Chapter out of 125 members there is only one on a Fat bike,not saying it could not work elsewhere.truth is to we had significant snow fall and I demoed a Fat bike on several occasions and found not much of an advantage over my AM bike with 2.5's on it.interest here for Fat bikes is pretty much non existent when some are just happy to hold on and upgrade what they have and or replacing with new a bike they will ride 100% of the time.
I don't know where you're located but if you get much snow I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before fat bike use increases dramatically. In my area it exploded this year with dozens of people on them (in a small community). I've had one for 8 years and bought a 2nd Pugs this winter for friends to use. There is a huge advantage over 2.5" tires in any semi-soft or marginal conditions.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I admit on snow mobile track there is some advantage on a fatbike but not overwhelmingly significant to justify fatter tires,but when becomes soft and slushy any size tire is a *****,we had over 3' in eastern Pa and put alot of miles on snow packed trails riding my AM bike with 2.5's and had a blast! if had the extra cash to splurge I would consider owning one for more non winter tech riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.