Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to change the rims on my pitch pro, to a set it should hav had in the first place, it being an all mountain bike....

....but can i just swap them for .e.g DT swiss 5.1's, and use my old spokes and hubs?

Rims i have been looking at.....please suggest others if you choose...thanks
Spank oozy
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31076
Spank Subrosa
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29329
5.1's
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10372

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Drops? I would strongly consider that when deciding the right rim. Tubeless? Strength to weight? Have you considered the stans rims? The flow or arch might be good rim choices. I have a pair of DT 4.2d rims and a pair of stans ztr355 rims and like them both.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im in the UK, and havnt seen any LBS's that do stans rims.....

As for my riding, it really is all mountain from some XC to downhill tracks......i saved a lot of cash when buyin a Pitch, it does a lot for the money i paid for it, one of its flaws as i see is the rims, they arent exactly all mountain, so id like to change them.....iam leaning towards the Spank Subrosa in white, just because they will look amazing against my root beer colour frame......although i have not seen any reviews on them, only what has been written in forums on here....

....so if they will fit with my hubs and spokes that i already have?? this will be a good effective mod for very little money......:)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is a site that has a spoke length cacluator. Since you already have hubs it might easier to just cut the spokes, get new ones (stronger, lighter, etc...) then lace them up or find a good shop that will lace them up for you. Nothing like a set of good hand laced wheels.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought it was a big no no for reusing spokes.

as far as compatibility, just make sure it has the same number of spoke holes as your current rim.

Lacing up the wheels will probably increase the price of this upgrade by 50-100%, depending on how much the bike shop charges.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, they are not broken, but like i said earlier in the thread, i saved a lot money buying a Pitch and would like to mod it a little, especially if i can get those Spank subrosa's in white.....

I went in a LBS today and the guy said i would need new spokes....he was charging £15 or $30 per wheel and thats without the spokes....

....any idea what spokes i will need then? because he is going to charge me the earth for the spokes no doubt....thanks...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got a Pitch as well. I plan to ride those wheels until they are trashed. Then I'll buy a complete set from Chainreactioncycles.com. The hubs that come with it aren't that great anyways to justify the cost of a rebuild. I hope to get a season out of them.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Unless you've trashed your current wheels, the expense of rebuilding on the stock crap hubs is kinda' silly.

Ride them until they die. While doing that, save so you can replace the whole wheelset with your setup of choice.

Beefier tires will extend the range of what your current wheel setup can handle, and will be cheaper right now than a whole rebuild of the wheels.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The stock hubs on our bikes aren't all that great, especially the rear deore hub. I second the suggestion to just get a whole new wheel set and sell your current wheels. You can use the chain reaction wheel builder and pick the hubs, spokes and rims you really want.

Sorry, no advice on what spokes or hubs, try the wheel forum, or the all mountain forum. They usually have really good suggestions

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
What they said - it is worth waiting to be able to build a whole new set of wheels, especially if you are going for a bling set that you wouuld like to get some mileage out of. In any event, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to re-use the old spokes when making such a radical rim change. The problem is the length, which needs to be within a mm or so of the exact calculated length. If your new rim is not very close to the old one in internal diameter, then no dice. And then, even if the length is spot on, why take the risk of re-using an old (and possibly fatigued) spoke, when you are trying to GAIN strength with this mod?

As for your choice of rims, I have a pal who runs the Subrosas, very happy with them and he rides hard. Besides that, they do relly look AWESOME in real life.

Personally, I run the Halo Freedom rim on my SL - very sturdy (=bombproof!!!), not very heavy for what it is, and not very expensive. And made in the UK to boot....
I had it laced to the Hope Pro II hub with 2mm Wheelsmith straight guage spokes - very very strong build. And they do come in white...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.