Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pitch Pro 2008 and im really enjoyin riding it, goes well uphill and is awsum comin down.....but recently at a local trail i was spekin to another rider who had setup his bike to suit him....particually refering to his Pike's.....

His Pikes are different to mine i could see and mine are 351's which are not for sale otherwise........

......so what can i do to set the bike to me? with regards to my forks and other ways....

...iam aware that the rear shock (fox rp2) is set to my weight and there is little i can do there, but he had changed the spring in his forks according to his weight and said it feels totally different.....??

I weigh 78kgs

Thanks.....

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
Check the forks sag. Sitting in a neutral position, you should use about 25% of the forks travel. On the 140mm Pike that translates to 35mm. If it sags more that 35mm you'll need a stiffer spring, less than 35mm you'll need to go softer. Based off your weight and Rock Shox recommendation (http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf), you'll need the next stiffer spring. With full gear on you might push yourself into the stiffest spring rate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry if any of this is obvious but here is what you can do.

You can change the air pressure in the RP2 and the rebound.

On the fork you can change the springs and adjust the rebound. The 351 comes with a less complex motion control. My wife has a 351 on her pitch and I swapped the motion control on hers to one from a Reba I am no longer using. If you wanted that adjustability you could buy one of these and swap it.

Good luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just read the response from Hillbilly Hank. Sometimes it is tough to get a spring to feel right for you if you are in the middle of the range. I find myself in this situation so I use air forks. I have a Pike air u-turn and previously had a dual air Reba. I really like the feel I can get from these although it took me a while to get it dialed in. This of course would mean a new fork or totally changing the internals on one side, neither is a cheap option. It would be cool if shops were better about checking you out before you leave and having the possibility of changing springs without being charged.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 351 we have on our pitch's is a specialized only model. I think the only difference is the less complex and fancy motion control damper that DWDW refers to. I changed the oil in mine to a lighter weight because I am a fairly light rider. Also swapped out the spring. I have been playing with the rebound to get it set up more to my preferences.

On the rear shock the rebound seems to make a huge difference (more so than on the pike for me). When I am trying to hit jumps I have the rebound one click from the fastest. Trail riding I have it two or three clicks from the fastest. There is a cool sticky at the top of the shocks and suspension thread that has some good tips for setting rebound.

The more I ride the bike the more I am sold on it and glad I got it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone.....it isnt something iam missing or that iam not happy with, but being new to riding i wanted to know if it could get better, i have adjusted the rebound rate and slowed it up recently.......i think what i will do is check the sag and take i down the same section on all different settings over and over......see if i can get better or worse for me.......once again thanks....

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
On the subject of rebound adjustment, I revert back to my motocross days and set the rebound as fast as possible without it feeling washing out in turns or feeling like its going to pitch me over the back.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hillbilly_hank said:
On the subject of rebound adjustment, I revert back to my motocross days and set the rebound as fast as possible without it feeling washing out in turns or feeling like its going to pitch me over the back.
After looking at the spring or coil weight categories on the Sram link you posted, im thinkin i will have the coil changed to one above or 'blue' I think it was...., my weight is boardering that now and im using all the travel at the minute, or coming very close to it on most descents or drops......i thinking a stiffer coil will pay off big time.......next time i have it serviced i will have it done the same time in my LBS....thanks...

Also can you please elaborate on the what you said regarding 'set the rebound as fast as possible without it feeling washing out in turns or feeling like its going to pitch me over the back'.....on a few occasions when iam entering into a turn my front end has washed out on me (not totally, just a shift and then i have corrected it or gone straight on lol), i automatically thought i have come into fast, bad line, or my stock tyre (spec eskar) isnt upto much or maybe the pressure is wrong.......so i have just put on a Maxxis Minion 2.5 today for more grip........but you mentioning that there, it maybe be something to do with my fork...iam thinkin a fork that is too soft could cause that....etc

·
Registered
401 Posts
You might want to play with the compression damping to help keep the fork stay higher in its travel when hitting corners. Its the blue knob on the top of the fork. It should help prevent the fork from diving.

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
G4VNJ said:
Also can you please elaborate on the what you said regarding 'set the rebound as fast as possible without it feeling washing out in turns or feeling like its going to pitch me over the back'.....on a few occasions when iam entering into a turn my front end has washed out on me (not totally, just a shift and then i have corrected it or gone straight on lol), i automatically thought i have come into fast, bad line, or my stock tyre (spec eskar) isnt upto much or maybe the pressure is wrong.......so i have just put on a Maxxis Minion 2.5 today for more grip........but you mentioning that there, it maybe be something to do with my fork...iam thinkin a fork that is too soft could cause that....etc
Basically when entering a turn at speed, your fork will compress. If your rebound is too fast it will make the fork decompress too fast and make the tire lose traction. So why wouldn't you want the rebound full slow? On fast repeating bumps the fork wouldn't decompress enough to absorb the next bump. This is sometimes referred to as the fork "packing up". So somewhere in between full fast and full slow there is a balance to be found. Too soft on the fork spring can compound the problem of the fork compression/decompression wash out. Tire selection and pressure can play a role in the front end washing out as well. I'd be careful about mounting a 2.5 on the narrowish stock rims on the Pitch. You could be losing contact area with the ground instead of gaining.

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
DWDW said:
You might want to play with the compression damping to help keep the fork stay higher in its travel when hitting corners. Its the blue knob on the top of the fork. It should help prevent the fork from diving.
The Pike 351 that comes on the Pitch Pro doesn't have compression damping adjustment.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong. I thought the 351 had compression damping, but lack the dial that controlled the threshold. Essentially a less complex motion control. Compression damping with no blowoff threshold.

Sorry if I'm wrong and leading you astray.

·
Registered
815 Posts
DWDW said:
Maybe I'm wrong. I thought the 351 had compression damping, but lack the dial that controlled the threshold. Essentially a less complex motion control. Compression damping with no blowoff threshold.

Sorry if I'm wrong and leading you astray.
DWDW is right that the 351 has the motion control damper, but the floodgate. I think the Pike on the comp (327) does not have compression.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You might want to check out Specialized's tech link on their website... It doesn't have the Pitch from what I can see, but there are some excellent videos showing how to set up suspension. If nothing else, they'll give you some ideas on what sorts of things you should be looking for when setting up your rear shock and fork

http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/suspensionsetup/main.html?x=y

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.