Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
421 - 440 of 1358 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm coming back to Specialized after 3 years away. And the bike will be a 2009 Pitch Pro.

Although I didn't like the bike as a "cheap" alternative for the Enduro SL when it came out - for my own reasons I was upset with Specialized back then - now that I saw it in person, I was very impressed with the bike. It seems to be a top quality frame and it really looks like top-end to me and not like a cheap alternative, and despite it being labeled as a small version of the Enduro, I'd say it holds its own league, it looks like a pretty tough bike, more so with the Pike upfront.

As the Pitch seems to get some loving around here, I won't ask how good the bike is, because it really seems nice. But how good is the frame for upgrades, it is well worthy of a better wheelset, brakes, cranks? Also, can I swap the Pike for a Lyrik, can it hold 160mm forks? How does the RP2 holds up to hard riding and on long rides?

Because, since the bike looks so good, my intention is to spec some nice XT cranks, Elixir CR 185/160 (stock are 203/185), Easton Havoc wheelset, Chris King headset, Thonsom stem /Easton bars, a Joplin R and or a Lyrik U-Turn or a TALAS 150 15QR. Too much bling? Is this a bike that should remain simple to stay tough?

Thanks in advance.

·
all your base
352 Posts
Black RONIN said:
But how good is the frame for upgrades, it is well worthy of a better wheelset, brakes, cranks? Also, can I swap the Pike for a Lyrik, can it hold 160mm forks? .
Yes, and I don't even own a Spec atm. Lots of peeps with 36's on this thread (look the business btw), someone on here also had/has a totem lowered to 160 on theirs.

You have probably seen this review, but just in case. They discuss the bike's inherent upgrade-worthiness toward the bottom.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/pitch-pro-09-33625

·
UK Bike Whore
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
Black RONIN

The Pitch frame is fantastic and well worthy of any upgrade you want to throw at it. Take a look at mine for instance the only original parts are the headset, seatpost, seatpost qr, cassette, chain and rear wheel qr. Everything on there is stronger than the original yet I weighed it last night and it is the same weight as when I brought it.

I would get the lyriks over the 32s as they will suit the bike more. The Pitch is more of a rough and tumble bike to the 07-09 Enduro SL's long travel xc bias.

Comparison photos for you.

New

A few weeks ago

And an update now with an LG1+ and a short cage X9. These arnt the best pics as it was dark and the car didn't help matters.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
your bike looks sweet!
what rims are those, and how much do your wheels weigh?? I am considering hope hoops with stan's flow rims, but I wish they used alum nipples and maybe lighter spokes

·
UK Bike Whore
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Thanks.

The rims are Mavic 721s they are heavier than flows but I just wasn't sure if I would trust the flows and its not good not to trust something that integral (and expensive) so I went for the 721s the wheelset is actually lighter than the stock wheels despite the new rims being 21mm wide rather than 17mm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely replace the stock wheelset, but this frame will do DH/FR and still climb, a true all mountain rig! Fork upgraded to a Domain 318 and the frame never complained at all. I did wear out the shock bushings but that was expected from a lot of DHing. But the stock parts handle well, just wish the Pitch Comp had better wheels, and stroker trails instead of the rydes. Such a great bike!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Black Ronin. Yes, the Pitch is upgrade worthy and a stout bike.

Not to deter you, but one one of the other threads around here, somebody posted a 2010 enduro on ebay brand new that sold for $2,400. For that price I would go with the enduro because you already get the lyrik, which is really what the pitch should have come with.

Also the spec warranty manual states the Pitch can be used with a 160mm fork. I love the pike for trail riding, but for jumping and general tom foolery, the 160mm fork is great (when it's not broken, which leads me to the question below)

·
Registered
812 Posts
heylex25 said:
Fork upgraded to a Domain 318 and the frame never complained at all.
Do you really notice the weight of the domain for general trail riding? I am sorely tempted to get one because they are such a good price. But the weight does make me shy away a bit. Any problem lifting the front end over logs and general trail obstacles?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I was looking at the bike today, and it seems like it deserves a better set-up. But Rock Climber's observations about the Lyrik are worth noting. But I'm going for a used Pitch, that has been riden only a couple times, so it is pratically new for half the price of a new Enduro SL Comp. Plus, I'm getting it in the trade of my Cannondale Caffeine F4 plus a few bucks back, so it seems like a pretty good deal. I'll probably get the Pitch and upgrade to a Lyrik soon, but I asked about the TALAS 150 15QR because I have one that was reserved for my Yeti but due warranty issues on the dogbone, it will not be put to use anytime soon so I thought it could be a good fork (it weighs a pound and a half less than the Pike and 2 pounds less than the Lyrik, but of course not as burly).

I'll probably get it by the weekend, but will think a bit more on what to change on the bike. I'm also thinking in getting a higher volume shock or with a pigback like a ISX-4 or 6. How does the RP2 work with the bike? Is the Propedal efficient when it's on? And aren't the double 203mm rotors overkill for the bike? Though of maybe going 185 on the rear or even scale it down to 185 front and 160 rear.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Black RONIN said:
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I was looking at the bike today, and it seems like it deserves a better set-up. But Rock Climber's observations about the Lyrik are worth noting. But I'm going for a used Pitch, that has been riden only a couple times, so it is pratically new for half the price of a new Enduro SL Comp. Plus, I'm getting it in the trade of my Cannondale Caffeine F4 plus a few bucks back, so it seems like a pretty good deal. I'll probably get the Pitch and upgrade to a Lyrik soon, but I asked about the TALAS 150 15QR because I have one that was reserved for my Yeti but due warranty issues on the dogbone, it will not be put to use anytime soon so I thought it could be a good fork (it weighs a pound and a half less than the Pike and 2 pounds less than the Lyrik, but of course not as burly).

I'll probably get it by the weekend, but will think a bit more on what to change on the bike. I'm also thinking in getting a higher volume shock or with a pigback like a ISX-4 or 6. How does the RP2 work with the bike? Is the Propedal efficient when it's on? And aren't the double 203mm rotors overkill for the bike? Though of maybe going 185 on the rear or even scale it down to 185 front and 160 rear.
For the deal you're getting I would say jump on it for sure! As far as the forks go, I have been extremely happy with the pike, the only reason I went to 160 was, for jumps and drops, having the front of the bike that much higher was a good thing. I ride an XL though. I never had any issues with stiffness of the pike and never noticed that it felt overwhelmed, but I am also pretty light. The Talas 150 might be a great fit for the pitch and put the head tube up just a bit.

The Rp2 has been great, I have not felt any need to change it (except trying to get my air pressure sorted out). I have only used propedal a handful of times, usually on the road when riding to my local trail. It makes the shock sit higher and ride stiffer, so I guess it does what it should, but for actual trail climbing I personally haven't felt a need to use it. I am sure that's more a matter of personal preference though.

The stock brake rotors were 203mm in front and 185mm rear so the one you're looking at must have been customized. For me the stock set up seems overkill, I would think 185, 160 should be fine, but I guess it depends on how you are riding the bike.

The best upgrades I have done were wider handlebars and a shorter stem, made a huge difference for me, but again all personal preference.

If you get it, congrats on a killer deal

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
the 150mm talas would be a fantastic fork for this bike. I'm running a talas 36 and mine and for 80% of the riding I do it's most likely overkill. I do like the 20mm through axle and the stiffness of the thick stantions but for climbing and for general trail riding it is truly over kill. Shaving off 1.5lbs off the bike would be welcome. That being the case I'm always doing drops and stuff like that so I prefer the 36. Do you know what the axle to crown is on that talas 150 compared to say a 36 or lyric 160? I'd be intersted to see what your final HT angle would be.

I found the stock pike to be not so great. The inability to control dampening the way I want and not having an adjustable motion control circuit meant that for me either the fork was over damped and would pack down or would be under damped and would be bouncy. this can be remedied by simply adding the non spesh oem pike internals to your pike for minimal cost from some one like push.

As for the rest of the bike there isn't much stock left on my bike except casette and derailleur. I think the most notable uprades for me have been: fork, bars/stem, wheels and brakes.

The RP2 is quite good for this frame. I have since stopped using pro-pedal even for climbing as i find that with it on the bike tends to be stiffer than necessary. I find that the fsr platform is plenty steady enough for hard pedaling.

I will say that the wheels on this bike are terrible. They will work for a bit but really look into getting rid of them ASAP. Mine only lasted about 3 months until I dented them. Changing those out and getting the improved stiffness and rim width really helped not only traction but the composure of the bike through the rough stuff.

Overall enjoy the bike. I feel really confident saying that the pitch is one of the best sub 2500 dollar am bikes out there. You'll love it great bike with plenty of room to develop your skillset.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What I like about the new TALAS is that it seems to be pretty burly for a 1790g fork. Plus it is 10mm longer than the Pike (the Pike has a 20mm Maxle, but it still is a 32 fork), so I'd get a higher BB. I will not use the bike as a Jump-only or FR bike for that matter, but will ride it pretty agressively, so I'd say the same as minimusprime, maybe a Lyrik would be overkill for 90% of my riding, so I guess that either the Pike or the TALAS could hang on just fine for those last 10%. But if I get it, I'll prbably stick with the Pike for a while and then decide if I go for the TALAS or not.

I keep looking at the frame I can't still believe it's a budget frame. Why is that? What is different from an Enduro SL that makes it cheaper? Because all the welds, pivots bearings, links and even the RP2 seems exact the same. Is it the spec? The headset doesn't seem to be near CK quality, and the wheelset is really not par to the bike. Other than that, the bike looks like a top-end Giant Reign. So I wonder what makes it a budget. :rolleyes: :confused:

Just taking a little more of your time here: what about the Specialized stem, handlebar and seatpost for that bike? I'm thinking about going all the way Thomson and Easton, but they seem to really match the bike. Are they any good?

And about the good deal, it actually is a 2008 brown Pitch Pro, not a 2009 as I said. But it still just as new, only a few times ridden on fireroads and a couple on trails, there's not even a pinch on the frame, nothing. Is it still a good deal if the bike is a 2008 model? Checked on the 2009 Pitch Pro and liked the 2008 color more, the brown is just stunning. And I checked the rotors, they are the stock 203/185 on this bike, not 202/203.

Here's pic of the bike at my LBS (sorry for the lame iphone pic):

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't mean to keep posting in this thread but I'm bored and I've had a few beers so wtf.

I think the pitch frame is better than the price would lead you to believe. It's made of thicker (and heavier) aluminum than the enduro. Because of this it tends to be a bit heavier but also burlier feeling. The component set of the oem pitch pro is decent. The cranks aren't great but they are definitely functional. The wheel set blows for sure and as you said it the headset is terrible. It's actually a subcontracted headset that is re badged a cane creek. Either way the component set is good enough to get you rolling and you can upgrade at your discretion. I actually did pretty well uprading my bike by selling the stock components. I found that I was able to unload most of the stock parts for about half hte price of upgarded components (sold the pike for 200, sold the cranks for 50 etc etc). The stock bars and stem are no doubt not great units but I rode on mine doing big time DH stuff at mammoth 3 times in 2009 and had no issues with them. I've since replaced them with 711mm Easton monkey light dh bars and a spesh adjustable proset stem... but the stock units just plain work.

All I can say is that I bought my 08 pitch pro (same color as yours) for 2k out the door with shimano xt m775 brakes (that includes our crazy 9% sales tax). I have swapped just about every part on the bike and I'm still just as stoked on it as the day i got it. It has handled everything I can throw at it including lift accessed days at mammoth and north star and 40 mile epics in socal and it has treated me very very well.

have fun on your new sled!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all, first post here, so please go easy, just wondering what size the rear hubs are on the comps, bit confused with everything out there, and looking at upgrading the wheels as ive just destroyed them coming off a drop off (and my arm!)

·
UK Bike Whore
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Woo Hoo

The last few parts for my build have arrived this morning. Should have the bike completed later on for a test ride tonight.

421 - 440 of 1358 Posts