Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 08 Pitch on my roof rack last night, using the 20mm Yakima adapter and the back wheel barely sits in the tray. I have about two inches of wheel in the tray so I can still clamp down the rear wheel, but it makes me nervous to have the rear end of the bike barely attached.

I am taking it this weekend on a Christmas trip for over 800 miles and wondered if I should find a different way to transport the bike?

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
401 Posts
As long as the rear wheel is securely strapped, I don't think it should be an issue. Is the rear wheel hanging off the back? I used to use a truck mount attached to a roof rack and used an old toe-clip strap to hold the rear wheel to the bare roof rack bar. It worked fine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DWDW said:
As long as the rear wheel is securely strapped, I don't think it should be an issue. Is the rear wheel hanging off the back? I used to use a truck mount attached to a roof rack and used an old toe-clip strap to hold the rear wheel to the bare roof rack bar. It worked fine.
It doesn't hang off, and I can firmly ratchet down the wheel clamp. Just worried me because with my old bike thee was still extra tray behind the rear wheel. With the pitch the tray could use to be about 3 inches longer.

Interesting idea about hanging the wheel off onto the rack. Problem is this is a Honda accord so the rear wheel would be resting on the back window if I did that.

The wheel base on this bike is huge, I have a 6 foot bed on my little pickup and I have to turn the wheel to fit it in the bed.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
OMG, talk about worrying about nothing. It will be OK unless you flip your Accord. This question coming from a person who hangs off of rocks using 1/4" or less little ledges and cracks while attached to a string.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Rock Climber said:
I put my 08 Pitch on my roof rack last night, using the 20mm Yakima adapter and the back wheel barely sits in the tray. I have about two inches of wheel in the tray so I can still clamp down the rear wheel, but it makes me nervous to have the rear end of the bike barely attached.

I am taking it this weekend on a Christmas trip for over 800 miles and wondered if I should find a different way to transport the bike?

Thanks for the advice
My back wheel almost hangs off the rack too, but it's been fine for a year and a half.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My 575 barely fits in the trays with the wide tires and hangs over the front and the back. No problems. As long as you can get it clamped you will be fine.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.