Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
bicycleonthebrain
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i need to have a pit crew for 24 hours of adrenalin or granny gear events??? I did my1st 24 last year at chamberlin ranch last year self supported. finished 2nd in my class and i beleave top 20 overall. i don't want to have to depend on anyone but ME!!! i've been trying to contact them but they haven't returned my emails.:confused: it's alot of money to enter without knowing this

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Nice job on your self supported effort

Its really good that you dont want to depend on anyone but yourself.
But support crews make things a lot easier if you have any family members or friends that are willing to help out.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
vzman said:
Do i need to have a pit crew for 24 hours of adrenalin or granny gear events??? I did my1st 24 last year at chamberlin ranch last year self supported. finished 2nd in my class and i beleave top 20 overall. i don't want to have to depend on anyone but ME!!! i've been trying to contact them but they haven't returned my emails.:confused: it's alot of money to enter without knowing this
Granny Gear does not REQUIRE a pit crew. 24 HOA only requires you to have one at the Worlds (but they don't really check that I know of).

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Don't need a pit crew. If you're racing a supported race it's great to have one though since they can save you time and keep your bikes running if the weather gets nasty. If you want to race unsupported make sure to checkout the Kokopelli Trail race, Grand loop, Rim Ride etc!

·
Registered
385 Posts
vzman said:
The only thing you should make sure of is you have someone to drive you home. You will be far too tired to drive.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think it's awesome that you can try to do it on your own. I always find that spreading out the responsibility of the race between a few people makes it pretty easy. Simple things can and do go wrong like starting a stove to boil water for food. If someone is taking care of that task all you have to worry about is riding. I went to world solo's twice unsupported, it turned out that when the other pits saw that I was alone they pitched in with maintaining my bikes, cooking for me and getting me going when I wanted to sleep. Bikers and their families are the best of the best.

·
Banned
110 Posts
For us its about your safety

vzman said:
Hi Veeze,

As I asked in my return email are you looking as a team or a solo rider? Reading this forum, I have now figured that part out.

Putting aside the fact (as other have mentioned) it makes it easier on you with support for us it simply comes down to your own personal safety. In my 14 years of experience I think it would be wise for all promoters to make it mandatory for solo riders to have at least one pit person on hand at all times. At our races we require the solo riders to have such a person. Too many things can and do go wrong over that period of time. I would also suggest that this person know you personally so when you really need a push to dig deep and continue they are there, but just as important they will pull the plug if need be or just make the race director aware for example you are well over due.

S

·
Registered
789 Posts
Stewart,
I think you should consider making it a suggestion rather than a rule. Adrenalin races are already nearly inaccessible to the average joe because of the fees and by requiring the solo (note: solo) rider to have a pit crew makes it that much farther out of many people’s reach to participate in one of your events.
I’ve only done 2 Adrenaline races in the past and I thought they were well run an I was planning on doing another this summer. I'm sure I can figure out a way to get someone to hang around my tent and act like a pit crew if I thought it was necessary, but it seems like a silly, unenforceable rule that will just complicate things.

·
Banned
110 Posts
pbasinger said:
Stewart,
I think you should consider making it a suggestion rather than a rule. Adrenalin races are already nearly inaccessible to the average joe because of the fees and by requiring the solo (note: solo) rider to have a pit crew makes it that much farther out of many people's reach to participate in one of your events.
I've only done 2 Adrenaline races in the past and I thought they were well run an I was planning on doing another this summer. I'm sure I can figure out a way to get someone to hang around my tent and act like a pit crew if I thought it was necessary, but it seems like a silly, unenforceable rule that will just complicate things.
Hi Peter,

I truly understand your point, however when it comes to the safety of the riders, especially a solo rider I personally will not compromise the safety rules we have put in place. I would rather have fewer solo riders, if it means a safer situation for the solo riders.

S

·
Registered
199 Posts
To be competitive...

twenty4 sports said:
Hi Peter,

I truly understand your point, however when it comes to the safety of the riders, especially a solo rider I personally will not compromise the safety rules we have put in place. I would rather have fewer solo riders, if it means a safer situation for the solo riders.

S
Not to mention, you really need a pit crew to be competitive at the higher levels of solo racing. Look at the setups everyone has these days - general support, mechanics, someone handling food, etc. You'll be at a disadvantage from the start if you show up without a support crew.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Team Green Steve said:
Not to mention, you really need a pit crew to be competitive at the higher levels of solo racing. Look at the setups everyone has these days - general support, mechanics, someone handling food, etc. You'll be at a disadvantage from the start if you show up without a support crew.
For the most part I agree, but to a point. I have my stuff down to a science (almost). Being on a single speed I don't generally need a lot of work . I have a lot of pre-filled bottles, and all my clothing laid out and food handy. My last 24 (other than the Worlds) I didn't really use my support at all and I got third. I was in and out pretty fast, and I look forward to possibly trying to break a personal mileage record at a local 24 (if my schedule works out) unsupported this year.
BUT if you really want to hang with the big dogs support is a must. I would like to see the playing field leveled and have NO support. I've seen where a rider with huge support, multiple bikes, and vast resources can beat a rider with one buddy, a camping chair, and some Tupperware tubs in his pit.
It is what it is, and that's all that it is. Rules is rules.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well, safety is one of those things that is hard to argue with and I respect Adrenaline's decision and believe it is made in the best interest of the competitors, but I do think its unfortunate that the Adrenaline races are becoming more and more just for pros and trust funders. But, I guess it is what it is, and there are plenty of other options if someone doesn‘t like it.

The good thing is, if I end up with enough cash at the end of the summer to attend an Adrenalin race I’ve already lined up a support crew. After bouncing around in the relative safety of a dark, obstacle laden course with a bunch of other sleep deprived folks zipping by on bicycles at high speeds, I’d hate to enter the dangerous pit area alone and without some serious safety net in place so I’ll have this guy there to keep me from choking on bananas or falling asleep in a scalding hot bowl of soup.

And though I think it can help to have a pit crew to be competitive with the big dogs, it is not necessary.

Attachments

·
fight the system
411 Posts
SOLO racing

I'll throw my name in the hat and say if you really have yourself organized you can do very well without a pit crew, even at the highest level but if the weather is bad I'll retract that statement. Cleaning bikes just to make them functional is vital but if its dry and you thought of everything and laid it out in bins in your self run pit area you can be faster because there isn't anyone to talk to each time you come around.

I'm not really sure how rider safety comes into play with a pit team. I remember when 24 hour organizers wouldnt let one person try and ride the whole thing out of safety concerns until John Stamsted signed up for one under 4 of his own names.
Like someone posted already, the drive home is probably more important to have help. I remember when

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
twenty4 sports said:
...for us it simply comes down to your own personal safety.
S
Allow me to paraphrase Stu to help you understand what he really means:

"For us, the more people that enter the venue, the more people that we can potentially separate from their dough. Between parking, souvenirs, and concessions, we stand to make $$$ extra dollars per person. Bring the whole family!"

:rolleyes:

MC

·
Registered
385 Posts
mikesee said:
Allow me to paraphrase Stu to help you understand what he really means:

"For us, the more people that enter the venue, the more people that we can potentially separate from their dough. Between parking, souvenirs, and concessions, we stand to make $$$ extra dollars per person. Bring the whole family!"

:rolleyes:

MC
I did the 24 Hour Worlds in Georgia this year. I had my wife and 2 kids with me. The only souvenirs my kid bought were the FREE stickers they were handing out. There really wasn't much else to get.

I hope we're not going to get into the debate on the cost of adranalin events again. Everyone seems to forget that Granny Gear races are just as expensive, but no one ever bags on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.