Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
29er zealot
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out to Pisgah to go camping for a couple days before Christmas. I have a couple loops in mind I would like to do, If anyone would like to ride along that would be great, any suggestions on a different loop would be cool too.

I've been wanting to do this loop for a while now. About 30 miles with about 7000' of elevation gain.

Was thinking maybe an early AM Dupont ride Christmas Eve, anyone wanna show a brother around? Never been there...

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
If you bring your light there's about 3 of us that usually ride Tuesday and Thursday nights. I know Thursday will be a non- kitchen pass day, but Tuesday night is a posibility. I have been lucky enough to have ridden Dupont enough that I don't have to take a map anymore, but X-mas eve:nono: might be hard to pull off. Just letmeNO

·
29er zealot
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moto,
I'll bring lamps, I'll post up when the time gets near to get a meeting place/time if you dont mind a tag-along.

Matt,
I'll PM you before I leave, the 30 miler is a goal, not a definite, but that route has some easy bailouts if my pansy legs can't keep the singlespeed rolling.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Barry

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
froth14 said:
Was thinking maybe an early AM Dupont ride Christmas Eve, anyone wanna show a brother around? Never been there...
I think I can do the Du on Christmas eve. Needs to be semi early as I have to get back in Asheville later that afternoon to see my son as the head shepherd in the Christmas pageant. Can you meet at 9:00 AM?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Guys,
I am hanging out in Brevard riding both Pisgah & DuPont. I am no local by any stretch. At this point I am interested in riding with youall. I don't do night rides.
I'm an over the hill balding guy that knows when it makes sense to walk something like you're going to find on Black Mtn.
My phone is 509 680 3724. or email me here. I don't know about the PM stuff.
JP Nuts

·
29er zealot
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JP, if you want to ride with me and ridn29s on tuesday that would be cool. I'm not a local either, but have ridden enough around there to know my way around. The loop will be in the 18-20 mile range. I'll call you up to let you know what time I am riding. it will likely be early AM, maybe by about 8 or so. (I am trying to get some fly fishing in that day as well)

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
We could do a 1 hour ride or 5 hours or even more. DuPont is a big trail network with lots of shorter loops. It's easy to add and subtract bits and pieces. 3 hours is fine but once you get rolling you may want to just keep going.

The most popular slickrock area and Burnt mtn trail is at the Corn Mill Shoals parking area. There is also alot of great flowing single track from the Fawn Lake parking area. We can connect the two but there is a wet river crossing that could be trouble if it's icy cold.

If you have never ridden DuPont then we should probably start at Corn Mill Shoals and do the most popular stuff first. Check here for DIRECTIONS

·
Registered
671 Posts
I went up Black Mtn to Hickory Knob yesterday and it was nasty wet the whole way. There's no place for more water to go - finally. The leaf cover has become a nice mushy slick layer on top of the wet ground. Lots of spinning tires uphill and slip-slidin downhill. Monday might finally bring some sunshine and a bit of drying let's hope. Otherwise prepare for mud on Tuesday :thumbsup:

·
29er zealot
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, here are ride/meeting time plans. Everything is tenative and weather dependent, I'll post up if anything changes

Monday
10:30 AM Main Ranger station parking lot on 276
Planned Route- 276>477>Buckhorn>5058>Black Mountain>Thrift Cove>Grassy Road>Sycamore Cove>276> (Break or Bail) 477>Bennet Gap>477>276
Looks to be about 25 miles or so, maybe 5k of climbing.

Tuesday
8:00 AM Camping area on the Davidson River out 475 beyond Cove Creek.
Planned Route-475>Long Branch>Butter Gap>Cat Gap>Hatchery>475>475B>225>Cove Creek>Daniel Ridge Connector>Daniel Ridge>
Maybe about 16 or so miles, less climbing, maybe 4k.
Wednesday
9:00 AM Corn Mill Shoals parking area at Dupont
Planned Route Mystery route, wherever Maida would like to lead.

I'll be sleeping in the back of my black Xterra, and riding a Soma Juice 29er. ALL are welcome, pace will be whatever pace we can go and have fun at! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Today I hooked up w/ 2 guys from Asheville and we rode up Bennetts over to Club gap and end to end Black mtn. Some slipping & sliding, the nastiest is on old road bed at bottom of Black mtn. Forecast calls for sun on Monday.
JP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.