Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goal of finishing next year's PMBAR.

I know that's a long way off ;) .

I preparation I am doing longer and longer back country rides where I will need to filter/purify water.

Questions to you PMBAR and Double Dare vets out there:

What filter/purifyer do you use?

Do I need to be concerned about virals or just protazoa and bacteria?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Focus on the regional changes on the trail-ios. Then, research the horsie-ios, bacter-ios, protaz-oas, brad-os and burrit-os. You'll be set by May.

:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dirt Surfer:

My partner and I used his water filter. I want to say it was an MSR filter, maybe a sweetwater. Not sure, but it was a well known name brand and it worked well for us. Some of the groups used iodine to save weight. They seemed to fare well too.

I would say you'd be safe with either iodine or a good water filter. Other than that just be prepared to ride/push for a long time. Stubborness is a wonderful trait for those races.

Dan

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
We used a PUR Hiker. Light and fast pump. I strapped it into the bottle cage so the bike carried it and was easy to get to. Just plugged it into the hose of my Camelbak(after removing the bite valve). That way we didn't even have to take our packs off. Iodine is slow and tastes bad. Plus you have to scoop your water which demands a bigger source(the filter just needs a small hole for its "peanut" pickup thats no bigger then a couple inches wide and 1 inch deep. use a leaf on the bottom to stop the silt from being stirred up in such cases).

·
slakDawg
469 Posts
I just used one of these

Store the filter in a ziplock baggie in the pack. Used the bottle as I would a regular water bottle with drink mix. When it was time for a refill, chugged the remaining mix, filled the pack bladder, then filled the bottle up from the pack to make another mix. Overall weight gain is minimal as the filter is small and doesn't weigh much. The negative is that it is a somewhat slow process to fill a 100oz bladder as you fill the bottle, put in the filter and squeeze the water thru into the bladder. Takes a couple of iterations, but the weight/space savings are worth it since I only used it one time this past PMBAR.

Big plus was the flip-top lid. Especially this past PMBAR with the nasty conditions. Flip the lid and drink from a clean spout without worry of the muck.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
It was a MSR Sweetwater that Dkline and myself used at the Double Dare and PMBAR this year. I like the sweetwater because it pumps on both the push and pull stroke - you can fill a bladder in about 3 minutes. Even though it is bulky I carry it on every long ride. Running out of water can ruin a ride so I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it ;) .

I would be concered about virals as well. The sweetwater comes with some drops that you add to the filtered water for complete protection. I carry the drops in a visine bottle to save on space.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,690 Posts
I carry the Pur (katadyn?) Hiker on almost every ride. It's not the fastest pump but is simple and reliable. I've seen the hinges on the articulated arm filters blow out, rendering them useless. The Hiker is a simple push-pull pump which is easy to use. I find simplicity to be crucial when I'm all bonking-out...

·
Registered
141 Posts
MSR Waterworks - Better filter. Better durability. More dollars. More weight.
Katadyn Hiker - Decent durability. Less expensive refill cartridges. Less weight and money.
Sweetwater - Best price. Lowest durability, but still very servicible. Best selling.
Bottle style filters - Cheap price. Very hard to draw water through them.
Iodine pills or chlorine drops - Light, cheap, taste like sh*$t...need to wait 20 minutes before drinking.
MSR Miox - Uses iodized salt...very light, very pricey...still need to wait before drinking.
Steripen - Super small and light. Uses UV light and is instant in it's effectiveness (90 seconds)...$100

Jay C
www.blackdome.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts