Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everybody! Pisgah Productions is proud to announce the Pisgah Monster-Cross Challenge!

The Pisgah Monster-Cross Challenge will be held on September 15, 2012 and will be the first event of it's kind in the area. Riders will be challenged to complete a 70 mile loop of gravel and paved roads. The riders will be treated to some of the highest elevation and most scenic sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway AND over 40 miles of the toughest and most treacherous gravel roads Pisgah has to offer. There will be two fully stocked aid stations along the way and food at the end. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Asheville Humane Society.

Registration is only $50 so register soon. The Pisgah Monster Cross Challenge is likely to sell out very quickly.

There are two ways to register: go-greenevents and active.

go-greenevents:
http://go-greenevents.com/event
/id/680

active:
Pisgah Monster-Cross Challenge | Pisgah Forest, North Carolina 28768 | Saturday, September 15, 2012

The route:
From Black Mountain Trailhead (PMBAR start/finish)->276->477->276->1206->5000->Blue Ridge Parkway->215->Indian Creek->Shoal Creek->475->276.

Pisgah Productions

Attachments

·
Bix Pender
188 Posts
".....and will be the first event of it's kind in the area."

You probably are referring to the Asheville/Pisgah Forest area, but there is the Three Peaks USA race at Beech Mountain, which I would consider in the area. Sounds like a good race though.

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
".....and will be the first event of it's kind in the area."

You probably are referring to the Asheville/Pisgah Forest area, but there is the Three Peaks USA race at Beech Mountain, which I would consider in the area. Sounds like a good race though.
Banner Elk is 100 miles away from Brevard, but yeah, I see your point.

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Views!

Hey Everybody! I rode a little over half of the PMCC course yesterday. Here are some of the magnificent views from the route:

Attachments

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Who's been training?

I just rode my "cross bike" from the Pink Beds down to Brevard on the rim because I suck at changing flats. PHEAR!

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
monstuh cross

Mr. Bucket and I rode the course on Saturday. He rode his Specialized MTB hardtail, and I rode my "cross" bike. The "cross" bike had air in the rear tire this time though, so that was a plus.

Highlights included seeing a bald eagle right by Sycamore Flats, dropping a pack of roadies on the parkway, descending 215 in the pouring rain, me whining about the gravel braking bumps, Mr. Bucket spending a few hours speaking only in quotations from pop song lyrics, and totally ruining the "training" potential of our ride by immediately segueing into beers at Pisgah Tavern.

As far as equipment, I recommend a late model dual-sport with a minimum of 400cc displacement. Whatever tires you can fit on that will probably be fine.

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump!

Hey Everybody! Thanks for the excellent registration numbers. If you're thinking of joining in on the fun you'd better register soon. Oh and you get this sweet patch if you do! (actual size 4.5"x4")

Eric

Attachments

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Was asked if there were going to be special passes for the back row area where the "guys change clothes". Mumm, I'm thinking a donation concept.

·
Pirate Race Productions
150 Posts
Hope everyone had fun today!

Next dose of suffering is only a week away at Three Peaks USA, the 4th race in the American UltraCross Championship Series AND the final stop in the Capo Cycling King of Pain Series.

Entry fee gets you 51 miles and 10,000' of riding, a wine glass, post-race meal, and all the Blowing Rock Ale you can drink (there is also a 37 mile "Half" with merely 5,600' of climbing).

A bunch of hotels in Beech Mountain are offering discounted rates for the race, too.

Check out Three Peaks USA | America's Hardest Cyclocross Race for all the detail, or head over to the Facebook page for equipment advice or smack talk.

Hope to see you at the Banner Elk Winery and Villa on the 23rd,

stack

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Everybody! Thanks to all the racers who participated in the 2012 Pisgah Monster Cross Challenge. We will have full results soon but for now we are proud to announce the top three in each division:

Men:
1. Garth Prosser 4:00:17
2. Issac Enderline 4:03:10
3. Brian Rogers 4:09:25

Women
1. Carey Lowery 4:49:09
2. Brenda Frantz Simril 5:02:33
3. Cynthia Fowler 5:19:16

Single Speed
1. Kelly Klett 4:28:39
2. Aaron Pyle 4:45:06
3. Mark Sackett 4:48:57