Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to visit the Pisgah area this upcoming week and am wondering how conditions may be. NJ is too snowy and I'm looking to get some workouts in. Let me know. Thanks!

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
You'll be looking at some mud in spots but you should be fine.

I've been out there twice in the last week or so and everything I rode was fine with the exception of the top of long branch and the section of black mountain below thrift cove. Both were quite muddy.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Saturday, Pisgah was like riding in a rain forrest. Foggy, cloudy and everything was wet. It was sprinkling rain at11am.On top of Blk.mtn it was like pea soup, we left and when we got to Asheville it was sunny.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yes, yesterday morning Pisgah was in fine form - and by "fine" I mean, showing its typical colors - wet, foggy, misty, soupy in the low areas. My Cat-Long-Butter ride was the definition of a slog. Cove was similar, though not quite as bad. The rocks were the stickiest surfaces out there.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Yesterday, we did Farlow Gap > Daniel Ridge and it was def slick. This morning's rain I'm sure made everything soaked. We're looking at just hitting some FS roads this afternoon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did a few Headly's runs in the AM yesterday.....a little slick. Went to Beehive in the afternoon...Absolute BUTTAH. Raiders after that....even better than Beehive. I'm a little biased though. I enjoy that place even more when it's wet and tech. Ya better be run'n soft compound tires!

·
Registered
454 Posts
bikeridr** said:
Sloppy sloppy, especially around the fish hatchery but hey, at least the trails were open. :thumbsup:
ummm... aside from seasonal trails which are closed to bikes from April 15 to October 15, the FS does not close trails due to rain here. They leave it up to the users to decide which trails to use given the conditions. There are plenty of trails that stay drier and see far less use than the trails around the Hatchery. Think about it next time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I went up Black to Pressley Gap today. It had dried a lot since I was there on Monday but it was still muddy in spots. Up on the ridge it was very nice, even a trace of snow past Hickory Knob. The rain guages reported nearly 3" at Daniel Ridge during the week so I think the hatchery side of the forest will be very muddy throughout the weekend (and more rain is forcast for tomorrow). I'm going to stick to the high-ground and try Black/Avery or Laurel/Pilot on Sunday.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Dupont would be another good option. Laurel and Pilot are probably pretty good. Trace and Spencer gap would be another good ride. Rode parts of Bent Creek this afternoon and it was not too bad if you knew which trails to stay on.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
gtdrew said:
Dupont would be another good option. Laurel and Pilot are probably pretty good. Trace and Spencer gap would be another good ride. Rode parts of Bent Creek this afternoon and it was not too bad if you knew which trails to stay on.
DuPont is actually quite sloppy in many places. Lots of rain, and we had a little snow this week to add to the mess. Please avoid Airstrip if at all possible as it is the most fragile right now. Reasonover was also sloppy in many places when I rode it on Sat.

Burnt Mtn was in good shape last I rode it, as was Big Rock/Cedar Mountain and Ridgeline.

We all need to be respectful at this time of year.

Woody

·
Registered
163 Posts
Friday afternoon, Laurel Mountain/Pilot Rock was excellent - a few icy spots on the rocks on the way up, but no mud or wetness otherwise. The short and shaded Laurel connector had some snow on it, which was neat. Pilot Cove -- Slate Rock trail was good too. Today (Saturday the 10th), Butter Gap was a little muddy... dry enough for you to want to go fast but watch out for slick spots that come up suddenly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.