Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get your chain greased up and your tires inflated, PAS is having a ride on July 8th. As you may have heard, PAS is taking the responsibility for trail maintenance on part of the Squirrel Gap Trail. Many of you know it well, but others may not have had the opportunity to ride this gem in the heart of Pisgah. Here's the plan: We meet at the entrance to Turkeypen Rd. on Highway 280 at 9:30AM on Saturday July 8th. After seeing how many vehicles we need to return shuttle, we'll take bikes off and drive those cars to the parking lot at the base of Black Mtn Tr by the Ranger station, and go back to Turkeypen. The ride route drops us down to S. Mills River, over the bridge, and left on S. Mills River Tr. Take a right on Mullinax up to Squirrel Gap Trail. We will ride it in it's entirety until it reaches S. Mills River Tr. again and take a right. We proceed until we take a left on Buckhorn Tr. and head to Buckhorn Gap. At that point, we will access the group and have the option of bailing out down Clawhammer and back to the cars, or going left on Black Mtn. for that special sauce to top it all off. You will need water and food for 3.5- 6hrs, depending upon who is riding. We will take time to look at things we can do for trailwork projects as we ride. Let me know if you're interested. You don't have to be a PAS member to come along, so don't let that hold you back. We have discussed cooking out afterwards at my house which is 3 mi. from Turkeypen. Let me know so I can make plans!

Mark Allmond
[email protected]

·
Registered
864 Posts
My favorite ride..

Unfortunately my wife has me going out of town to stay a couple nites at a friends house on Watauga Lake....if i can weasel out then ill see ya there for the ride ....if i can make it then the drink-out afterwards wouldnt be possible for me...
If anyone hasnt done this then you really should jump on the oppurtunity to be guided...

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I'll be there IF my old lady will let me get outta the house for that long. We have a new born baby so things are kinda hectic. I'm not a member but I should probably join. Is there a sign up fee? How much? If I make it for the ride I'll bring my cash and you guys can sign me on the spot. That is if you'll have me.

This is the ride I did with Thad and Gabe and many others at the Fall Gathering last year. Many people bonked around the river crossing on South Mills River. Then it got real cold and we had to cut it short and missed out on the crazy black mtn decent. For those that don't know the area this is 20 miles of fun with no crazy climbs. Squirrel gap is not steep but has lots of tight off camber sections with roots that keeps you on your toes. The climb to buckthorn gap is surprisingly easy. There are some very techy parts on the black mtn decent where you could easily wreck your neck. But you have the option of bailing out and going down clawhammer. Actually since your very high on the mtn there are lots of options on how to get down and back to the ranger station. Should be an awesome time.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Count me in. I believe I discovered they have hidden "fountain of youth" ingredients in Harris Tweeter's oatmeal. If my Monday ride was an indication, this trip will prove it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might need some of that oatmeal, considering how I felt on my Sunday ride. Be sure to drink about 3X as much water as you normally do on Friday. Eat that oatmeal with some protein and fat on the side Sat about 1.5 hrs before the ride. You'll have a good time.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
OD- just confirming me and K both coming, I think there will be some others...
I rode Squirrel Sunday, be ready for overgrowth, off-camber roots and rocks, and fun fun fun.
At one point, we came around a corner and there were two guys standing on the trail looking at a bike about 10 feet off trail. They yelled at us to keep moving, yellowjackets. I stopped before them and checked on 'em, one of the guys had flown off trail with the bike and landed dead smack on a nest. They were standing there trying to figure out how to get the bike back. Ouch.
Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yipeee--Yipeee

:D
I got out of the "out-a-town" plans .....
So i guess you will just have to put up with me on a 24/20er.........
Now if we can just get Gabe to weasel out of his Saturday duties...come on Gabe,the work will be there on Sunday

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it possible to join you if I'm leaving from Raleigh early that morning? I'm not sure how long the drive will take, but I'd love to do this ride. I'm coming out to ride regardless but this sounds good. Let me know asap with a reply, or email me at [email protected] and we can arrange a phone call to discuss the details. I have only been in NC for a year but I spent the last fifteen plus years riding and racing in Eastern PA, so I think I should be able to keep up.
Hope to hear from you.
-Jim

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Stranix:

Well since it's a shuttle ride and we will have to move some cars to the ranger station and then get all those drivers back to Turkeypen I'm sure we won't actualy start riding until some time after the meeting time of 9:30. Maybe 10:30? Don't know and I'm not the person in charge so anything I say is not at all offcial. Do you think you would be there at 10:30? It's maybe 5 hours from Raleigh. That would have you leaving your house at 5:30 AM. And you would not have time to secure a campsite until much later in the day. Do you have a reservation? From what I've heard the spots fill up very fast on the weekends.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Anyone interested in a loop?

I'm probably joining y'all for the Squirril to Black Mountain but I'm thinking about heading back to Turkey Pen via Turkey Pen Gap trail. No shuttle. Anyone interested in joining me?

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Anybody want to buy a house in Bent Creek?

Gabe is serious - not gettting a "D-I-V-O-R-C-E Becomes Final Today" moment.

:eek:

New MTBr Forum: mtbrrealestate.comeon

At least - start a new thread G.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.