Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, I have done many rides on the west side of town. I don’t live over there, but every member of a riding group I tag up with does. The last few times we have ridden PIR, I keep getting a vision of a far superior trail system than what lies there today. I was going to try to post a visual of what I was thinking, but the Google Earth Images of this area suck, so I will do my best to describe it.

As you are heading south on the long loop and climbing up the wash, you then turn right (west) and there is a small flat area where we all typically regroup just before hitting one of the more technical little sections (for that trail) with a few switchbacks. It is in this area that I always find myself examining the scenery and imagining a much better trail. If you stop at this spot and look around, you will notice that the entire park area is enclosed by a huge bowl. Near the top of the main wash climb, there is a spine where one could start a perimeter trail that climbs up the bowl, similar to 8 or 1A in the T100 area. There is so much mountain and space being unused in that area, that it is a shame there isn’t better trails in this area already.

Someone could easily improve on this area, and continue to improve on this area to offer more aggressive XC, AM, and even potentially DH type trails. This park just seems to me to be unfinished. It is clearly not as exciting as the other west side trails like FINS or the other Trail That is Not Spoken Here. Anyone in MTBR world familiar with the history of this park and why there have been no efforts to improve on all this untouched landscape. I know that there are members here that know a lot more than I do for what it takes to perform this type of task, so I figured I would ask. What does one have to do to try to petition the MCP&R to improve on this trail system? Why has it been left so boring? Anyone else think it could be so much better? I’m just thinking out loud, but maybe this is the ground work necessary to motivate me to try to improve this area.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Pynis McDermott said:
Over the years, I have done many rides on the west side of town. I don't live over there, but every member of a riding group I tag up with does. The last few times we have ridden PIR, I keep getting a vision of a far superior trail system than what lies there today. I was going to try to post a visual of what I was thinking, but the Google Earth Images of this area suck, so I will do my best to describe it.

As you are heading south on the long loop and climbing up the wash, you then turn right (west) and there is a small flat area where we all typically regroup just before hitting one of the more technical little sections (for that trail) with a few switchbacks. It is in this area that I always find myself examining the scenery and imagining a much better trail. If you stop at this spot and look around, you will notice that the entire park area is enclosed by a huge bowl. Near the top of the main wash climb, there is a spine where one could start a perimeter trail that climbs up the bowl, similar to 8 or 1A in the T100 area. There is so much mountain and space being unused in that area, that it is a shame there isn't better trails in this area already.

Someone could easily improve on this area, and continue to improve on this area to offer more aggressive XC, AM, and even potentially DH type trails. This park just seems to me to be unfinished. It is clearly not as exciting as the other west side trails like FINS or the other Trail That is Not Spoken Here. Anyone in MTBR world familiar with the history of this park and why there have been no efforts to improve on all this untouched landscape. I know that there are members here that know a lot more than I do for what it takes to perform this type of task, so I figured I would ask. What does one have to do to try to petition the MCP&R to improve on this trail system? Why has it been left so boring? Anyone else think it could be so much better? I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe this is the ground work necessary to motivate me to try to improve this area.
When you say PIR, are you referring to the Estrella?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Specifically the perimeter bowl that surrounds the southern border of the long loop on the competitive track. I am looking at topo maps right now to try to illustrate what I have in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.