Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got a Sirius rolling. My build thread is here: Am I Sirius about SS or is it just a Pipedream?

Build Kit

• Sirius S5 frame in silver [Long size]
  • 140mm MRP Ribbon Coil
  • Hope hubs + Velocity Blunt 35 wheels
  • Maxxis DXF/DHR 29 x 2.6" tires with a Tannus Tubeless insert in the rear
  • Shimano Deore 4 piston brakes 200mm/180mm rotors
  • 30T x 22T SS drivetrain
  • RF Next R 170mm cranks
  • RF Chester pedals
  • I9 35mm stem
  • Ergotec 780 x 70mm rise bars with Ergon grips
  • 9point8 150mm dropper
  • WTB Pure saddle
  • RRP front fender
  • Mudhugger rear fender
  • Rock Bros frame bags
  • PDW DT splash guard
  • Fabric bottle
Any other Sirius owners out there? If so post up your rigs. 🤘 🤘 🤘

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a Sirius S5 around the same time you did, October 11th. This thing is awesome. I had been wanting to try a hardtail for a while. My prior ride was a Santa Cruz Blur V3, with a 120mm fork upfront. I pretty much moved over all the components from the Blur except the crank, which I replaced with a new one in order to go from 175mm to 170mm. I also dropped my stem size from 50mm on the Blur to 35mm for the Sirius (after a couple rides on the 50mm) which was definitely warranted, as well as moving an additional spacer from above to below the stem to up the stack just a bit.

Here is it with gears (yes the seat clamp is backwards in these pics...):

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

After a week with gears I decided to go single speed:
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire

My lunch ride happens to have a decent amount of vertical so I am getting started with a 32 oval up front with a 22T rear cog. There are a couple grades I can't yet get up with out walking but I think I'll get there soon.

The gears are headed to a Moxie which came in the same box :cool:, and is still packed up. slowly acquiring the parts for that build, may try mullet on the Moxie.

I am loving this bike and have been super impressed with the quality of this frame, and with the folks at Pipedream, great to work with.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a Sirius S5 around the same time you did, October 11th. This thing is awesome. I had been wanting to try a hardtail for a while.

I am loving this bike and have been super impressed with the quality of this frame, and with the folks at Pipedream, great to work with.
Right on. Sweet looking build and I applaud the SS setup. 🤘 🤘 🤘

That's great you also got a Moxie. That will be an amazing combo. Enjoy them and keeping posting your thought as you use the bikes here. 👌

·
Registered
103 Posts
@vikb your 70mm rise bars on top of being over forked definitely draws some attention (not to mention those badass fenders!), have you always run high rise bars? What do you like about all that rise? Do you find that climbing and flat corners suffer at all?

I'm asking as I've been experimenting with stack height and will probably end up getting a bar with more rise. My bar is pretty flat with only 10mm rise, as it came off a XC bike (my prior bars before these were flat with no rise) and I am running a 120mm fork on the Sirius. A common comment you'll see about this frame when folks read over the geometry chart is the stack seems really low. I started out with 10mm under a 50mm stem but that bothered my neck and shoulders after just one ride. I quickly went to 15mm under a 35mm stem and this seemed to resolve the discomfort issue.

However it still seemed low, as in a little more difficult to pull up over obstacles while climbing than it should be. I am now running it with all my spacers (total of 25mm) under the 35mm stem and its better. I noticed its much more comfortable on the descents as well, which I like. The only detracting aspect has been that on the first ride I noticed a little less front wheel traction on flat corners and a slight lift / wheelie effect when climbing the steeps. Second ride I think I started compensating for this via body position and its fine. Reach of course is shrinking up a bit too.

So I think I should go for more rise on the handle bars and keep these 10mm bars for the Moxie which has a stack of 642 vs 586 (roughly 55mm higher!). Coming from 10mm, 35mm seems like a lot, but I think I may give that a shot and just move the 10 or 15 mm of spacers back to above the stem to recover some reach but still end up with a slightly higher stack height to what I have now.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@vikb your 70mm rise bars on top of being over forked definitely draws some attention (not to mention those badass fenders!), have you always run high rise bars? What do you like about all that rise? Do you find that climbing and flat corners suffer at all?
I've been raising my bars a bit at a time over the years as I got older [I'm closing in on 53!]. I'm roughly shooting for the bar level with the saddle, but once the fork sags on a HT that means it'll be a significant amount lower. To date I have not found any downside to high bars. I've been riding the same techy steep Coastal BC trails for a decade so I have a good benchmark. I'm not any slower and I am not missing a beat on tech climbs or descents. The high bars work great on jumps and drops...at least as far as a chubby middle aged dude pushes things.

We don't have a lot of high speed flat corners here so I can't comment on that specifically, but I have no issues weighting the front wheel to make turns on slippery surfaces like wooden features or mud or slimy rocks. Similarly I have no issues getting up steep climbs. The front end does not want to pop up on the Sirius. Pipedream would probably put me on a Longer frame for my 5'11" height and I am happy on the Long.

My advice would be to give it a try. A set of high rise bars are not crazy expensive and you can always sell them again if you don't like them without losing a ton of $$. My thought is that if I am comfortable I'll ride more. If I ride more my skills and fitness will be better. So high bars leads to higher performance...for me. So far that's been true.

I was just out riding the Sirius this morning and if I could raise the bars another 25mm I'd do it! 🤘 :geek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been raising my bars a bit at a time over the years as I got older [I'm closing in on 53!]. I'm roughly shooting for the bar level with the saddle, but once the fork sags on a HT that means it'll be a significant amount lower. To date I have not found any downside to high bars. I've been riding the same techy steep Coastal BC trails for a decade so I have a good benchmark. I'm not any slower and I am not missing a beat on tech climbs or descents. The high bars works great on jumps and drops...at least as far as a chubby middle aged dude pushes things.

We don't have a lot of high speed flat corners here so I can't comment on that specifically, but I have no issues weighting the front wheel to make turns on slippery surfaces like wooden features or mud or slimy rocks. Similarly I have no issues getting up steep climbs. The front end does not want to pop up on the Sirius. Pipedream would probably put me on a Longer frame for my 5'11" height and I am happy on the Long.

My advice would be to give it a try. A set of high rise bars are not crazy expensive and you can always sell them again if you don't like them without losing a ton of $$. My thought is that if I am comfortable I'll ride more. If I ride more my skills and fitness will be better. So high bars leads to higher performance...for me. So far that's been true.

I was just out riding the Sirius this morning and if I could raise the bars another 25mm I'd do it! 🤘 :geek:
Nice! Thanks for the follow up. I think I am definitely going to give those 35mm bars a shot. I am 5'10" and also on a "long" frame. I will report back once I get them in and mounted!

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you just use a 140mm fork to get some stack. Considering the seat angle is quite steep.
The Sirius' Stack with a 120mm fork is 586mm so with a 140mm fork it'll be something like ~600mm. If that's the sort of Stack you are looking for then sure using a 140mm fork will get you there. I want to be higher than 660mm so that alone won't cut it, but it does help.

Keep in mind Stack on a hardtail is going to be much lower at sag than a FS bike with the same fork on it so that's something to consider.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

When I first built up this bike I wasn't sure how I would feel about the Ribbon Coil. Partially due to the 140mm travel being a lot more than the 120mm design spec of the frame and also because putting a relatively burly coil fork on the front of a trail hardtail seemed like an odd match. I'm at ~200kms of trail riding now and I have to say the Ribbon is turning out to be a sweet fork on this bike. Overforking hasn't been an issue at all for how the bike handles on the trail and I like the higher Stack as discussed elsewhere.

I've been riding this bike relatively hard given its design intent and I'm generally only using 90-100mm of travel each ride. However, I have had the Ramp Control feature set at maximum. I've just set the RC at minimum for this next ride and I'll use it like that for a while. Then I'll try setting it in the middle of the adjustment range. I am running the green [medium] spring in the fork. I do have a softer and a firmer spring to try should that seem like a good idea.

If I ignore the o-ring on the stanchion and just focus on ride feel the fork feels great. It doesn't dive into its travel too easily keeping the front end high, but it does provide excellent front wheel traction on slippery surfaces like the many roots and wooden features on my local trails. My weak spot is my arms in terms of what gets abused riding MTBs so a harsh fork would be a big problem for me and I'd notice it right away. The Ribbon Coil feels like it's working well on the trail.

I'll be interested to see how adjust the Ramp Control setting changes travel use and fork feel. :geek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks vikb. Interesting to hear a rider who has experimented with over forking their Sirius. I'm also interested if you noticed the head angle much or if you didn't (because maybe you threw the 140 on straight up without riding a 120mm first)
I see the Pipedreams geo chart measurements are quoted at 120mm fork sagged at 25%.
So they quote a 65 degree HTA.
I'm guessing 64 with the 140mm fork assuming like for like A2C's.
And I'm guessing the BB rises a small amount which might actually give the option of mulleting this bike (running 160/165 cranks) : getting the benefit of a smaller rear wheel and less pedal strikes.
Seems like this bike could be quite versatile.

I'm trying to pull the trigger on a HT,
The Pipedream seems to have the ideal geo numbers that I want, but 120mm may not be enough for where I ride, but the moxie too much.
So 140mm would be my sweet spot with some suspension travel insurance when I need it.
The other bike that's come to my attention was The nordest bardino 3, but it's like the moxie at 160mm and dropping travel changes those geo figures to the other end which I don't want.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks vikb. Interesting to hear a rider who has experimented with over forking their Sirius. I'm also interested if you noticed the head angle much or if you didn't (because maybe you threw the 140 on straight up without riding a 120mm first)
I see the Pipedreams geo chart measurements are quoted at 120mm fork sagged at 25%.
So they quote a 65 degree HTA.
I'm guessing 64 with the 140mm fork assuming like for like A2C's.
And I'm guessing the BB rises a small amount which might actually give the option of mulleting this bike (running 160/165 cranks) : getting the benefit of a smaller rear wheel and less pedal strikes.
Seems like this bike could be quite versatile.

I'm trying to pull the trigger on a HT,
The Pipedream seems to have the ideal geo numbers that I want, but 120mm may not be enough for where I ride, but the moxie too much.
So 140mm would be my sweet spot with some suspension travel insurance when I need it.
The other bike that's come to my attention was The nordest bardino 3, but it's like the moxie at 160mm and dropping travel changes those geo figures to the other end which I don't want.
When I first rode the 140mm fork around my neighbourhood it felt slack and a bit floppy. I thought I'd be swapping in a 120mm fork later. However, once I hit the dirt the fork felt great after a couple minutes and I haven't thought about it since and I have no plans to change it.

The static BBH is 335mm on my setup. I wasn't sure if that would feel too high, but it feels just fine on the trail. Definitely no pedal strikes.

I've been riding the Sirius as hard and fast as I can imagine riding a HT [regardless of fork travel/HTA] so I can recommend it for more aggressive riding. I came off a 160mm Cotic BFeMAX that was a solid bike, but I didn't fall in love with it. The Sirius is on paper a smaller/less capable bike, but it works so well for me I am charging stuff I wouldn't have felt as confident on with the Cotic. That's no slam on the Cotic. It's a fine machine and works amazing for some people...just not me.

I considered the Moxie, but I prefer the overforked geo of the Sirius to the right-forked geo on the Moxie [I don't like steep STAs] and I like a nice flexible frame that provides nice ride feel and climbs great. The Moxie has a stiffer frame and I wasn't sure how much stiffer so I figured best to err on the side of more flexible. Anyway no regrets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So just to follow up, I got the 35mm bars in and took them out for my lunch ride today. They are awesome! I took my smallest spacer (probably 5mm) and moved it above the stem, but otherwise went from 10mm rise to 35mm. Its way easier to lift the front end on technical climbs and the bike seemed rowdier/more capable on the downhills. Also cornering leverage was better but that is likely the difference in width (going from 760mm to 800mm). Also seemed more compliant on the rock garden chatter (they are the One Up ones that have an anisotropic layup -- stiff steering but flex vertically). Definitely digging the new bars!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello! I am in the process of building mine. I hope to receive the wheels this week and put the hands on it. I love the silver colour, but there was no longer in stock, so I took “blue marine” one, is nice too.

I am 179cm height, 5’10” as you say in USA. It is a “longer”, I think that is the right choice for my style of riding.

I’ll post comments once I ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have decided to purchase the Sirius S5 frame

Anyone with similar height as me (172cm)(5.64 ft) with and 82cm inseam?

Cant decide between the Longish or Long,I cant really compare to what I'm riding now as its outdated geo.
I appreciate your help

Cheers

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have decided to purchase the Sirius S5 frame

Anyone with similar height as me (172cm)(5.64 ft) with and 82cm inseam?

Cant decide between the Longish or Long,I cant really compare to what I'm riding now as its outdated geo.
I appreciate your help

Cheers
I'd consider 32 inseam as "long legs" so at 5'6" you must have a short torso. To me a longish makes more sense, but Steve at HardTail Party YT channel reviewed both a longish and long and he preferred the long. I have the longish at 5'6" with 29 or 30 inseam and I think it fits well.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts