Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
formantjim said:
As you can see I have used the front glass of an MR11 bulb as the protection and cover for any optics I choose to use.
That's a brilliant idea. I have a couple MR-11 Ledil triple optics I'll be building lights with this winter, and I was wondering if I should cover them to keep them from getting scuffed up from the inevitable flying mud and debris.

JZ

·
Registered
109 Posts
Finally after waiting over 3 months my parcel arrived from Cutter with my MCE,BOOM medium reflector and ripple wide 20mm Carclo optic.

Using a Maxflex 2 driver it was a simple matter of getting another copper plug making pilot holes for the cable to go through and another for a couple of self tapping screws to attach the series wired MCE star PCB.

Because the front of the Pipe Light is a threaded coupling it allows for easy changeability of the reflector or optic to suit. As you can see I have used the front glass of an MR11 bulb as the protection and cover for any optics I choose to use.

The Boom reflector gives the best coverage for use as a handle bar light. I will take a series of beam shots when I have learned how to use the camera and post them in "Lord Trouties" thread. I have also used an old flashlight reflector but it has a bit of a hotspot.
I really would like to get a 35mm optic so it fills the end of the Pipe Light probably from Deal Xtreme.

One thing I notice compared to the Quad R2 Pipe Light is the MCE runs a lot hotter but the protection circuit has yet to shut it down when stationary and when on the move it is warm to the touch. I'm currently running the MCE at 600mA from a 7.2V Lithium 4400mA/Hr pack and should get nearly 3 hours of decent light.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
JimZinVT said:
That's a brilliant idea. I have a couple MR-11 Ledil triple optics I'll be building lights with this winter, and I was wondering if I should cover them to keep them from getting scuffed up from the inevitable flying mud and debris.

JZ
Jim I dont think many folk bother with an extra glass over the mr11 optics .
as long as the water cant get to the light .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.