Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I thought that was worthy news. The company must've been Evil?
News should be beneficial to the reader. I'm not a bike shop owner, nor am I in law enforcement, so it has no benefit to me.

Sensationalism, voyeurism, call it what you will, but it's just a sign that Outside has taken control.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this kind of news brings me no satisfaction.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, me and some friends were partying at my house while my parents were on vacation :rolleyes: . We e were playing "leave it to beaver", the idea is you drink every time Beaver's name is said. When the show was over, the news came on, it was hysterical, there was this beautiful blond woman talking about death and destruction with smile on her face. We all laughed at the irony, but I came away with a life message: News is not new or beneficial, it's generally old and not beneficial.

I gave up TV and have not watched it since.

Fill your life with joy and happiness, be positive, make lemons into lemonade, and your life will be better for it.

I'm a mental health provider and I support this message :)

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
News should be beneficial to the reader. I'm not a bike shop owner, nor am I in law enforcement, so it has no benefit to me.

Sensationalism, voyeurism, call it what you will, but it's just a sign that Outside has taken control.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this kind of news brings me no satisfaction.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, me and some friends were partying at my house while my parents were on vacation :rolleyes: . We e were playing "leave it to beaver", the idea is you drink every time Beaver's name is said. When the show was over, the news came on, it was hysterical, there was this beautiful blond woman talking about death and destruction with smile on her face. We all laughed at the irony, but I came away with a life message: News is not new or beneficial, it's generally old and not beneficial.

I gave up TV and have not watched it since.

Fill your life with joy and happiness, be positive, make lemons into lemonade, and your life will be better for it.

I'm a mental health provider and I support this message :)
Dude, you need to chill

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Dude, you need to chill
I'm actually pretty chill, I ride a lot, I eat well, I have a really fulfilling job that allows me to work with people, I have a long happy marriage, my kids are doing well, and we all get along.

I suppose I get frustrated with the state of the world, not unlike many people.

In my life I have witnessed some great happiness and some profound sadness, humans have such amazing potential, yet we waste it on consuming stuff and worrying about nonsense (this thread?).

If we are what we eat, both materially and socially, what are we becoming?

But yeah, Pinkbike is just a stoppid internet site, who cares, it'll fade away someday to be replaced by something else.

I have decided that when I'm really old and I'm no longer able to work, and my body gives up the ghost, and I have to retire from adrenalin sports, I need to have a little patch of grass so I can say:

Hey you kids, come sit on my lawn and I'll tell you a story :)

So Nat, I'm curious, how old are you?

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
I'm actually pretty chill, I ride a lot, I eat well, I have a really fulfilling job that allows me to work with people, I have a long happy marriage, my kids are doing well, and we all get along.

I suppose I get frustrated with the state of the world, not unlike many people.

In my life I have witnessed some great happiness and some profound sadness, humans have such amazing potential, yet we waste it on consuming stuff and worrying about nonsense (this thread?).

If we are what we eat, both materially and socially, what are we becoming?

But yeah, Pinkbike is just a stoppid internet site, who cares, it'll fade away someday to be replaced by something else.

I have decided that when I'm really old and I'm no longer able to work, and my body gives up the ghost, and I have to retire from adrenalin sports, I need to have a little patch of grass so I can say:

Hey you kids, come sit on my lawn and I'll tell you a story :)

So Nat, I'm curious, how old are you?
I'll have to take your word for it because several of your recent posts seemed pretty intolerant and cranky, for example the Pinkbike article above and the thread in which you disapproved of other people using car analogies.

I'm 54. You?

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I'll have to take your word for it because several of your recent posts seemed pretty intolerant and cranky, for example the Pinkbike article above and the thread in which you disapproved of other people using car analogies.

I'm 54. You?
56, we're like twins :)

I wouldn't read too much into what people post, it's nearly impossible to understand the context without being there and knowing them.

Car analogy? Hmmm, I have a vague memory of something relating to suspension tuning ... edit I just remembered what you're talking about. Yeah, people shouldn't use motos or cars to discuss mountain biking, it's silly and generally not relevant, get off topic fast. I was just being pissy to make a point :)

As for PB, I'm saddened by the demise of things I like, for the most part I liked Pinkbike the way it was, now it's changing and I don't like it.

I will admit to a pet peeve that Outside has triggered since they purchased PB: Sensationalizing bad news.

I'm a mental health provider, I'm constantly reminded of the affects of negative thinking/experience on humans. The past couple years have really brought this to heights not seen in my lifetime.

Outside magazine is capitalizing on a human frailty for $$, and I find this disgusting.

So I'll vote with my feet, it's not like I'm so important that Outside magazine will change their marketing strategy for me.

If they put up a paywall then it'll be easy to say bye.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Go ride :)

·
Pro Crastinator
11,728 Posts
As for PB, I'm saddened by the demise of things I like, for the most part I liked Pinkbike the way it was, now it's changing and I don't like it.

I will admit to a pet peeve that Outside has triggered since they purchased PB: Sensationalizing bad news.

I'm a mental health provider, I'm constantly reminded of the affects of negative thinking/experience on humans. The past couple years have really brought this to heights not seen in my lifetime.

Outside magazine is capitalizing on a human frailty for $$, and I find this disgusting.

<snip>

If they put up a paywall then it'll be easy to say bye.
you cite moral issues as the root of the PB evil, but you'll only stop going there if they make you pay? some morals...

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
you cite moral issues as the root of the PB evil, but you'll only stop going there if they make you pay? some morals...
I’ve already started limiting my time on PB, but if they had a paywall I won’t be there at all., if they don’t add a paywall then I’ll gradually go to the site less over time.

It’s interesting that you chose to make a personal attack, was that necessary?

121 - 134 of 134 Posts