Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,141 Posts
Pinkbike, the Outside Edition, is for marketing products, pure and simple.

Yeah, you’ll get reviews, but not the fringe stuff and certainly not the small players who can’t/won’t pay to play.

Eff PB.
Ironically, that's the stuff I WOULD pay to see. I would gladly pay for content that DIDN'T include big brands that pay to have their bikes reviewed.

I strongly dislike that all the reviews are focused on the big brands, they're always included, and I couldn't care less. It would be MUCH more interesting to read about a comparison of smaller brands only. Kona, Canfield, Transition, Norco, Intense, Devinci, Banshee, GG, Rocky Mountain, etc.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Ironically, that's the stuff I WOULD pay to see. I would gladly pay for content that DIDN'T include big brands that pay to have their bikes reviewed.

I strongly dislike that all the reviews are focused on the big brands, they're always included, and I couldn't care less. It would be MUCH more interesting to read about a comparison of smaller brands only. Kona, Canfield, Transition, Norco, Intense, Devinci, Banshee, GG, Rocky Mountain, etc.
I actually think they do a pretty good job covering a wide spectrum of brands. In fact, I think they’ve done reviews on almost every one of brands you listed in the last year or so (other than maybe Canfield. The others I can recall though).

Off the top of my head their enduro field test this year had the transition spire and Norco range, and We Are One arrival this year. The only “big” Brand bike they had was the GT Force.

The year before that it was the Rocky Mountain altitude, Propain Spindrift, Norco shore, and the big brand bike was the Santa Cruz Nomad. So both of those were 75% “small brand” representation right?

The value bike field test was Davinci, Polygon, Canyon, and… Norco?

The trail bike one included specialized, salsa, that handmade German brand whose name escapes me… and I think giant.

The downcountry field test they did was… Revel, Kona, Trek, and Specialized right? So that was half big brands?

Do I wish their field tests (the only real comparison reviews they do) was larger, like enduro-mtb, yes. But they do a pretty good job getting a good cross section imo.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
I've noticed that the different media channels review the same bike on the same day, which leads me to believe that it's dependent upon the bike manufacturer providing their bikes to everyone to review, and that there's a designated release date. If a smaller company can't provide their bikes to the journalists then the journalists can't review it, right? So doesn't it make sense that we're likely to read more about bikes from the bigger brands?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,141 Posts
I've noticed that the different media channels review the same bike on the same day, which leads me to believe that it's dependent upon the bike manufacturer providing their bikes to the everyone to review, and that there's a designated release date. If a smaller company can't provide their bikes to the journalists then the journalists can't review it, right? So doesn't it make sense that we're likely to read more about bikes from the bigger brands?
Yes, most new bikes from big brands are embargoed. Then on the release date multiple media sources will all release their reviews on the same day.

For sure this is not an ideal situation for a comparison test with a variety of brands. Better to compare bikes that are already available, not new.

·
Bipolar roller
1,470 Posts
The most recent advertisement banner on Pinkbike has nothing to do with bikes. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I knew the takeover by Outside was going to change things, but I did not think it would come so quickly. My time with Pinkbike is over. I'm very depressed about this, and as stupid as it sounds, having an existential crisis because of it.

I have written this post because I need somewhere to learn of all the new bikes and components that isn't owned by outside, and because I have no meaning in my life if I don't know about every new inovation in the MTB community.
You’re in the wrong place.
Current banner on MTBR is for Cal Ranch Stores which has nothing to do with bikes.
Current banner on PB is for winter riding shoes.

Also, quality information or news about mountain bike on MTBR is all but worthless. MTBR seems to be ok for basic user generated info on Fat Bikes, Single Speed and Vintage Retro bikes as well as memes and off topic discussions. However, the user base on MTBR is primarily grumpy, old white men. PB has a very active, much younger and way more diverse user base with a lot more liveliness, energy and positivity.

PB has a lot of different types of content related to mtb that is fresh daily from articles, videos, interviews, reporting on races, events and shows, pod cast and even a reality show. The comment section alone shows how relevant and influential pink bike is to the sport of mountain biking. Comments on MTBR make it look like the website is shutting down soon.

Whether you like it or not, mountain bike manufacturers have and are looking to pink bike to help shape future mountain bike designs while MTBR is a great place for grumpy old men (like me) to complain about things changing.

Product Font Screenshot Material property Software

Property Product Font Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

this is the nature of reviews though. they are marketing ads that do highlight features but are nearly never honest or impartial. when is the last time you have seen someone say boy last years was better on any car, any bike, any speaker, anything? still thinking ? so am i. i'll say i greatly prefer the 2016-2018 bronson frame over 2019+ why? it's shorter and you can fit an X2 dhx2 or push on it. the new ones limit you on the shock which is where the suspension is really made. no reviewer in the world would promote that idea though and would talk up the slightly improved leverage ratios on the newer frame. they push the newest gear and keep the cycle of consuming going. bike stuff generally gets better the newer it is but it's not a universal truth and none of the reviewers i have seen really speak frankly. they simply promote and talk up whatever the newest model is and push people into their purchase. want another example? frames and bikes in general are getting heavier to shrink warranty claims. one really good new bike, the revel rascal is heavy as hell. 7lb 11oz in a medium. that's 2lbs over a race weight 130 frame. why? probably because it's strong as hell and will never crack like some of the ultra lights such as the 2017-2019 trek fuel ex which is one of the lightest 130 frames ever made at barely over 5lbs. the small brands are unlikely to get a fair honest review as they would A: have to provide their bike to someone and B: that someone would never get another one if they issue a negative review. the single best thing i believe anyone can do is rent a potential bike for an entire day and ride trails they know well. this lets you adjust and tune the suspension along the way, try various terrain and see what you really enjoy

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Its called pink bike, not pink ads. Are you reading pinkbike for the content or for the ads? I barely look at the ads. If you ask me which ads I have seen there I can't tell.

If they need to diversify to get more ad revenue, then it's the right thing for them. They definitely do need more money with all the new hires and content that they produce.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've noticed that the different media channels review the same bike on the same day, which leads me to believe that it's dependent upon the bike manufacturer providing their bikes to everyone to review, and that there's a designated release date. If a smaller company can't provide their bikes to the journalists then the journalists can't review it, right? So doesn't it make sense that we're likely to read more about bikes from the bigger brands?
They can review the bikes any time they want. If a bike is released today, nothing stops you from reviewing it a month or two late. It's not like the whole MTB world is sitting with credit cards ready to press the buy button at midnight when the bike is released.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
They can review the bikes any time they want. If a bike is released today, nothing stops you from reviewing it a month or two late. It's not like the whole MTB world is sitting with credit cards ready to press the buy button at midnight when the bike is released.
But they can’t review it earlier than the embargo date, right?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,141 Posts
But they can’t review it earlier than the embargo date, right?
They will often get the bike weeks to months before the embargo date so that when the time is up the article is written and ready to publish. All they have to do then is make it live, all the work is done.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
They will often get the bike weeks to months before the embargo date so that when the time is up the article is written and ready to publish. All they have to do then is make it live, all the work is done.
And back to my original point: the manufacturer has to provide the bikes to the journalists to review. Bigger brands are more able to afford to do that, which is why we read more reviews of big brand bikes than of boutique bikes.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,138 Posts
didn't really think this would affect me

but it do

haven't consciously decided anything about pinkbike, but ...what do you know I haven't surfed there in weeks
just no desire or care to check out anything 'pinkbike'
not even Fridays fails...don't care anymore.

Reactions: Nurse Ben

·
One ring to mash them all
3,543 Posts
With that, I recall probably the funniest, and most entertaining thread on NorCal was the time some kid had a college project to name his retail business, and he posted a pic of a blank building for "ideas" from the users. That... Poor.. Kid...
This one?

That might be the most entertaining thread in MTBR history that didn't devolve into a lockdown (e.g., "Jeep Bike," "Map of the Whole Forest," "Bunny-Hopping Toddlers"). Too bad a lot of the image links are broken. And IIRC, the OP and his/her professor LOVED it.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts