Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,325 Posts
Facebook is aging too. It's where us older folks go. You don't often see too many people younger than 30 on there.
I am pretty sure I was in my twenties when I joined facebook.... I also had a very active presence on Myspace in the early 2000's..... yikes.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
I am part of some facebook groups, specifically local MTB ones just to keep tabs of local happenings, but they suck. You cant search posts and moderation is up to each group owner. I got booted from one group with no warning and no explanation. I still dont know why that happened. There is no accountability on those FB groups.
Luckily my local Facebook mtb trail group page is highly active and functional. Lots of the members who regularly contribute know one another outside of biking (e.g., we frequent each others' place of business, teach our kids, see each other at soccer, etc.) so it tends to be pretty civil. It seems as if the crass comments are from members who don't actually live in this town so they don't really have community ties.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A lot of truth in this. But there is a much stronger sense of community on forums. MTBR is still very active compared to many other forums. I am a member at another site owned by vertical scope, it is a yamaha star bike forum and it is very active. I am also on a Yamaha fz1 forum that is a ghost town, but it used to be really hoping 5 years ago.

I am part of some facebook groups, specifically local MTB ones just to keep tabs of local happenings, but they suck. You cant search posts and moderation is up to each group owner. I got booted from one group with no warning and no explanation. I still dont know why that happened. There is no accountability on those FB groups.
I find the same thing to be true. Tried to use FB for groups a few times but didn't like it. OK for local stuff to keep up with what's going on but I search for stuff all the time on forums. So much useful information in the archives

·
Registered
87 Posts
The most recent advertisement banner on Pinkbike has nothing to do with bikes. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I knew the takeover by Outside was going to change things, but I did not think it would come so quickly. My time with Pinkbike is over. I'm very depressed about this, and as stupid as it sounds, having an existential crisis because of it.

I have written this post because I need somewhere to learn of all the new bikes and components that isn't owned by outside, and because I have no meaning in my life if I don't know about every new inovation in the MTB community.
I really enjoy nsmb.com for their articles. Check those guys out.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Geocities was a thing way back when, but I keep hearing how Facebook Marketplace is really good. I had a few accounts over the years but I never got into Facebook, from the looks of things it seems heavy Facebook users are easily influenced, especially in the last 1.5-2 years. From the people I know, and the people I know who are heavy facebook users, seems to be totally the case that they are easily influenced.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,325 Posts
Geocities was a thing way back when, but I keep hearing how Facebook Marketplace is really good. I had a few accounts over the years but I never got into Facebook, from the looks of things it seems heavy Facebook users are easily influenced, especially in the last 1.5-2 years. From the people I know, and the people I know who are heavy facebook users, seems to be totally the case that they are easily influenced.
These days I use facebook mostly for the marketplace tool. I have sold a few items on it and it is easy to use.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,325 Posts
Luckily my local Facebook mtb trail group page is highly active and functional. Lots of the members who regularly contribute know one another outside of biking (e.g., we frequent each others' place of business, teach our kids, see each other at soccer, etc.) so it tends to be pretty civil. It seems as if the crass comments are from members who don't actually live in this town so they don't really have community ties.
Yeah I am actually an admin of one of the local facebook groups that is dedicated to getting better access and doing trail work for the trail system nearest my house. I know many of the people on that one in person from advocacy meetings or trail work days.

·
No Fear
1,264 Posts
I used PB as a photo server..........

i had around 7K personal photos which i trashed around 2.4K of them............for some reasons like many of them contained too much personal info .....And as a shop owner here in my country i didnt want those personal info to be accessible publicly

You know in PB you cant delete any photos you can only put them in the trash folder.......

Also i had around 4K ( 4 thousand ) photos about the technical stuff & the photos of my goods i sold in the shop which i transferred all of them to my personal website in the past few years............

So of a total of around 11K photos............now i left only 5K of them viewable on the site.....

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,664 Posts
Facebook is aging too. It's where us older folks go. You don't often see too many people younger than 30 on there.
So that makes MTBr for us old timers in their 50+ range, and FB in the 30+ range. I always thought PB was for youngsters but based on my teenager everything is Discord or (puke) TikTok. 🤮

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
So that makes MTBr for us old timers in their 50+ range, and FB in the 30+ range. I always thought PB was for youngsters but based on my teenager everything is Discord or (puke) TikTok. 🤮
That checks out.

My teen says she and her friends mostly use Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram, and Twitter.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I used PB as a photo server..........

i had around 7K personal photos which i trashed around 2.4K of them............for some reasons like many of them contained too much personal info .....And as a shop owner here in my country i didnt want those personal info to be accessible publicly

You know in PB you cant delete any photos you can only put them in the trash folder.......

Also i had around 4K ( 4 thousand ) photos about the technical stuff & the photos of my goods i sold in the shop which i transferred all of them to my personal website in the past few years............

So of a total of around 11K photos............now i left only 5K of them viewable on the site.....

As pinkbike announced the new management I did manage to delete all my photos - when you are in the trash area there was some option to get rid of it.

Had to be done on the desktop version of the site though - pretty sure the mobile version I couldn't. Then I deleted my account.

·
No Fear
1,264 Posts
As pinkbike announced the new management I did manage to delete all my photos - when you are in the trash area there was some option to get rid of it.

Had to be done on the desktop version of the site though - pretty sure the mobile version I couldn't. Then I deleted my account.
I have never used the mobile version of it actually i use my phone only for Telegram and whatsapp and only when needed ill browse anything with the phone......

but i still couldnt see anything as a delete option or button.....

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I have never used the mobile version of it actually i use my phone only for Telegram and whatsapp and only when needed ill browse anything with the phone......

but i still couldnt see anything as a delete option or button.....
I know it was in there - was really buried somewhere - no longer have an account so I can't go digging again. Maybe the new owners removed it? Pretty sure it was a drop down menu or something when viewing trash stuff?

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
My space snd face book, are these like dating apps?

I find it harder to troll these days … I suppose it’s because we’re all trolls now.

Pinkbike, the Outside Edition, is for marketing products, pure and simple.

Yeah, you’ll get reviews, but not the fringe stuff and certainly not the small players who can’t/won’t pay to play.

Eff PB.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts