Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· :\ ping of death
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats with the occassional pinkbike bashing? Ill admit theyre a bunch of morons but is that the only reason for teh hate? :confused:

Just saw these shirts...perdy.



 

· I wanna talk to Samson!
Joined
·
3,297 Posts
Pinkbike isn't totally bad, I really enjoy reading articles by Acadian and some of the other guys that run the site, plus the buy sell section is ok, despite the fact that every time you post something on there some 12 year old offers to trade for his {insert POS bike or bike part here}. The people on the pinkbike forums are just super mislead and not the most knowledgeable, and the maturity level is on the floor.... not that this place is very much better and that I don't participate in the downfall of the intraweb.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
I have ventured over to pinkbike recently and found the content to be better than here at mtbr. This forum used to be good, back before the switch was made to the new forum style. Seems like all kinds of crap came along with the change. At least mtbr has the product reviews and passion forum which are excellent!
 

· Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
WheelieMan said:
I have ventured over to pinkbike recently and found the content to be better than here at mtbr. This forum used to be good, back before the switch was made to the new forum style. Seems like all kinds of crap came along with the change. At least mtbr has the product reviews and passion forum which are excellent!
What I got in the mail yesterday....

Yes, cameraphone's suck.
 

Attachments

· NorCal slum bum
Joined
·
52 Posts
konabiker said:
Pinkbike isn't totally bad, I really enjoy reading articles by Acadian and some of the other guys that run the site, plus the buy sell section is ok, despite the fact that every time you post something on there some 12 year old offers to trade for his {insert POS bike or bike part here}. The people on the pinkbike forums are just super mislead and not the most knowledgeable, and the maturity level is on the floor.... not that this place is very much better and that I don't participate in the downfall of the intraweb.
you know not everybody on the PB forums are mislead, just those grom *** kids
 

· I do small drops.
Joined
·
215 Posts
Pinkbike has free ads, and if you can sort the real buyers and sellers from scammers, it's a much better place to sell and advertise. Sometimes they load up free videos and film teasers, but that hasn't happened much lately. mtbr reviews are cool stuff, and I'm not even gonna touch the maturity of the forums... ;)
 

· brooklyn bike rider
Joined
·
508 Posts
WheelieMan said:
I have ventured over to pinkbike recently and found the content to be better than here at mtbr. This forum used to be good, back before the switch was made to the new forum style. Seems like all kinds of crap came along with the change. At least mtbr has the product reviews and passion forum which are excellent!
no offense, but i have to agree with wheelieman that mtbr forums (well at least dh/fr)
has gone way down in quality of content since the new forum style was activated.
perhaps the dh/fr forum (being so goddamn big) needs its own subforums.
like one bike related and one nbr/****-talking.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Clearly this is true, mosplat. I'm not sure if it's related to the new format though, or if it was just an inevitability. The shame is that a lot of the better posters are posting less and less frequently. Because of this, I find myself coming here much less frequently (I know this is true for others as well), and when I do post, it is usually just an assanine comment on how ridiculous a post or thread is. There's just too much stupid crap drowning out anything worth talking about or debating. Don't get me wrong, there still a bunch of guys like zachdank posting great pics and whatnot, but it's just getting very diluted.

I don't think that splitting the forums up would solve anything, the crap would flow back to the bike-related boards eventually. I think it's more about MTBR just being bigger hardasses for a while to weed out the idiots. If idiots aren't given the opportunity to spread their crap, maybe they'll just get bored and leave. I guess doing this would be very labour intensive though, so maybe it's a moot point.

Oh well, I'm tired and cranky....l8r
 

· Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
Shibby said:
Clearly this is true, mosplat. I'm not sure if it's related to the new format though, or if it was just an inevitability. The shame is that a lot of the better posters are posting less and less frequently. Because of this, I find myself coming here much less frequently (I know this is true for others as well), and when I do post, it is usually just an assanine comment on how ridiculous a post or thread is. There's just too much stupid crap drowning out anything worth talking about or debating. Don't get me wrong, there still a bunch of guys like zachdank posting great pics and whatnot, but it's just getting very diluted.

I don't think that splitting the forums up would solve anything, the crap would flow back to the bike-related boards eventually. I think it's more about MTBR just being bigger hardasses for a while to weed out the idiots. If idiots aren't given the opportunity to spread their crap, maybe they'll just get bored and leave. I guess doing this would be very labour intensive though, so maybe it's a moot point.

Oh well, I'm tired and cranky....l8r
I agree, but I don't think its related to the format switch.
 

· brooklyn bike rider
Joined
·
508 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I agree, but I don't think its related to the format switch.
that may very well be true.
the format switch is more a time marker,
because shortly after we definitely saw a decline.

i guess we just have to try harder to bring the quality back up to a higher level.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
Shibby said:
Clearly this is true, mosplat. I'm not sure if it's related to the new format though, or if it was just an inevitability. The shame is that a lot of the better posters are posting less and less frequently. Because of this, I find myself coming here much less frequently (I know this is true for others as well), and when I do post, it is usually just an assanine comment on how ridiculous a post or thread is. There's just too much stupid crap drowning out anything worth talking about or debating. Don't get me wrong, there still a bunch of guys like zachdank posting great pics and whatnot, but it's just getting very diluted.

I don't think that splitting the forums up would solve anything, the crap would flow back to the bike-related boards eventually. I think it's more about MTBR just being bigger hardasses for a while to weed out the idiots. If idiots aren't given the opportunity to spread their crap, maybe they'll just get bored and leave. I guess doing this would be very labour intensive though, so maybe it's a moot point.

Oh well, I'm tired and cranky....l8r
THUMBUP
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Agree.

bikescars101 said:
Pinkbike has free ads, and if you can sort the real buyers and sellers from scammers, it's a much better place to sell and advertise. Sometimes they load up free videos and film teasers, but that hasn't happened much lately. mtbr reviews are cool stuff, and I'm not even gonna touch the maturity of the forums... ;)
Pinkbike has got mtbr beat hands down for the buy and sell section. More selection and a better setup for selling things. Not to mention that it is free to put in an ad. I like the stories on the pinkbike layout that you can scroll through.

However, mtbr destroys pinkbike for the diversity and structure of the discussions forums. There is always interesting threads on mtbr unlike pinkbike where you can check out the site and come back 6months later and the same old "Does Bender rule or suck" thread is still kicking.

There is a huge grom factor on pinkbike, which is not such a bad thing but for the most part mtbr is more of a mature platform for discussions. Note that I said for the most part.
 

· hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
agree.

Shibby said:
Clearly this is true, mosplat. I'm not sure if it's related to the new format though, or if it was just an inevitability. The shame is that a lot of the better posters are posting less and less frequently. Because of this, I find myself coming here much less frequently (I know this is true for others as well), and when I do post, it is usually just an assanine comment on how ridiculous a post or thread is. There's just too much stupid crap drowning out anything worth talking about or debating. Don't get me wrong, there still a bunch of guys like zachdank posting great pics and whatnot, but it's just getting very diluted.

I don't think that splitting the forums up would solve anything, the crap would flow back to the bike-related boards eventually. I think it's more about MTBR just being bigger hardasses for a while to weed out the idiots. If idiots aren't given the opportunity to spread their crap, maybe they'll just get bored and leave. I guess doing this would be very labour intensive though, so maybe it's a moot point.

Oh well, I'm tired and cranky....l8r
 

· Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Pink bike used to be good, years ago. When the guys that started the site were posting a lot and putting up a lot of videos, it was a great site. But then it happened.

Same thing here. You can say the forum switch only marks a place in time, around which the change occured, but I think it certainly played a role in the decline. The older style was pretty unique, at least to mt bike forums. And I think a lot of the "older" posters like it that way. It was kind of their thing.

When the forum switched over to the new format, it became much more like all the other mt bike forums in appearance and ease of use. I think the ignorant, dogmatic posters felt right at home with the new format. So at home, in fact, that they just continued to post turd and spout off things that they heard from some guy's friend.

With the old style, as simple as it was, there was still a bit of a learning curve when coming here from pink bike. I honestly feel that kept a lot of the slackers out of here. And when the switch came, it opened up the doors, and they came.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
The best part about PinkBike is that its based in Calgary, so their buy and sell has more canadian content than MTBR. Which being is good for me... There is just something about a $140 Fedex brokerage fee that snaps my shorts!!! I usually get things shipped USPS, but every now an then I really want something and they only ship UPS or Fedex...

When they were first starting up the website I ran into Radik and the boys down in Fernie doing what they do best...
 

· M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
konabiker said:
Pinkbike isn't totally bad, I really enjoy reading articles by Acadian and some of the other guys that run the site, plus the buy sell section is ok, despite the fact that every time you post something on there some 12 year old offers to trade for his {insert POS bike or bike part here}. The people on the pinkbike forums are just super mislead and not the most knowledgeable, and the maturity level is on the floor.... not that this place is very much better and that I don't participate in the downfall of the intraweb.
thanks G - really appreciate the props!

Many people think we do this full time, but we all have day jobs. I for one do if pro bono and on my own time. My day job already consumes 50 to 70 of my hours every week. Funny thing, I enjoy the Pinkbike work much more than my high tech job; which is eating me inside out! Stress does really bad things to your health - but I need to pay the bills and bike bits somehow. ;)

I agree that the reputation of the forums have been somewhat tarnished by some groms - but I think, just like here, there is still some good useful information being shared there. Just got to weed through the dumb posts, like on any other MTB forum.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top