Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Quasi said:
Nice. But most people here probably were in diapers when that album came out.
So? I was in diapers when it came out. But it's still one of my favorite albums. In fact, I've got it right here at work so I'm gonna go listen to it.

I'd wear the Jersey if someone wants to buy it for me.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
tlg said:
So? I was in diapers when it came out. But it's still one of my favorite albums. In fact, I've got it right here at work so I'm gonna go listen to it.

I'd wear the Jersey if someone wants to buy it for me.
If Dark Side is your fave, you are still Pink Floyd neophyte! :D :p

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Pink floyd the band and the music is insane. I think DSOTM is one of the greatest rock albums in the history of mankind. To me its music for mad men. Can I ask an honest question? Is the music of pink floyd designed to trip people out? I was not even born when they where making albums, I got into them because of a certain pastime pleasure and they seem to compliment each other quite well. More so then most "trippy" music. I don't want to fall into a cliche' but, after watching the wizard of oz with the volume turned down and THE ORIGINAL release of DSOTM playing (starting the album right when the mgm lion roars the second time) ABSOLUTELY tripped me out. The same crazy thing happens when you watch THE WALL with certain hallucinogens. Is that the point of their music? to trip you out? :confused: :cool:

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
SMOKEY said:
Pink floyd the band and the music is insane. I think DSOTM is one of the greatest rock albums in the history of mankind. To me its music for mad men. Can I ask an honest question? Is the music of pink floyd designed to trip people out? I was not even born when they where making albums, I got into them because of a certain pastime pleasure and they seem to compliment each other quite well. More so then most "trippy" music. I don't want to fall into a cliche' but, after watching the wizard of oz with the volume turned down and THE ORIGINAL release of DSOTM playing (starting the album right when the mgm lion roars the second time) ABSOLUTELY tripped me out. The same crazy thing happens when you watch THE WALL with certain hallucinogens. Is that the point of their music? to trip you out? :confused: :cool:
It was not designed to trip u out. These were decent people making good fun loving music..

Ur kidding right? it was the 60's man ....those guys r still coming down from all the acid they took

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Floyd Fan here

Saw them in concert twice. Once in Philly for Wish You Were Here/Animals tour and another time in Long Island for The Wall tour. I do a lot of their music on guitar, and you'd be surprised at how many folks know the deeper cuts. I do Pigs on the Wing pts 1 & 2 from time to time on open mic night. Never fails that half the bar joins in.

Clyde

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
dannymonky said:
It was not designed to trip u out. These were decent people making good fun loving music..

Ur kidding right? it was the 60's man ....those guys r still coming down from all the acid they took
I am a deep thinker and when I am blazed I can't help but wonder while listening to their music, did they design the music (as geniuses) to trip you out? Or does their *natural* style and sound just happen to be trippy? Did alan parker the director of The Wall and pink floyd make an artistic movie based on roger waters idea/album/thoughts that just happened to blow peoples minds? or did they sit down and say "lets make a non linear film that does not make any sense unless you are trippin balls on acid". ? ? ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The memories of a man in his old age.....

Those jerseys have been out for quite some time. Pretty neat. I don't get the comment about wearing black tho...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I remember when CD players came out and I finally got hold of one (yes, I'm old) --- First CD I bought was 'Wish You Were Here'. It was like a whole new level of Floyd--(and no 'substances' involved for me)... Still the most powerful concerts I've ever seen...

Call_Me_Clyde is right, only a few guitar players have the 'touch' that Gilmour has (think Clapton, Knopfler, BB King, Stevie Ray). The way he bends notes is so cool - no kid looking at the sheet music could get it, have to feel the notes...

Check around for the DVD of the concert they gave Live @ Pompeii. It was soooo cool. They jammed for a couple hours and nobody in the stadium since they were all killed back whenever by the volcano. The scene w/ the hound is too cool -- who rubs a mic on a hound dog's neck and makes it fit w/ the music???

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I'll raise my hand. Was a casual fan up until 1987. And then I saw them in concert, and was blown away. Yes, wear it with pride.

(I only wish they made a Chuck Mangoine jersey. I'd never take that thing off.)

·
ever forward
196 Posts
Easy Dub All-stars

If you are also a fan of reggae, check out "Dub Side of the Moon" from the Easy Dub All-stars. They cover the whole album with reggae groves. It's flippin' awesome. The liner notes give instructions for sync'ing up with WofO.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I wore out two vinyl versions of the DSOTM, got a digital version which holds up better now (and I do still listen to it). I've been amazed at the legs that album has had. When we first got a copy I remember turning the volume way up, just before the alarm clocks go off, for a friend who had somehow fallen asleep after a night of, let's say music-appreciating substances; from a sitting position I swear he jumped at least a foot out of the chair...he was pretty freaked out for a bit. The good ol' days.

I've had my eye on that jersey for a while, but until I see it priced more reasonably I'll pass. The black would be okay on a nice cool day, but on a hot day I couldn't even think about wearing black.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.