Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solace Cycles Pinion OM-2P! My thanks to Jeff at Solace Cycles. It took a while to build because of part delays but they kept me up to date along the way, were very responsive, and built a very beautiful bike. I hate to have to cover it up with my bickpacking gear.

I've taken it on some shorter rides. Because the law says we have to compare it to the Rohloff I'll say that, tentatively, I like it better. I loved the Rohloff but it made a tangible "whirring" noise in the lower gears and I always had the subjective sensation of power loss. The Pinion is much quieter and I can't detect any sound or unpleasant sensation from it. Since I have a belt drive the setup is pretty silent anyway.

I've seen the authoritative web sites that show the Rohloff is four percent more efficient that the Pinion over their gear range and that both are less efficient than a chain and derailleur but honestly, except for the silence, it feels exactly like any bicycle. You turn the pedals and it goes forward. On the flats it is easy to pedal and go fast and on the uphill sections you have to put in some effort.

The only oddity is the twist shifter which is the source of endless IGH vs Derailleur controversy. I like twist shifters. For my application, bikepacking, they work just fine and having to "take pressure off the pedals" to shift is a skill that took me thirty seconds to learn and a minute to master. I have been on steep climbs, stalled out, and the ability to shift down while standing still is very valuable to me.

Disregard if you ride singletrack. Twist shifters work but indexed trigger shifters are much better.

The Pinion is heavy. This would be a light bike because everything is titanium, carbon, or lightweight alloy but it weighs around 28 pounds with pedals. My previous rig with XX1 cranks and GX components everywhere else, also Titanium etc, was a svelte 25 pounds. It has given me an incentive to drop some weight myself.

Just FYI:

Pinion C.12, 12-speed, 600 percent range in 17.7 percent steps.

Rear wheel is from Industry 9. The front is custom built by Wheelbuilder.com around a SON 28 Dynamo hub. Maxxis Ikon 29.2.6 tires

I have Jones Carbon Fiber Loop H bars and Jeff built it with a Niner RDO fork.

I have a Cane Creek eSilk suspension seat post. That thing is only 75 grams heavier than my Whiskey Parts Company carbon seat post.

It has Magura hydraulic brakes which I have never used before but they seem to work fine.

CDX, sprocket and chainring. I went with the stainless steel over allot for durability.

IMG_4872.jpg IMG_4860.jpg IMG_4859.jpg IMG_4855.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sweet ride.....let me know if selling the Rohloff hub....have two already, need another.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts