Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple seasons ago I was running a 29" TRS+ 28H alloy wheelset. 100mi or so after the purchase my front wheel was making a pinging sound usually during a sustained climb w/ any front wheel turning. I spent quite a bit of time messing w/ spoke tension & even replaced the nipples - still pinged. Wasn't until someone suggested the spoke crossings could be the source of the noise - Bingo. A dab of grease @ the spoke crossing & all was well . Pretty much assumed it was flexy rims & E13's Quad butted spokes. Fast forward this season I built a 29" 28H DT Swiss XM481 front wheel using DT Swiss Competition spokes & Squorx nipples. After a couple dozen rides the dreaded pinging surfaced on my DT wheel.

So is this an alloy 28H phenomenon? Thanks.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
It is not a 28h thing. Pinging sounds have been tough to diagnose. I once traced it to a crack in the hub body. Did you use the same hub as before? Sometimes the hub bearing shifts back and forth when the spacing is out of tolerance, which causes noise as well. You could try greasing the spoke crossings again, but the fact that it happens climbing doesn't make a lot of sense since there should be no torque transferred between the hub and the rim on a climb and less weight on the front as well.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not a 28h thing. Pinging sounds have been tough to diagnose. I once traced it to a crack in the hub body. Did you use the same hub as before? Sometimes the hub bearing shifts back and forth when the spacing is out of tolerance, which causes noise as well. You could try greasing the spoke crossings again, but the fact that it happens climbing doesn't make a lot of sense since there should be no torque transferred between the hub and the rim on a climb and less weight on the front as well.
Different hub. The E-13 hub was a symmetrical tall flange & the Newman hub asymmetrical. Maybe I only hear the noise climbing because I am going slow. If I block the front wheel against a wall and torque the bars I can get a ping out of the spokes.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
Try grabbing the top of the wheel and holding the fork while you shift the wheel side to side. This is similar to blocking it against the wall. I'm thinking it's the bearing that is shifting in the hub shell. I've seen bearings shifting on many hubs when the bearing spacing is out of tolerance though it doesn't sound exactly like spokes pinging. Maybe you're hearing it going up hills because it's quiet at that time. Try greasing the spoke crosses and checking again. If there is still a sound, but the pitch has changed then I think it's the front bearing. Sometimes wrenching on the front skewer to make it tighter fills that tolerance void and stops the noise. I would try that next.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WOW !!!
I BOUGHT A 27.5 TRS and now the rear wheel is creaking .Trying to reach customer service at E 13 but because of covid 19 they don't reply until 7 days later :{{{{
What should I do to get rid of the creaking noise.
Yes the whole bike is fine derailleur, cassette......its the rear wheel

PLEASE HELP IM GOING CRAZY

THANK YOU

pHILIPPE

Couple seasons ago I was running a 29" TRS+ 28H alloy wheelset. 100mi or so after the purchase my front wheel was making a pinging sound usually during a sustained climb w/ any front wheel turning. I spent quite a bit of time messing w/ spoke tension & even replaced the nipples - still pinged. Wasn't until someone suggested the spoke crossings could be the source of the noise - Bingo. A dab of grease @ the spoke crossing & all was well . Pretty much assumed it was flexy rims & E13's Quad butted spokes. Fast forward this season I built a 29" 28H DT Swiss XM481 front wheel using DT Swiss Competition spokes & Squorx nipples. After a couple dozen rides the dreaded pinging surfaced on my DT wheel.

So is this an alloy 28H phenomenon? Thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've had a lot of mountain and road wheelsets ping at the nipple/rim intersection (eyelet). A drop of lube at each eyelet works for some wheels. I had a front road wheel that would ping every time that I opened my garage door in the morning because of the much colder air rushing in. It gets really hot in the low desert and it traps the heat in your garage over night. The pinging wheel was like clockwork. The same front wheel needed to have each eyelet lubed every few months or so to prevent pinging on rides. My old Mavic mountain wheelsets with the bladed aluminum spokes needed lube at the spoke intersections quite often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WOW !!!
I hope this is my problem because I never had any pinging noise on dozens of wheels I had :}}}}}
Ill let you know tonight ..

I've had a lot of mountain and road wheelsets ping at the nipple/rim intersection (eyelet). A drop of lube at each eyelet works for some wheels. I had a front road wheel that would ping every time that I opened my garage door in the morning because of the much colder air rushing in. It gets really hot in the low desert and it traps the heat in your garage over night. The pinging wheel was like clockwork. The same front wheel needed to have each eyelet lubed every few months or so to prevent pinging on rides. My old Mavic mountain wheelsets with the bladed aluminum spokes needed lube at the spoke intersections quite often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As I said its not the spokes..Its the hub .E 13 confirmed it .
They had replaced the carbon hub shell by a aluminum one fir that reason .I had loose , broken spokes before on other wheels but NEVER experienced such noise . Besides all.the spokes are tight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.