Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All, Without taking the bike apart, I was hoping to figure out what a knocking or pinging sound is due to. It seems like it's coming from the bottom bracket. It happens at the same point in my peddle cycle (although that point has changed over time). I suspect something is loose like a ball bearing or something is cracked.. It only happens when I'm peddling and there is load on the chain. Any ideas? Thanks!

Audio: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1bidFnmnnGa

·
Registered
987 Posts
There are a thousand times where I thought a sound was coming from bottom bracket area while riding and it has come from totally diff area even as far up as the shock or as far back as the saddle....deciphering sound location while riding is deceivingly hard...a video of the sound could help us decipher what happening for ya

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Remove your pedals, cranks, chainrings, and bottom bracket. Inspect for damage and reassemble everything using whatever grease, anti-seize, or thread-locker is appropriate. Use a torque wrench and the manufacturer's recommended torque specifications. If the sound goes away, you're in good shape. If not, you know the issue is someplace else. That's the only way to do this, no one can diagnose that on the internet.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Bottom brackets go bad, take off your crank and wedge your fingers inside the bb bearings and spin. If they feel gritty it's time to replace the bb. You can try and flush the bearings and regrease but most likely the bearings are a loss.

Might be a good time to check your frame bearings if you have a suspension bike. If they are getting stiff degrease clean and regrease. Or replace if you have play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.