Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of xt hubs with mavic xm321 rims that i purchased online within the last month. yesterday while riding i noticed that when i lean or turn the bike to the right that a pinging noise like something hitting the spokes is coming from the rear (I think) could the spokes be flexing that much or are they just loose and need to be re-tensioned?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Check for loose spokes and detension them by pushing down vertically on the wheel - working your way around a couple times.

It could also be a loose QR or flexing frame or fork that is causing your rotor to chime off the caliper/pads.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Sometimes it's just torque...

All the advice given so far is right on. But sometimes it's just the fact that your massive quads are torquing your wheels in turns and the spokes are rubbing a little where they cross.

If the spoke tensions are correct, the wheel is true/balance and dished properly, then it may simply be that you're flexing the rims and torquing the spokes causing them to reasonate against each other. If everything is correct with the wheel, a tiny drop of dry lube where the spokes cross will help with the pinging.

Ken

·
Registered
601 Posts
also, one more thing

if you have a reflector on it (like i used to, before i shattered it) take it off, if it is loose against the spokes, when you turn, it will hit the spokes making the pinging noise as well.

just a thought

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken in KC said:
All the advice given so far is right on. But sometimes it's just the fact that your massive quads are torquing your wheels in turns and the spokes are rubbing a little where they cross.

If the spoke tensions are correct, the wheel is true/balance and dished properly, then it may simply be that you're flexing the rims and torquing the spokes causing them to reasonate against each other. If everything is correct with the wheel, a tiny drop of dry lube where the spokes cross will help with the pinging.

Ken
I do think that it is the spokes de-tensioning themselves, but at 5'11", 295lbs your comment about the quads may be true. As an aside, my wife got me a Fox Float RLC 130 fork for Christmas and that thing absolutely rocks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts