Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
I was just up there this weekend and it was great! I did the Timber mesa evening beer loop. And had the wife shuttle me on Los Burros clockwise from the top. I found a fun little 2 min. down hill shuttle half way down off of the Lake Mtn. road. I think it was FR 93. The top section has some dead fall, but most of it was clear. I helped as much as I could with out a chainsaw. If it was clear, Burros would make a great enduro trail! Shredtastic... Make sure you stop by the ranger station before Porter Mtn. road for a great moutnain bike trail book, only $2! They're closed for the weekend so make sure to stop in before 4pm on friday to pick one up. The rangers were really nice and imformative. Pinetop is another desintation for some worldclass shredding in AZ. Watch out Sedona, P-top will rise above:) Stop by Cactus Bikes up there and chat with the boys for some local trail and grub knowledge. Have fun in the cool.

·
EDR
10,590 Posts
Los Burros is just minutes ouside Pinetop and is probably the best trail out there. I rode it last weekend and there is quite a bit of deadfall at the top and on the steep hills coming down (counter-clocwise), too bad. It's much more fun when you can blast down the backside.

I do not recommend Porter Mtn. trail (AKA Panorama Trail #635). I rode that from the trail head counter clockwise to the connector (Sawmill) to Timber Mesa and down that clockwise. Panorama had lots of lava rocks, I didn't enoy that trail. The connector is lousy. It's about 5 or 6 miles of singletrack with 6 inch deep horse hoof holes along the entire way. It sucked!

Los Burros has nothing technical. Timber Mesa (counter-clockwise from TH) will give you a rocky|techy challenge for the first half and then it turns into faster forest singletrack. Country Club is in Pinetop and is about 4 miles of easy to very moderate singlerack in the Pines. It opens up to a meadow but is mostly shaded I think. You can do the whole loop in 40 minutes and is nice if you just want an easy ride in the forest.

Check this website out:
http://www.swlink.net/~hokans/AZWM_Trails.html

G

·
eatdrinkride said:
Los Burros is just minutes ouside Pinetop and is probably the best trail out there. I rode it last weekend and there is quite a bit of deadfall at the top and on the steep hills coming down (counter-clocwise), too bad. It's much more fun when you can blast down the backside.
From what the guys up at Cactus in Pinetop have heard from the Rangers up there is that they do not have the funds to clear the trails of deadfall this year, so if anyone does ride it, and can move some of the deadfall, you would be helping out all your fellow riders up there:thumbsup:

·
EDR
10,590 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
From what the guys up at Cactus in Pinetop have heard from the Rangers up there is that they do not have the funds to clear the trails of deadfall this year, so if anyone does ride it, and can move some of the deadfall, you would be helping out all your fellow riders up there:thumbsup:
I would have liked to help out but riding solo and not having any tools or saws there was nothing I could have made an improvement on. Some of the deadfall is so dense, and the upper trail covered in enough pineduff and leaves that it almost disappears, although for just a few dozen yards at a time.

Funny thing...you can ask the Cactus guys if they remember some schlep knocking on the door before 6am Saturday, lol. I was in dire need of sealant. The only one who came to the door was a small dog that jumped off some guy sleeping in a lawnchair of some type. The guy sleeping behind the counter raised his head off the desk then disappeared behind it.

To be very fair, it was early but I thought it was worth a shot, haha.

G

·
eatdrinkride said:
I would have liked to help out but riding solo and not having any tools or saws there was nothing I could have made an improvement on. Some of the deadfall is so dense, and the upper trail covered in enough pineduff and leaves that it almost disappears, although for just a few dozed yards at a time.

Funny thing...you can ask the Cactus guys if they remember some schlep knocking on the door before 6am Saturday, lol. I was in dire need of sealant. The only one who came to the door was a small dog that jumped off some guy sleeping in a lawnchair of some type. The guy sleeping behind the counter raised his head off the desk then disappeared behind it.

To be very fair, it was early but I thought it was worth a shot, haha.
LoL, that was Fish behind the counter, I am sure he was assed out from the night before, the guy on the cot was Steve-O. We got up there that morning about 11 and they were still looking haggared from the night before:D

·
EDR
10,590 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
LoL, that was Fish behind the counter, I am sure he was assed out from the night before:D
Classic! When I knocked on the door I couldn't even see them sleeping in there. I was just hoping somebody was up and about. It wasn't until the doggie jumped up to greet me that I notice real live people.

You gotta be pretty blitzed to make comfortable sleeping arrangements out of a office chair and a desk :thumbsup:

For the first 'upgrade' to that shop may I recommend vertical blinds? LOL.

·
EDR
10,590 Posts
Henrythewound said:
Glad this thread came about, i am headed up there in a few weeks and will need to escape the in-laws at least a few times. Nice links, now I can avoid reposting this question again.
Be aware that if the rainy season starts before you go some of the trails can change drastically. Some of the trails have a clay like base, especially in the open meadows, that isn't meant to be ridden when it's wet. Most of the trails I ventured out to last year during the monsoon season seemed to drain pretty quickly.
I was able to ride Country Club and Los Burros but I turned around and headed home on some other trail...it was just a sticky clay mud-fest and my bike had no business being out there bogging down and tearing up the trail. Apparently horse riders don't share the same mindset. I guess it's b/c they don't have to push their horses through the mud.

·
EDR
10,590 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
FWIW it looks like the WMTS Trail Crew is clearing Los Burros. My Aunt is the trail steward for Ice Cave and here is an excerpt from the TRACKS July newsletter:

Trail Crew: The Trail Crew has worked on the Timber
Mesa Trail and the Los Burros Trail over the past few
weeks, removing downed trees and repairing tread
damaged during the winter. Photos show crew members
using crosscut saw to remove tree from Los Burros Trail.
Won't they have to clear it for the TOWM's race?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info eveyone.

Last weekend was amazing! So nice to be among real trees and cool weather.

Los Burros was worth the trip but really needs to be cleared of deadfall to reach its full potential. It is sad to see the trail so neglected.

That said, if it does get cleared this would make a primo course for the MBAA series.

The next day we did a few laps on a short techy loop south of Los Burros but I am not sure what it was called. Tons of fun and got to improve my tech skills. This would be even more fun on a 29er I imagine. It is just rough enough to be challenging but not kill yourself.

The only bad part was coming back to Tucson. So depressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.