Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

Last Sunday, I started too late (10:30 AM from Deer Park, up to Five Corners, Shafter Grade, unnamed trail by Meadow Club, Bolinas - Fairfax Rd, Azalea Hill ) the last time on the Pine Mountan Loop and by the time I got up t Pine Mountain summit, it was 107 F and I had consumed 84 fl. oz. out of the 116 fl oz. I brought. :madmax: No wonder a couple of hikers told me I started too late as I was grinding up.

I am thinking of starting earlier this time. Maybe drive up at 3 AM from Santa Clara and start riding at 5 AM.

Question: I know the Pine Mountain Loop is pretty remote, especially down the Kent Lake area. Any significant Mountain Lion activity there? I almost always ride solo.

Another thing, what do you regulars do for the goddamn horse flies there? Those critters are aggressive and so hard to kill.

·
Registered
516 Posts
No Mtn lion activity there. if you have a water filter you can fill up at one of the stream crossings before climbing back up to the ridge if you decide to take the loop clockwise.
I enjoy your website and one day if you want company on one of your epics I'm game.
I know the Marin area well, and quite miss it since I moved to the southbay.

CrAzY AnDdY:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, CrAzY AnDdY :thumbsup:

I just bought a water filter from REI tonight. A little extravagant, but I can also use it on my upcoming Half Dome trip.

Company? Sure, man! I hope I can keep up (always stopping for picture opportunities and such :D )

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
There is a lot of wildlife in the Pine mountain area...

cRasHmAstER said:
No Mtn lion activity there. if you have a water filter you can fill up at one of the stream crossings before climbing back up to the ridge if you decide to take the loop clockwise.
I enjoy your website and one day if you want company on one of your epics I'm game.
I know the Marin area well, and quite miss it since I moved to the southbay.

CrAzY AnDdY:eek:
Hey, there is a mountain lion up in the Pine Mountain area. I'm sure there are at least two because I almost ran over one on Kent fireroad two summers ago, it was laying in the sun as I was rolling at about 20 mph. And I've seen a cub run out from under the middle log bridge on Tamarancho last summer and have seen that one several times since then in the early (7 am) morning as it was jogging up the trail in front of me. Its a lot bigger now. And last week, on San Geronimo Ridge there was a patch of scat that was definitely from a large carnivore almost in the middle of the trail.

As long as you keep moving and make noise you're safe, I think.

b

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Spindelatron said:
does one need a boyscout pass to legaly cycle up there or what? I moved to SLO a few years ago and want to go back up there again soon.
Not for the Pine Mountain Loop (which has you dropping on Repack). This does not go on to Boy Scout property, as far as I know.

But if you choose to go through the Boy Scout Camop instead of Repack, then a pass is needed. I think you can buy a day pass online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.