Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have a 2017 pine Mountain with the rigid front fork. I am wanting to put a squishy up front but because of the "boost QR" setup i need a new wheel. My question is i found a 27mm wheel that will fit the fork i want but i know that wont fit the 3.0 tires i have. So i found some 2.8's. Would it be an issue running an 40mm rear wheel and 27mm front wheel with 2.8 tires?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will work, but why not get a wider rim?
Gman
Its a matter of budget. I dont ride hard, mainly trail riding. So the fork isnt anything special either. Im looking at a RockShox Recon RL 130mm Boost. So Really i just need a wheel to use the TA. The LBS has an ARC 27 with a Novatec Hub for $40. Its in good shape so worth it to me. Its just smaller then the rear 40mm Marin rim.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I run a 2.8 on i30 rims and I think that is borderline. Sweet spot for i27 is 2.6 IMO.

You can run a 2.8 on an i27 rim, it will just be a little rounder than ideal (requires more lean in high speed corners) and will need higher pressure to avoid squirm.

By the time you buy 2x 2.8 tires + this wheel you can probably find a different wheel with an appropriate width (i35-40) for your 3.0s. Get on the facebook marketplaces (like the plus bike traderhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/436732279859323/?ref=bookmarks) and keep an eye out for deals.

Your LBS can probably build your current rim onto a new hub for ~$130 ($40 XT front hub, $40 spokes and nipples, $50 in labor). QBP sells a formula hub/WTB scrapper i40 for $165 in boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.