Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the upcoming months I will be in the Rutland area on occasion.

Does anybody have any input in the biking opportunities at Pine Hill Park? Their website is impressive (for community woods) and they encourage mountain biking. There is a map which is great, too. How 'bout safety? This is located on the edge of the bad part of town.

How about other places to bike for an hour or two between Burlington and Rutland?

Thanks in advance!

NW_Vermont.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pine Hill

Pine Hill is excellent. There's about 12-15 miles of singletrack, nothing extremely technical, rocky in places, flowy, lots of cool berms and bridges, well signed. The guy who built it is amazing, he is the Vice Chair of the Vermont Mountain Bike Association. I'll be riding Pine Hill on April 26 (before VMBA board meeting). Thanks, Patrick

·
fliernh
348 Posts
In the past, Pine Hill has been free of snow and ready for riding pretty early. Anyone know the conditions there at this point? I assume still snow covered?

Thanks
Mark

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Pine Hill is not quite ready to ride yet. I stopped and walked in a few hundred yards yesterday, and it singletrack is still snow covered. But it dries out fast, so it should be rideable soon after the snow goes.

NW VT: If you're looking for other places between B-town and Rut Vegas, check out Middlebury. Some nice stuff there.

JZ

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll ride Pine Hill first, and if the opportunity comes up, I may ask for more info on Middlebury's trails.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pine Hill Park is a great park. Great trail network with a lot of flowy trails. I just moved to the area this past summer and rode there 3-4 times a week until early November. I have yet to get bored with the trails there. If you ever want a tour, just let me know, I'd be glad to show anyone around.

As far as it being in the bad part of town, it really is not. The area directly surrounding Pine Hill Park is not bad and safety is certainly not an issue.

As for trail conditions, I will admit the bug bit me hard this week with a warm sunny day with extremely low humidity and I rode. I had hiked there already this spring so I was already aware of the trail conditions. I stuck to trails with Southern exposure and was rewarded with very dry, firm trails and a great early season ride. There was some wet areas near the trailhead, but further in the core of the trails, it was mid-summer trail conditions.

However, we did experience rain last night that was substantial, so I would stay away for a while.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh, and I have a few favorites as far as trails go in the park. Be sure to hit up Underdog connecting with Stegosaurus which is one of the parks more technical segments, and then enjoy RIPPING fast down Strong Angel.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
BigAirSkier1580 said:
........Underdog connecting with Stegosaurus which is one of the parks more technical segments, and then enjoy RIPPING fast down Strong Angel.....
....to Lonely Rock > Rembrandt's > Half Pipe.....repeat as needed :thumbsup:

JZ

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pine Hill Park is the bomb!! Just moved to Rutland in November and rode the trails 4 or 5 times. Very impressed!! As far being a safe part of town there are no worries. I walked my dog out there all winter. Its not liked it used to be in the early 90's. BigAir send me a message if you ever want to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just got back from a ride of Pine Hill.

It is dry and good to ride! The trailheads are also dry and solid. I rode most of the singletrack in the park and came back with clean legs and a clean bike.

From here on out it should just be avoiding the trails right after the rainy periods like we are coming into this weekend.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
:thumbsup:

My fs bike is in pieces right now, awaiting the arrival of a few replacements for parts I wore out last year. But I just put the old hardtail back in working order tonight, and hope to be out there next week after work.

JZ

·
Registered
142 Posts
JimZinVT said:
:thumbsup:

My fs bike is in pieces right now, awaiting the arrival of a few replacements for parts I wore out last year. But I just put the old hardtail back in working order tonight, and hope to be out there next week after work.

JZ

Stay warm! It's looking quite cool next week.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
If it's above freezing I'm usually ok. Did a lot of night riding there last Oct./Nov., and the last few nights were truly cold....Brrrr!

See ya out there.

JZ
(black/yellow Spec, hardtail, and soon, red Spec. fs)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will keep and eye out for you. However my schedule usually lends itself to morning weekday rides.

Black Cannondale Jekyll. I typically ride wearing a green EMS baselayer and a camo hydration pack.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How 'bout Friday 4/10?

I have the opportunity to visit Rutland tomorrow.

It's rained like hell here up north. Can anybody provide any input as to if the trails will be/could be back in the shape they were about a week ago?

Thanks.

BD

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have not been to the park personally for almost a week. It was in great condition last Friday though.

The ground seems to be firm in the yard though. I'd imagine that the trails are overall good to go especially with the sun today.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts