Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting pinch flats on sharp rocks only when I ride National Trail, I'm running freeride tubes (1.2mm thick) not quite a DH tube and Nevegal 2.35 tires with 37 psi front and 40 psi rear, does anyone run UST tires on National. I don't want to run DH tubes/tires because my bike is my all around CC/All Mountain bike, would like to keep the weight down. Thinking of going to Kenda Nevegal UST 2.35. What are you guys running on your All Mountain set ups in AZ.

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Uh, tubeless. UST/ghetto/whatever works for you to ditch the tubes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am an EX-tuber. no mo pinch flats, AND I'M DONE WITH ALL FLATS! unless i cut through the tire with a rim BASH :mad:

·
Registered
347 Posts
azmxr177 said:
I keep getting pinch flats on sharp rocks only when I ride National Trail, I'm running freeride tubes (1.2mm thick) not quite a DH tube and Nevegal 2.35 tires with 37 psi front and 40 psi rear, does anyone run UST tires on National. I don't want to run DH tubes/tires because my bike is my all around CC/All Mountain bike, would like to keep the weight down. Thinking of going to Kenda Nevegal UST 2.35. What are you guys running on your All Mountain set ups in AZ.

I used to have the same problem. I just ride better and try and flow through and over the rocks instead of bashing into them. I know it sounds kinda of lame but it also makes you a faster rider, Plus you wont have to fix a flat every ride,

Later

·
Registered
814 Posts
The UST tires from Kenda are a good compromise as are the LUST sidewall from Maxxis and the SX casing tires from Specialized. If your not cutting the tire though going ghetto tubeless with a split tube will essentially allow you to pinch but not flat.. but it can lead to rim dents.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A.P.B said:
I used to have the same problem. I just ride better and try and flow through and over the rocks instead of bashing into them. I know it sounds kinda of lame but it also makes you a faster rider, Plus you wont have to fix a flat every ride,

Later
I am trying to ride smoother and I've stopped cutting tires. Thanks for all the feed back guy.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
I guess I will ask the question; what kind of bike do you have? How much do you weigh? It is possible that you just aren't running enough air pressure. Is it the front or rear that you keep pinching?

·
Plasko
203 Posts
+1 on tubeless. I'm a massive rider, and the tubeless has proved to be one of the best mods I've done so far. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AzSpeedfreek said:
I guess I will ask the question; what kind of bike do you have? How much do you weigh? It is possible that you just aren't running enough air pressure. Is it the front or rear that you keep pinching?
Gaint Reign X1, 6.7" traval 35 lbs. I weigh 215, front & rear pinches about equal. 37 psi. front and 41 psi rear.

·
Registered
366 Posts
azmxr177 said:
Gaint Reign X1, 6.7" traval 35 lbs. I weigh 215, front & rear pinches about equal. 37 psi. front and 41 psi rear.
Personally, I think you just need a bit more pressure for your weight. That, plus an active vigilance and ride skill. Stay off the seat, and get your weight back when you see the sharp stuff.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Blechh, go tubeless and you won't have to run your tires rock hard. Doing the conversion can be a pain but at least you get to do it in the comfort of your house, with a beer :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
I weigh about the same and I've been running a UST 2.35 Nevegal tubeless for about a month now. Love that tire up front and no problems with flats riding SoMo trails. I'm using DT Swiss tubeless ready rims with the Specialized blue rim tape up front, but I've been running ghetto tubeless on the rear (tire's a Spesh Eskar 2bliss...fine for the back, but not a good front tire) and both have worked perfectly. I keep the front around 35 psi, the rear around 38.

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
In case you still haven't got the point - GO TUBELESS!!! The only thing tubes are good for is to start fires in the rain!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
yes sir gotta ditch anything to do with tubes , tubeless is so nice---------tubes suck, I run low pressures and enjoy the traction and just hammer through hack and rip the corners.

23 25 psi .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts