Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it! I have been going through 4 tubes a month because of pinch flats and thorns. I have tried DH tubes and Slime. It is not working. Right now I have some 717 rims and run 2.35 nevegals. I am not sure If I should buy some 819 ust rims and buy a ust tire set and throw some stans in there or just try the stans no tubes on my 717's? What about using the 819's with non ust tires and stans?

PLEASE!! anyone with some experience with these methods please help! thanks

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Im sure some may disagree but I think ust is the bomb. Ive been running tubeless on the 819s for 8 months now. I put the stans in every few months as it dries up, evaporates, plugs holes. I ride in Vegas where there are thorns, cactus, and sharp rocks galore. I have yet to have a flat other than one time my tire simply ran out of goo. In fact, the tires Im running right now have been thrashed so much that every morning after a ride there are numerous(10-15) spots on each tire where the stans leaked out and plugged the holes:)

Thats my story,

Shawm

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
SMOKEY said:
I have had it! I have been going through 4 tubes a month because of pinch flats and thorns. I have tried DH tubes and Slime. It is not working. Right now I have some 717 rims and run 2.35 nevegals. I am not sure If I should buy some 819 ust rims and buy a ust tire set and throw some stans in there or just try the stans no tubes on my 717's? What about using the 819's with non ust tires and stans?

PLEASE!! anyone with some experience with these methods please help! thanks
Well if you're having thorn problems, I think the sealant is a no brainer. If it were me I would get the kit and run it with the 717s you've already got. Keep in mind the 717 is pretty narrow and with a true 2.35 like the Kenda, you aren't getting the best tire profile and you have a higher chance of burping. I've been running some 317s with Stan's for the last 3 years and can only remember one flat and one burp with 2.0 Hutchinsons. It is still possible to pinch flat a tire as well so keep that in mind regardless of whether it is a UST tire or not.

My second pick would be some 819s with non-UST tires and some Stan's sealant.

UST rims and UST tires would be a distant third option and you would still want sealant in there as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd go straight UST. If you're riding that hard the extra beef of a real UST tire should be a benefit. I ride desert too. The guys around here are running a sealant called "true goo". - www.truegoo.com.

I'm done with Stan's - I have an issue with his valve stems. I asked NICELY for help and got NONE.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
819s, Nevs & Stan's

I'm ran 819s with 2.35 Nevs (I'm trying the 2.1s now) and Stan's sealant all last season and never got a flat once here in goathead infested CO.
This has been my experience with Kenda/819/Stan's:

1. You don't need the rim strip with 819s, but it may help sealing the tire.
2. Use 2 full scoops of sealant for bigger tires.
3. Use very soapy water on the beads.
4. Initially inflate the tires to about 45-50psi to seat the bead, ride the tires a bit, then take the pressure back down to 30-35psi.
5. It will take 3-4 rides for the tire carcass to fully seal and the bead to fully seat. Don't be pissed if you mount the tires and have to inflate them the next morning. Fill 'em up and go ride, then ride some more. I always have to inflate my new tires about every day, until I get some mileage on 'em. Now I only have to put air in them about every 2-3 weeks. That's about the same as my tubed tires, but I don't get any flats in these :D

Or, if dealing with the regular tires is too much of a hassle, get UST and fill 'em with sealant. Should be easier to mount, tougher, and flat-free. The UST Geax Sturdies should be about perfect for you.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Its so frustrating having to puncture 3 tubes in one ride! I really want to go ust rim and tire and throw some sealant. I have heard good things about hutchinsons spider ust tires, I will give them a try. I wonder if it would be worth the money and hassle to buy a stans kit for my 717's? I guess the only problem would be getting the tire to seal on the bead. I may go down to a 2.1 because sometimes I notice my big 2.3 tires flexing to the side becasue my rim is so narrow. With all the technology nowadays, you'd think someone would come up with a solution for preventing flats.......that don't weigh a ton. :)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If you want the least hassle method UST rims/tires and Stans sealant. The sealant is a must no matter which way you go. Thorn punctures becomes a thing of the past as long as you got sealant in there. UST rims are also capable of running conventional tires. I would highly recommend the Spider tires. Hutchinson tires also have the best UST bead which mounts easier than most tube tires and airs up right away.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Hecubus said:
If you want the least hassle method UST rims/tires and Stans sealant. The sealant is a must no matter which way you go. Thorn punctures becomes a thing of the past as long as you got sealant in there. UST rims are also capable of running conventional tires. I would highly recommend the Spider tires. Hutchinson tires also have the best UST bead which mounts easier than most tube tires and airs up right away.
WoRd!

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you do bite the bullet and go with a stans setup, pricepoint has them much cheaper than on Stan's site...just an fyi!

Once you get them sealed the thorn protection of stan's works well for me in my desert climate...good luck!

FB

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
If you're getting so many pinch flats ...

SMOKEY said:
Thanks guys. Its so frustrating having to puncture 3 tubes in one ride! I really want to go ust rim and tire and throw some sealant. I have heard good things about hutchinsons spider ust tires, I will give them a try. I wonder if it would be worth the money and hassle to buy a stans kit for my 717's? I guess the only problem would be getting the tire to seal on the bead. I may go down to a 2.1 because sometimes I notice my big 2.3 tires flexing to the side becasue my rim is so narrow. With all the technology nowadays, you'd think someone would come up with a solution for preventing flats.......that don't weigh a ton. :)
If you're getting so many pinch flats ... have you tried running a higher tire pressure???

Personally, I run with thorn resistant tubes now and haven't experienced a pinch flat since.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
SMOKEY said:
Smokey. At your weight....cut your losses with the half-way measures. Get a good UST wheelset (like 819)...mount it with UST tires and some sort of sealant.....as others have suggested. You'll be happy you did. You'll get rid of most, if not all of the problems that you're trying to solve. Weight shouldn't be an issue here. I weight 170 and ride the setup that I'm suggesting for you...sans sealant (no thorns for me to worry about here).

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I have used higher pressures with thorn resistant tubes but they still seem so bust. I noticed that the slime tubes that I have access to are rated for up to 2.1 tires, I run 2.35 NG's and 2.5 NG. That might have alot to do with it. For some reason I have been busting tubes at the valve lately. I am not sure what it is. I ride through some serious rocks at both high and low speeds and it seems the times that I am running higher pressures are the times that I feel least in control no matter how loose I stay on the bike. Yes, I do get off my seat and loosen up to float over the rocks. ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you are tearing the tubes at the valves you may have excessive bead squirming, particularly if you are a stand-on-the-big-ring-and-hammer kind of rider (rather than a sit and spin) Tire rotation on the rim is not harmful in it's self but if the tube adheres to the tire it will carry the tube with it and tear the tube at the valve. (you can mark the tire and rim to see if the tire is squirming forward on the rim.)
Try coating the inside of the tire with talc which will prevent the tube from adhering to the tire and should prevent this kind of valve tear-out.

Just a possibility...

P.S. be sure to get talc (talcum powder) not cornstarch (some "baby powders" are cornstarch not talc, cornstarch does not work) and be sure that there is no "baby oil" sifted into the talc it (the oil) will be absorbed by the tube (which will soften and weaken the tube)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tears/cuts at the valve can also be caused rough edges on the valve hole or too large of a hole. Either way, smooth the edge. Add a couple of layers of strapping tape over the hole. Cut an X in the tape to open the hole. Press the tape down into the valve hole.

If you are using presta tubes do not use the nut or only lightly snug it down. Tighten the nut too much and it will cause cuts.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks dudes, I read the replies and then went to look at my tires. Sure enough the hole for the valve is way bigger than the valve. I can wiggle the valve around quite a bit. I am going to try some tape like shiggy suggested. I am a stand and mash kind of guy so perhaps my tire is pulling the tube around in there causing it to tear. Great suggestions dudes.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I had MutanoRaptor 2.4's on a 18mm wide rim and it was good until the same stretch of downhill with off camber ruts: pinch flat. Everytime. I kept adding more pressure to the tire, after about 4 times I was content with the higher pressure (and now within tire recs :p )

I have since moved on to wider rims and now realize that the tire was too big for the skinnier rim. That was the source of all my pinch flatting issues.The tire also feels more consistent in turns now with seemingly less lateral flex.

So the moral is, don't go pick up street chicks late at night when you are at the top of your movie career.

Mr. P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.